the 78 failed post race?

I never got attached to manufactures and couldnt bat an eyelash at it. These race car drivers are people. I personally develop sentimental attachments to people, and not objects. It's the driver, the person, the human. Drive whatever you want, if I like YOU, I like you.

Where do these attachments for manufactures come from? Furthermore, why do some "choose" drivers based off a manufacture?

Meaning, why are some of you more attached to machine/representation of machine than man?

Curious how our perspectives differ in this manner.

I'll make it real simple I compare to any sports team. Your a fan of the team so you may like a certain person for whatever reason more than the next but you'll always be a fan of the team. The people will change on these teams but the brand is always there.

Plus for me it's a connection of growing up in a car family, my dad built Fords, has driven Fords his whole life, we have a lot of personal connection to memories brought to us by Ford cars. It could of been with any brand put they have had a special place in our hearts.

I'll make it real simple I compare to any sports team. Your a fan of the team so you may like a certain person for whatever reason more than the next but you'll always be a fan of the team. The people will change on these teams but the brand is always there.

Plus for me it's a connection of growing up in a car family, my dad built Fords, has driven Fords his whole life, we have a lot of personal connection to memories brought to us by Ford cars. It could of been with any brand put they have had a special place in our hearts.
I get it. NASCAR doesn't and hasn't for two decades. I was a KB fan when he drove trucks for Jack, followed him through the dreaded 5 car.
My pops was a Pearson fan so I went there as a kid fan. Plus my dad had some damn hot rod Ford cars, so did my uncle. Both raced Ford stock cars in the Midwest and then went on to drag racing.
I liked Davey and I bummed out over that whole ordeal, then I chose Rusty. Rusty was good until he saw Dale die and then he became a field filler. After that, I went with Carl. So here I am. Now both my boys drive Jap cars. I stick with a driver.

hmmthink.gif

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
‏@DaleJr
Sep 18
LIS machine bout as unpredictable as @austindillon3 haircut

Honestly, I couldn't have said this better myself. I might add that for me, the way Toyota came into this sport, and the respect they have for its history is also important. I have only owned Toyotas. Never even been into another showroom to buy a car. Motorsport is an expression my passion for this brand. When Toyota announced that they were coming to NASCAR, I cringed. I knew what the backlash would be like. IMO, Toyota handled that with big time class. The first time I went to Fontana, I couldn't even buy a Toyota hat because they didn't want piss on the Ford, Chevy, Dodge party. This impressed me. The people of TRD and Toyota impress me, so there's the human connection. The struggle to get to the point now where we set the standard (supposedly) has intensified by passion for this brand. Our friend @Kyle18Fan once asked me if I would no longer cheer for Kyle Busch if he didn't drive for Toyota. My answer without hesitation was, "No, I absolutely would not." Remember, however, that I have never been one to flip a driver off or boo anybody. Doesn't mean I would hate him. Doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate what he has done for Toyota. Just means that I would want anybody in a Toyota to kick his ass.

Nascar Brand Fan.
I knew a few Ford Fans, cheered for anyone in a Ford.

The last manufacturer rivalry I saw in the real world was between owners of diesel pick up trucks. Some people could only have eyes for the Cummins powered Ram's while others preferred the Power Stroke in the Ford's while the Duramax was the best thing since sliced Bread for Sierra and Silverado owners. For the most part brand loyalty among car buyers is dead as someone could put 300,000 miles on a Camry and turn around and buy a Kia for their next ride. It ain't like it used to be where this guy was a Buick man and the guy across the street only bought Mercury's while another guy would only have a Plymouth in his driveway. It is a free for all now.

I prefer the cars with the bowtie stickers and dual exhaust stickers in the "NASCAR spec bod, Jasper crate Cup Series"

The last manufacturer rivalry I saw in the real world was between owners of diesel pick up trucks. Some people could only have eyes for the Cummins powered Ram's while others preferred the Power Stroke in the Ford's while the Duramax was the best thing since sliced Bread for Sierra and Silverado owners. For the most part brand loyalty among car buyers is dead as someone could put 300,000 miles on a Camry and turn around and buy a Kia for their next ride. It ain't like it used to be where this guy was a Buick man and the guy across the street only bought Mercury's while another guy would only have a Plymouth in his driveway. It is a free for all now.

I agree with this. My passion for Toyota + my loyalty is why I stick out like a sore thumb. I have and always will respect the Chevy v. Ford rivalry. Love seeing those hats at the track, and as I have noted before, sitting next to a retired Ford engineer at Michigan last year was pure bliss for me. Great passion, knowledge, respect. The guy was awesome. Can we get it back? Dunno. NASCAR promotes the drivers and teams. Maybe if they started talking manufacturer.....There is a great Manufacturer battle going on right now. Toyota leading with five cars. Five cars. It will be interesting...

I agree with this. My passion for Toyota + my loyalty is why I stick out like a sore thumb. I have and always will respect the Chevy v. Ford rivalry. Love seeing those hats at the track, and as I have noted before, sitting next to a retired Ford engineer at Michigan last year was pure bliss for me. Great passion, knowledge, respect. The guy was awesome. Can we get it back? Dunno. NASCAR promotes the drivers and teams. Maybe if they started talking manufacturer.....There is a great Manufacturer battle going on right now. Toyota leading with five cars. Five cars. It will be interesting...

Manufacturer support and loyalty come from the real world where people plunk down hard earned cash to purchase a vehicle they use every day and unless that changes I don't see the manufacturer ever regaining a foothold in Nascar. I know a student currently driving an 18 year old Camry back and forth to school and the doors close on it just as good as the day it was made. The 4 cyl engine uses no oil and the tranny shifts as it should so I could not imagine her even thinking about buying anything other than Toyota when she graduates. The sad thing is it likely she won't which makes no sense in my world.

My oldest started with a Corolla she and I bought together. When kids came she 'n my son-in-law bought a Sienna. She's on her second Sienna now.

Doubt it's brand loyalty. More a feeling of confidence.

I lean towards the Chevys on the race track because all my favorite drivers are in Chevys. BUT, I drive a Ford F150 Crew Cab and the best car I ever owned was a Toyota Camry.

Back
Top Bottom