The Daytona 500: no longer "The Super Bowl of Stock Car Racing"?

ToyYoda

Team Owner
For years, we've been told that the Daytona 500 is NASCAR's version of the Super Bowl, unique in that it happens at the beginning of the season rather than at the end. But with so much weight and emphasis being put on Homestead now, wouldn't it now be the Super Bowl of Stock Car Racing?

The Daytona 500 is still a big deal, but probably no longer deserves that title.

For years, we've been told that the Daytona 500 is NASCAR's version of the Super Bowl, unique in that it happens at the beginning of the season rather than at the end. But with so much weight and emphasis being put on Homestead now, wouldn't it now be the Super Bowl of Stock Car Racing?

The Daytona 500 is still a big deal, but probably no longer deserves that title.
There are two Bowls now. The Daytona 500 is the Super Bowl, and the Homestead Bowl takes place at the end of the year.

Since we're going in more of a stick-and-ball direction here, I could see them naming various additional races throughout the year as Bowl races. Crap, I hope I didn't just give King Brian another bad idea.

I never bought into the Superbowl hype, so who cares? The name made as much sense as trying to design the chase after football, who actually decide the season champion at their superbowl.

But it's good hype.

The season finale needs to be run elsewhere. Homestead-Miami Speedway is special to me because it's where I saw my first NASCAR race in person. That said, there's nothing special about it.

Finale should be held at Martinsville, IMO.

for months now......you guys have already given tha homestead chase finale race a name = ........ "game 7 " !!
so daytona 500 gets ta keep superbowl status !

ya got me? how long you been a troll?
If you wanna call me a troll because you disagree with me, that's fine. I don't think my original question was a trolling one, though. Homestead is the last event of the season where competitors who have survived the playoffs compete for the series championship, which is awarded at the conclusion of the event. Sounds a lot more like the Super Bowl to me than Daytona does.

Maybe the season should begin and end with Daytona? Remove the second Talladega race, replace it with a short track or a dirt track and bob's your uncle.

The season finale needs to be run elsewhere. Homestead-Miami Speedway is special to me because it's where I saw my first NASCAR race in person. That said, there's nothing special about it.

Finale should be held at Martinsville, IMO.
You complain about the weather there in October.

You complain about the weather there in October.

That's kind of my point though. The weather already sucks and it's not going to be much worse than if they held the date a couple weeks later since the race is going to be in November next year. Just make it the finale.

I think they should rotate the finale to a different track every year. It's only at Homestead because that's been the last race on the schedule since 2002.

That's kind of my point though. The weather already sucks and it's not going to be much worse than if they held the date a couple weeks later since the race is going to be in November next year. Just make it the finale.
The average high in Martinsville the last week of the NASCAR season is the low 50's. The average @ the time it is scheduled now is the upper 60's. I'll take October. Quit trying to move my races! :mad:

I think they should rotate the finale to a different track every year. It's only at Homestead because that's been the last race on the schedule since 2002.
Fontana and Phoenix would be interesting finale venues. I'm not sold on Las Vegas as the final race.

Fontana and Phoenix would be interesting finale venues. I'm not sold on Las Vegas as the final race.
I wouldn't mind it at Vegas, at least it probably wouldn't be freezing there. There are also other places that could host that are still relatively warm in November, Texas and Atlanta come to mind. I don't think I'd wanna see the finale at a plate track though.

You know what I miss? Races that doesn't have sponsors name in them. Like the Southern 500, or the Firecracker 400, now it's all LadyTampons 400 or the Diet Soda that won't really help you lose weight 500.

It is at Homestead because of who owns the joint.

I've been following NASCAR for going on 30 years now. When do I lose the rookie stripe?

Imo your stalker's self aggrandizing and self appointed arrogance doesn't deserve the attention or an answer.
I enjoy your posting and humor, it would be a shame imo for someone that routinely gets off on insulting others to slow you dow

I always look forward to reading your comments.

Back
Top Bottom