The latest to be bit by the new lug nut rule

I wonder why no suspension or fine was announced after Carl Edwards was caught in violation during the All Star Race? Seriously, I expected that to be announced last week, but it wasn't. Anybody know why?

I wonder why no suspension or fine was announced after Carl Edwards was caught in violation during the All Star Race? Seriously, I expected that to be announced last week, but it wasn't. Anybody know why?
non points paying race?

The teams are only getting what they've asked for. Hard to find fault with NASCAR on this issue but I'm sure most will anyhow.
My issue is mostly with the suspensions. Penalty is fine, I just think that's a little steep.

I'm waiting for the repeat offender to be caught. That one will be interesting.
Oh man.

I will say, the CC suspensions while on the surface appear to be a big deal, haven't really seemed to hurt a lot of the teams. These crews work so closely together and are so filled with great minds that subbing in for a race or two goes pretty smoothly for the most part.

Anyone else find it as funny as I do that one of SHR cars was one of the ones penalized for a lug nut issue? Isn't it ironic?

Anyone else find it as funny as I do that one of SHR cars was one for the ones penalized for a lug nut issue? Isn't it ironic?
Bingo!

Stewart went on a rant, accusing the sanctioning body of ignoring a major safety issue. Wheels and tires were gonna fly off and kill somebody. The Driver's Committee supported his position and went public with their offer to pay his fine.

You can only rub somebody's nose in it for so long before you get a reaction and it's never going to be the one you thought you wanted.

Anyone else find it as funny as I do that one of SHR cars was one of the ones penalized for a lug nut issue? Isn't it ironic?

So when does NASCAR finally get their revenge? Lug nut checks that basically ruined the All- Star race.,and now we have ridiculous suspensions and fines to top it off. IMO NASCAR is acting like a bunch of kindergarteners.

I did.These suspensions and fines are so over the top It's embarrassing for the sport IMO. Do you agree with NASCAR ?
Yeah, I've got no problem with it. The teams asked to be policed on it. Fans then went ballistic about it, crying that NASCAR had to do something so NASCAR did exactly what they were asked to do. There was no real problem to begin with. Some drivers, Tony, overreacted and we're where we are at today. I don't agree at all that this is an embarrassment for the sport. I don't think anyone outside of this sport cares at all about NASCAR and who's getting fined for what.

I did.These suspensions and fines are so over the top It's embarrassing for the sport IMO. Do you agree with NASCAR ?
What would you do if you were running Nascar? Starting from the point Tony attacked the self-policing stance Nascar had in place before Richmond.

The drivers and teams are the stars of the show...not NASCAR. However...NASCAR seems to be doing a great job of eliminating the fans.

#42 team this week. P3, $20,000 and cc suspension. LMAO

NEWS: #42 team earns P3 penalty for lug nuts not properly installed in post-race inspection.

Be careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Kyle Larson’s crew chief suspended for lug nut violation at Pocono

For the third time in the past four Sprint Cup points races, a crew chief has been suspended for a lug nut violation.
Chad Johnston, who helms Kyle Larson’s No. 42 Chevrolet, was suspended through June 15 by NASCAR for an improperly installed lug nut after Monday’s Axalta 400 at Pocono Raceway. That will sideline Johnston this weekend at Michigan International Speedway, where the Sprint Cup Series will race Sunday.

Johnston also was placed on probation through Dec. 31 and fined $20,000. He became the fourth crew chief suspended under the new lug nut policy that was implemented for the May 1 race at Talladega Superspeedway.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/06...ef-suspended-for-lug-nut-violation-at-pocono/

Back on post #96 @LewTheShoe had a great question for those of you that are upset with NASCAR over the lug nut rules of 2016. Nobody seemed to have been able to answer him. What would you do?

this is nuts
^ Pun.

It's the result of a childish outburst that was validated by Mr. Stewart's peers. The whole issue could have / should have been resolved behind closed doors. The sanctioning body was publicly accused of ignoring safety ... that was never going to wash.

I'm just grateful that in spite of the fact that people are still tightening 4 and sometimes 3 lug nuts midrace, no wheel and tire combinations have come off and gone tumbling into the stands. sarcasm off ...

Last edited:
Just make it the way it used to be. Officials on pit-road watch the impact gun hit the lugs and be done with it.

Kyle Larson’s crew chief suspended for lug nut violation at Pocono

For the third time in the past four Sprint Cup points races, a crew chief has been suspended for a lug nut violation.
Chad Johnston, who helms Kyle Larson’s No. 42 Chevrolet, was suspended through June 15 by NASCAR for an improperly installed lug nut after Monday’s Axalta 400 at Pocono Raceway. That will sideline Johnston this weekend at Michigan International Speedway, where the Sprint Cup Series will race Sunday.

Johnston also was placed on probation through Dec. 31 and fined $20,000. He became the fourth crew chief suspended under the new lug nut policy that was implemented for the May 1 race at Talladega Superspeedway.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/06...ef-suspended-for-lug-nut-violation-at-pocono/

But no penalties for Brad Keselowski and Paul Wolfe for the blatant cheating?

The 2 was penalized.

He got penalized when it happened early in the race.

If NASCAR is serious about this not manipulating the side skirt stuff, they should send a message and suspend someone. Now, if I was a crew chief and my car was running at the back, I'd take that risk since the side skirt gives you an obvious advantage. What's the worst that's gonna happen?

He got penalized when it happened early in the race.

If NASCAR is serious about this not manipulating the side skirt stuff, they should send a message and suspend someone. Now, if I was a crew chief and my car was running at the back, I'd take that risk since the side skirt gives you an obvious advantage. What's the worst that's gonna happen?

You get caught and sent a lap down. It's much harder to come back and win from that position than it is to win with a backup CC.

You get caught and sent a lap down. It's much harder to come back and win from that position than it is to win with a backup CC.

Keselowski was given a one lap penalty? No. He was given a stop and go penalty.

If NASCAR's serious about this, they should've handed down some penalties after the race too.

At any other track besides Pocono or a road course that would have resulted in going a lap down. Two actually considering he had to be called back in to fix it first. And then despite having the fastest car and enough fuel to make it he still couldn't pull off the win, yet the guy with a backup CC was able to go to victory lane. It's pretty clear who got the worst penalty.

Keselowski was given a one lap penalty? No. He was given a stop and go penalty.

If NASCAR's serious about this, they should've handed down some penalties after the race too.
Quit whining. There is a rule with a precise sanction. You seem to be saying Nascar should make it up on the fly.

NASCAR officials have no plans to alter their new stringent lug nut policy and said criticism from teams “is a little bit disappointing.”

“We’re going to receive criticism no matter what we do, right? That’s part of the game,” NASCAR’s senior vice president of competition, Scott Miller, said Friday at Michigan International Speedway. “Taking into consideration the way we landed – the way we were actually forced to land by the teams and then have the teams come back around on us is a little bit disappointing.

“The truth of the matter is you count up the number of lug nuts that are actually on the cars properly at the end of the race and that shows you they can do it. So, that’s what they need to do – they need to do it.”

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...nut-policy-a-little-bit-disappointing-776468/

NASCAR officials have no plans to alter their new stringent lug nut policy and said criticism from teams “is a little bit disappointing.”

“We’re going to receive criticism no matter what we do, right? That’s part of the game,” NASCAR’s senior vice president of competition, Scott Miller, said Friday at Michigan International Speedway. “Taking into consideration the way we landed – the way we were actually forced to land by the teams and then have the teams come back around on us is a little bit disappointing.

“The truth of the matter is you count up the number of lug nuts that are actually on the cars properly at the end of the race and that shows you they can do it. So, that’s what they need to do – they need to do it.”

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...nut-policy-a-little-bit-disappointing-776468/
All I heard was "bs bs bs and bs. We're too petty to not overreact. Yeah, we're actually the victims here!"
:)

What would you do if you were running Nascar? Starting from the point Tony attacked the self-policing stance Nascar had in place before Richmond.
I don't have a problem with what Nascar did. They tried to give the teams a basic rule and the children got carried away with it. Tony having his rant just kind of sealed the deal. Nascar I guess decided OK you are so worried we'll change the rule to where we will check and penalize for loose lug nuts. The teams were practically begging for a hit. I guess the lesson is to do the right thing when Nascar gives you some power and sure as heck don't call out the people in charge. They have a drivers and owners group that could have got together and made their own agreement, but NOOOOOOOOOO let's whine and complain to Nascar.

Next up..... #4

I wonder if Tony regrets his lug nut rant at this point of the season?

NASCAR gives P3 penalty to No. 4 Sprint Cup team

Rodney Childers, crew chief of Kevin Harvick’s No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet, has been fined $20,000 and suspended through this weekend's race at Pocono Raceway after the No. 4 team was assessed a P3 penalty following last weekend's race at Indianapolis, NASCAR announced Wednesday.

The penalty fell under section 12.1; section 10.11.3.4, lug nuts not properly installed.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...ianapolis-2016-rodney-childers-suspended.html

Perspective.....

@jeff_gluck

The penalty for the winner failing postrace inspection at NH was 15 pts, a $25k CC fine and no suspension or probation. But a lug nut..

Back
Top Bottom