The New Racing Team Alliance

NASCAR confirmed Wednesday that in a move they say is done for legal prudence and not as a sign of animosity, it has directed that all communication between NASCAR and the RTA be done through lawyers.

After the Sporting News published a column on the RTA Tuesday saying the development is a sign of an increased lack of trust between NASCAR and the teams and vice versa, Kauffman tweeted that ISC also has issued a lawyer-only edict.

NASCAR, which sanctions races and runs the series, is a private company owned by the France family, which also controls the majority of the publicly-traded stock of track-operating company ISC. They are no strangers to antitrust issues, having settled one antitrust lawsuit and won another in the last 10 years.

NASCAR uses the legal firm of Boies, Schiller & Flexner — well-known attorney David Boies (whose notable cases include representing Al Gore in his 2000 election challenge, the NFL in its lockout and the NBA Players Association when it was locked out) has represented NASCAR in its two major antitrust lawsuits as well as against NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield.

The RTA has hired the legal firm of Jones Day, which provides representation on financial issues to almost half of the Fortune 500 companies, such as its representing Reynolds American (R.J. Reynolds) in its acquisition of Lorillard announced Tuesday.

“We’re very careful with how we do things,” Kauffman said.

And they apparently need to be. Gary Roberts, a noted sports law expert and current professor at Indiana University, said last week that the organization could open itself up to a lawsuit depending on how it operates.

There is nothing wrong with the teams working together for better purchasing power as long as the people they purchase from are not dependent solely on NASCAR teams for their business.

The danger comes if the RTA represents the teams in any sort of negotiations with NASCAR and tries to use its collective leverage to force NASCAR’s hand.

More on this here.

read full text ....unless bold is gospel ......yep....dp is takin sides . which is ok by me. just contrarian view here.
no mayfield or bruton deal here.
rta is basically rob..rick...roger...gene ...in power terms .
nascar is smaller player ....vs all those guys.
unlike nascar....these guys have legal influence in their other biz ventures.
they don't jump into zip.......w/o legal due diligence...long before this came out.

both only got tiny cahones in leverage tho.... both weak at this point.
both need each other.....they'll work it out.
just deal "posturing " now.

we'll see .....by '15 daytona 500 i hope.

note.....nascar attny david boies recently got calif vote ta ban gay marriage.... reversed in hi court.
may not be good social media info feedback..... for nascar &/or its fans ???

NASCAR confirmed Wednesday that in a move they say is done for legal prudence and not as a sign of animosity, it has directed that all communication between NASCAR and the RTA be done through lawyers.

After the Sporting News published a column on the RTA Tuesday saying the development is a sign of an increased lack of trust between NASCAR and the teams and vice versa, Kauffman tweeted that ISC also has issued a lawyer-only edict.

NASCAR, which sanctions races and runs the series, is a private company owned by the France family, which also controls the majority of the publicly-traded stock of track-operating company ISC. They are no strangers to antitrust issues, having settled one antitrust lawsuit and won another in the last 10 years.

NASCAR uses the legal firm of Boies, Schiller & Flexner — well-known attorney David Boies (whose notable cases include representing Al Gore in his 2000 election challenge, the NFL in its lockout and the NBA Players Association when it was locked out) has represented NASCAR in its two major antitrust lawsuits as well as against NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield.

The RTA has hired the legal firm of Jones Day, which provides representation on financial issues to almost half of the Fortune 500 companies, such as its representing Reynolds American (R.J. Reynolds) in its acquisition of Lorillard announced Tuesday.

And they apparently need to be. Gary Roberts, a noted sports law expert and current professor at Indiana University, said last week that the organization could open itself up to a lawsuit depending on how it operates.

There is nothing wrong with the teams working together for better purchasing power as long as the people they purchase from are not dependent solely on NASCAR teams for their business.

The danger comes if the RTA represents the teams in any sort of negotiations with NASCAR and tries to use its collective leverage to force NASCAR’s hand.

More on this here.
They're going to have to have face-to-face meetings eventually.

read full text ....unless bold is gospel ......yep....dp is takin sides . which is ok by me. just contrarian view here.
Taking no sides because there are no facts about anything yet. Just lots of uninformed opinions and speculations. I figure if we've got the thread for this subject it's worth posting new information about it. I hadn't read anything on here about this part of it. As far as the bold type, I found that statement to be pretty interesting. Thought others may agree.

There's more to that story. It would be worth a click on the link.

I'm not a lawyer and haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in quite a while. Anti-trust laws are complicated and convoluted but Nascar is the sanctioning body, the licensing body, they make the rules, the penalties, the purse, the schedule. They own and operate the tracks the majority of races are held on. How are they not subjected to anti-trust laws?
One article said the RTA was proceeding cautiously to avoid anti-trust issues. Perhaps the RTA should drop Alliance and become the RT Union?

I don't see the team owners trying to disrupt the sport they enjoy and participate in, more likely, trying to expand the field with enough help to keep low budget teams afloat. In today's NASCAR there aren't enough viable teams to support a full field, so in reality, competition only relates to the upper crust money players.

IMHO. NASCAR, board member should be concerned with the best plausible product be on the track on any given Sunday. All monies appear to go directly into the NASCAR coffers and then is dispersed as France sees fit. What protection do team owner's, driver's and crew members have outside of the umbrella of their respective team?

NASCAR, wasn't built by Mr. France alone. It was built by the people who welded up the doors, added a few protection bars and drove the family car in hopes of putting food on the table. My question is, "Is NASCAR a true sport or just entertainment". There should be no fight in this situation and it looks like the King has ordered the drawbridge up, the mote be filled and the soldiers on the ready.

Rant over.

JM 0.2

No animosity...but you can talk to us through lawyers? Yeah right.

Sounds like NASCAR ain't happy about their workers rising up and standing together. I don't blame the owners one bit for doing this.

In the past 5 years or so organizations like MWR, Penske, RCR, Roush have all had to shut down entire teams and release a bunch of employees when they lost sponsorship. Meanwhile the France family continues to add millions to their already massive fortune. It goes to show how tough it is on these teams to stay profitable and competitive. NASCAR asks its teams to invest heavily in their sport, yet they don't seem to be sharing the massive profits with them.

NASCAR might run the sport, but there's no racing without the teams there to do it!

what happened to anybody can talk to us, teams, drivers, we are always open to new ideas.o_O

Here is a really good opinion I think from Humpy Wheeler.

Wheeler made clear his view that costs involved in top-level stock car racing have gotten out of hand and need to be reined in.

"The money issue is something to look at," he said. "Costs have soared for the team with the addition of all types of engineers because of the technical sophistication of suspensions, engines, aerodynamics, etc. Cars are going so fast now the drivers are barely able to hold on to them on the mile-and-a-half and two-mile tracks. And when you go fast it costs a lot of money.

"But it doesn't have to be that way. You could literally cut 50 percent of the cost of the car out by mandating cheaper components. Shocks now cost $5000 apiece. The Monroe shocks that Bill Elliot first ran 200mph at Talladega is still around, except you can buy it now for $65 instead of $85 and you eliminate the shock engineer.

"There are so many other things that can be done to reduce costs and at the same time make the racing better. With the extremely added expense car owners have today, coupled with demolishing three or four cars per season, most of them cannot reduce the whopping' cost of $300,000 or more per race. So many have to have three sponsors, which confuses the public at race time because their favorite driver has a different color scheme almost ever week.

"So you're a car owner of first rank. You have to pay your big-time driver a salary of as high as $3-5 million – yep, there are a couple higher; 30-40 assorted craftsmen and then a super-jock pit crew on race day. Transport the truck; fly everyone out to California and you suddenly realize the expense. Oh yes, you are saying where are the engineers. They are coming about five strong!

"Where does the income come from? Sponsors and prize money. So, you need a $8-10 million dollar sponsor to just break even. So, the prize money is where your profit is but your driver gets 40-50% of that! So, you hope at the end of the year the point monies will help but when you count your profits it is tough to make any.

"So you need more money and the easiest thing to tap is the purse with the tracks getting all that new and vastly increased TV revenue. NASCAR pushes the tracks for purse increases but it is a hard fight as tracks are seeing terrible revenue losses because of the vast empty seats, like we saw in Kentucky recently."

While some immediately leapt on the dangers of developing a rift between car owners and management like the one that grew between CART and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the stewardship of Indy car racing, Wheeler seemed confident NASCAR's owners alliance would be a positive for all concerned.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/10...scar-owners-alliance-will-address-cost-issues

More on this here.

Didn't know that discussions about hotels, airfare, and insurance could get so dicey. So noted. :bsflag:

Whilst they are only communicating through lawyers it will take eons to get any changes the RTA may be looking for so I forsee some activism coming from them with a united front. Subtle at first then an escalation.

Nascar I'm sure sees the RTA formation as a delcaration of war.

I think the next year is gonna get interesting.

Whilst they are only communicating through lawyers it will take eons to get any changes the RTA may be looking for so I forsee some activism coming from them with a united front. Subtle at first then an escalation.

Nascar I'm sure sees the RTA formation as a delcaration of war.

I think the next year is gonna get interesting.
NASCAR is worried, that's for sure. It will get interesting. If anything negative comes out of this, Brian knows it will negatively affect his wallet.

NASCAR is worried, that's for sure. It will get interesting. If anything negative comes out of this, Brian knows it will negatively affect his wallet.

I'm gonna guess that in addition to the money the owners want from the TV package, there is going to be some grandstanding on the engine front. I feel that the tapered spacer will be an intermediate step leading to a full blown reduction in displacement. Look for the RTA to roadblock the complete redesign (too late for the spacer IMO) in addition to whatever free continental breakfasts, wi-fi, and cable they get with their hotel deals.

What pisses me off more than anything is that it is us (the fans) who are played for the fools. Why has this even gone public? What is the freaking point outside of Rob Kauffman insulting all of our intelligences by trying to convince us that a free cookie at check in will improve the sport. I am not as smart as Rob or I would be as rich as him I guess, but this kind of bull**** fires me up. Do not exploit my passion so you can get richer! Then, Helton tells us that there is no animosity while he hires a lawyer. **** that! These rich guys are playing a very dicey game. You go too far trying to improve your profit margin and exploit the middle class dude who eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff; and well, look at the baseball numbers to see how long it takes to recover. I still believe that the fan is irrelevant, but the business model isn't ready to support NASCAR without us.

I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a war, neither side needs that.

It will or a group of rich ego maniacs will look stupid. Rich ego maniacs can't stand to look stupid by definition. Get ready.

I'm gonna guess that in addition to the money the owners want from the TV package, there is going to be some grandstanding on the engine front. I feel that the tapered spacer will be an intermediate step leading to a full blown reduction in displacement. Look for the RTA to roadblock the complete redesign (too late for the spacer IMO) in addition to whatever free continental breakfasts, wi-fi, and cable they get with their hotel deals.

What pisses me off more than anything is that it is us (the fans) who are played for the fools. Why has this even gone public? What is the freaking point outside of Rob Kauffman insulting all of our intelligences by trying to convince us that a free cookie at check in will improve the sport. I am not as smart as Rob or I would be as rich as him I guess, but this kind of bull**** fires me up. Do not exploit my passion so you can get richer! Then, Helton tells us that there is no animosity while he hires a lawyer. **** that! These rich guys are playing a very dicey game. You go too far trying to improve your profit margin and exploit the middle class dude who eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff; and well, look at the baseball numbers to see how long it takes to recover. I still believe that the fan is irrelevant, but the business model isn't ready to support NASCAR without us.

I hear what you're saying but I think it's too early to speculate the exact reasoning behind the forming of the RTA.

I hear what you're saying but I think it's too early to speculate the exact reasoning behind the forming of the RTA.

Why is it a secret? I mean are they pulling this out of their asses as they go? I don't think so. They know what they are doing. They have done it before. I will be shocked if this is only about hotels who put chocolates on pillows. What a waste of time that would have been.

Why is it a secret? I mean are they pulling this out of their asses as they go? I don't think so. They know what they are doing. They have done it before. I will be shocked if this is only about hotels who put chocolates on pillows. What a waste of time that would have been.
I think it's a secret because they don't want to give Brian any opportunity to prepare for and squish what their about to do to him.

I think it's a secret because they don't want to give Brian any opportunity to prepare for and squish what their about to do to him.

Why say anything? Keep it out of the media (as they had), go into a room, do whatever rich guys do, and let's get it on! I am so glad that NASCAR Radio's Dave Moody is on vacation now. I could not listen to another day of his RTA butt kissing. I really don't care about either side. Fix it.

I do agree with what you are saying, but that makes Rob Kauffman one hell of a liar. That's fine because that is business and everything, but leave me out of it, and stay the hell off of NASCAR Radio.

LOL...you have no idea what these guys do for their millions. Saying it's "simply driving a car" is fairly ignorant, don't you think?

Also, there are thousands and thousands of full time drivers at all levels trying to take their Cup rides every single day. 1/10th what they get paid?? Try FREE. Many would even PAY to drive these cars full time.

So... why aren't they? It's just "simply driving a car" right?
Probably because all the current drivers have contracts.

Taking no sides because there are no facts about anything yet. Just lots of uninformed opinions and speculations. I figure if we've got the thread for this subject it's worth posting new information about it. I hadn't read anything on here about this part of it. As far as the bold type, I found that statement to be pretty interesting. Thought others may agree.

There's more to that story. It would be worth a click on the link.

i'm sure you-n- johali will be discussin rta tha entire time at eldora . ha!
hope ya'll have great trip and race is as good as last yr. !

i am going......ta be watching on tv....w/ plenty cold ones too !

what happened to anybody can talk to us, teams, drivers, we are always open to new ideas.o_O

Here is a really good opinion I think from Humpy Wheeler.

Wheeler made clear his view that costs involved in top-level stock car racing have gotten out of hand and need to be reined in.

"The money issue is something to look at," he said. "Costs have soared for the team with the addition of all types of engineers because of the technical sophistication of suspensions, engines, aerodynamics, etc. Cars are going so fast now the drivers are barely able to hold on to them on the mile-and-a-half and two-mile tracks. And when you go fast it costs a lot of money.

"But it doesn't have to be that way. You could literally cut 50 percent of the cost of the car out by mandating cheaper components. Shocks now cost $5000 apiece. The Monroe shocks that Bill Elliot first ran 200mph at Talladega is still around, except you can buy it now for $65 instead of $85 and you eliminate the shock engineer.

"There are so many other things that can be done to reduce costs and at the same time make the racing better. With the extremely added expense car owners have today, coupled with demolishing three or four cars per season, most of them cannot reduce the whopping' cost of $300,000 or more per race. So many have to have three sponsors, which confuses the public at race time because their favorite driver has a different color scheme almost ever week.

"So you're a car owner of first rank. You have to pay your big-time driver a salary of as high as $3-5 million – yep, there are a couple higher; 30-40 assorted craftsmen and then a super-jock pit crew on race day. Transport the truck; fly everyone out to California and you suddenly realize the expense. Oh yes, you are saying where are the engineers. They are coming about five strong!

"Where does the income come from? Sponsors and prize money. So, you need a $8-10 million dollar sponsor to just break even. So, the prize money is where your profit is but your driver gets 40-50% of that! So, you hope at the end of the year the point monies will help but when you count your profits it is tough to make any.

"So you need more money and the easiest thing to tap is the purse with the tracks getting all that new and vastly increased TV revenue. NASCAR pushes the tracks for purse increases but it is a hard fight as tracks are seeing terrible revenue losses because of the vast empty seats, like we saw in Kentucky recently."

While some immediately leapt on the dangers of developing a rift between car owners and management like the one that grew between CART and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the stewardship of Indy car racing, Wheeler seemed confident NASCAR's owners alliance would be a positive for all concerned.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/10...scar-owners-alliance-will-address-cost-issues

good stuff from humpy !
he understands both sides as well as anyone in tha biz.
might be tha go between guy ......and 2 lawyered up groups ?
over bruton' s objections tho ! ha! don't think humpy left on friendly terms ??

rev.....if gettin richer was primary motivater.....rob...roger....rick...gene.....could find much better roi w/ other investments.
ex -- who's footin bill for #41 this yr ?
these guys luv tha sport......as do most owners. that's primary reason why they do it.
give 'em a little slack !

http://racing.ap.org/article/rta-could-close-disconnect-between-teams-nascar

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — There is no clearer example of the disconnect between NASCAR and its teams then the fight earlier this year over the procedures to cool cars down during qualifying.
NASCAR refused to allow the use of cooling boxes, so teams had jerry-rigged a system that created a dangerous on-track situation for the drivers.
NASCAR summoned the crew chiefs from every Sprint Cup organization to hash out a solution. The teams were almost unanimously in favor of using the cooling boxes, but NASCAR officials on that conference call in March wouldn't budge. They were OK with using fans, but smaller teams were against having to go buy them.
Exasperated, NASCAR reminded the participants on the call that the engine manufacturers were against the use of cooling boxes. Two of the top engine builders in NASCAR immediately denied that claim, while one said nobody from NASCAR had even talked with them.
The call had turned comical. In the end, NASCAR allowed the cooling boxes in a small victory for the teams.
The battle to get that win was absurd.
The Race Team Alliance, at its core, hopes to prevent those fights going forward.
Announced two weeks ago, the RTA was described as "a collaborative business association" between nine teams that for the first time creates "a single entity to engage with stakeholders on creative ways to market and experience the power of the sport's teams and drivers."
Michael Waltrip Racing co-owner Rob Kauffman is the elected chair of the RTA, and thus the mouthpiece. He has talked of banding the RTA teams together for purchasing power, creating travel partners and finding a common insurer. The RTA is not, Kauffman insists, a union. And if the goal is to seize a larger share of the TV money, that's not a topic any members of the RTA are openly discussing.
"That's a big obvious issue that's out there that the teams really have no influence or control over," Kauffman said of the $8 billion in TV money that is split with the tracks (65 percent), teams (25 percent) and NASCAR (10 percent). "We're going to focus on stuff we can do. If someone wants to discuss any big picture issues, we're happy to discuss and engage in a constructive way."
NASCAR has made it clear it isn't talking to the RTA about anything. Despite NASCAR President Mike Helton's dismissal of any animosity between the two sides, the RTA was informed all communication must go through NASCAR attorneys. International Speedway Corp. issued the same command, for reasons NASCAR Chairman Brian France on Monday called "legal mumbo jumbo."
In his first comments about the RTA, France said he didn't think the team alliance was necessary "and we thought the benefits they would arrive at with this association would be much smaller than they do."
"The one thing that is central to NASCAR, is when you hear one voice, that probably would be the worst thing we could ever do, is to listen to one voice, even if it was a consensus voice," France said on SiriusXM NASCAR. "Every decision we've ever made that's important, the more people we've heard from, the better the result. That will never change in the business model of NASCAR because good ideas come from all over the place and that's the strength that we have. Our communication has never been better ... and we need to keep building on that and get the best outcome we can."
Sure, it is NASCAR's court and nobody has to play NASCAR's game. But it's the only game in town for high-performance, profitable racing, and being part of the show means playing by NASCAR's rules.
Only NASCAR seems to have gotten so big that it's lost sight of the plight of its primary "stakeholders." The teams have always existed under an owner-operator model. It's risky. It's dangerous.
Bill Davis once won the Daytona 500 and the Southern 500 as a Sprint Cup Series team owner. He entered drivers in all three of NASCAR's national series, but when the economy collapsed in 2008, his sponsorship evaporated and his NASCAR participation came to a halt. In the cruelest twist of all, he won the Truck Series championship on his final weekend of NASCAR participation.
When it was all said and done, he had a building and some used parts and a little bit of equity in the owner points he'd accumulated that season to show for his 20-year NASCAR career.
It's a fear every NASCAR owner loses sleep over. When a sponsor pulls out, the whole house of cards can come crashing down. Kauffman lived it last fall when NAPA Auto Parts left MWR and the organization was forced to lay off one-third of its workforce.
So who can actually blame these owners for not resenting the NASCAR model just a little bit? After all, the Buffalo Bills may sell for at least $1.1 billion — a far sweeter golden parachute than listing used car parts on EBay.
It's unclear if altering the landscape to a franchise model is on RTA's ultimate agenda. For now, the owners insist it's about creating one voice to benefit every team — and there's a need.
Several years ago, Rick Hendrick organized a meeting between many of the top owners, who all put together lists outlining their concerns. After debate, the group whittled it down to roughly a dozen ideas on how NASCAR could help them save some money. Nothing spectacular — maybe $1 million a team in savings.
The list was presented to NASCAR, which heard the ideas with deaf ears.
Perhaps the RTA will soon have the authority to step up and demand cost-saving measures. But for now, the question is not what the RTA is out to accomplish, but what took the team owners so long to get their act together.

good read fb. even w/ jena fryer script.
several yrs ago ...rick's group didn't have tha leverage they do now.
betcha uncle jim pulls brian off interview stage tho ! shut tf up ! ha!

"The one thing that is central to NASCAR, is when you hear one voice, that probably would be the worst thing we could ever do, is to listen to one voice, even if it was a consensus voice," France said on SiriusXM NASCAR. "Every decision we've ever made that's important, the more people we've heard from, the better the result. That will never change in the business model of NASCAR because good ideas come from all over the place and that's the strength that we have. Our communication has never been better ... and we need to keep building on that and get the best outcome we can."
NASCAR didn't even bother to tell Nextel about the possibility of a playoff system until after the completion of the naming rights deal back in '03.

NASCAR didn't even bother to tell Nextel about the possibility of a playoff system until after the completion of the naming rights deal back in '03.

or nextel guys never asked ?
where are nextel guys now ? not at sprint .....thank goodness...for them !

or nextel guys never asked ?
where are nextel guys now ? not at sprint .....thank goodness...for them !
I think it's on NASCAR to disclose that during negotiations rather than having to count on the other party asking "Hey, any thoughts about significant championship format changes?" Especially since NASCAR had reportedly been looking at the Hooters Pro Cup Four Champions Challenge for a while. That is a glaring omission.

I think it's on NASCAR to disclose that during negotiations rather than having to count on the other party asking "Hey, any thoughts about significant championship format changes?" Especially since NASCAR had reportedly been looking at the Hooters Pro Cup Four Champions Challenge for a while. That is a glaring omission.

fl....a joke......google nextel / sprint merger.

fl....a joke......google nextel / sprint merger.
I know, Nextel/Sprint obviously agreed to it later on and are still in the sport so it didn't hurt NASCAR, but I hear more about how key parties weren't consulted before certain decisions that makes it look like NASCAR doesn't communicate as much as they claim. Like the aforementioned engine builders saying NASCAR falsely represented their position on the use of cooling boxes and one even saying NASCAR never talked to them about the cooling issue. Shady stuff.

I know, Nextel/Sprint obviously agreed to it later on and are still in the sport so it didn't hurt NASCAR, but I hear more about how key parties weren't consulted before certain decisions that makes it look like NASCAR doesn't communicate as much as they claim. Like the aforementioned engine builders saying NASCAR falsely represented their position on the use of cooling boxes and one even saying NASCAR never talked to them about the cooling issue. Shady stuff.

actually ..was reference ta fact that most nextel honchos got let go....after merger.
course....sprint wound up writin off nextel acq. later.....irony.

nascar no longer has big stick like back in early 2000's.
neither does rta now.
whole new symbiotic table they both sit at now.

Are you sure about that? I thought I remember some Nextel executive at the time claiming that the Chase was because they wanted to "make an impact on the sport". Maybe I'm misremembering or it was a line of bull****.

Are you sure about that? I thought I remember some Nextel executive at the time claiming that the Chase was because they wanted to "make an impact on the sport". Maybe I'm misremembering or it was a line of bull****.
The original article is gone but the content is still archived:

Nextel Communications, which takes over as sponsor for NASCAR's Cup series in 2004, is meeting with NASCAR this week to seek information about a proposed addition of a playoff format to its top series, officials with the sponsor confirmed Tuesday. Nextel, which signed a 10-year deal in June to sponsor the Cup series, was not informed of NASCAR's desire to change the current points system before its deal with NASCAR was completed, sources confirmed. NASCAR officials maintain they are seriously considering a plan that would create a 26-race "regular season" and 10-race playoff format. Only the top-10 drivers in points after 26 races would be eligible to race for the championship over the final 10 races. A decision is expected next month. Since the plan first became widely circulated during the annual Cup awards banquet weekend in New York, Nextel has received an "overwhelming" response regarding the proposal from fans, sources said. Fans have flooded Internet message boards and radio talk shows discussing the playoff system. Some have mistakenly credited Nextel with pushing for the change. The plan, however, has been promoted heavily by new NASCAR chairman Brian France. In two recent Internet polls - one which is still underway - race fans have overwhelmingly expressed their disapproval with the playoff format.
http://www.jayski.com/teams/chase2004.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...car-race-team-alliance-brian-france/12967329/

But it seems NASCAR's most influential team owners don't feel that way, since they banded together to form the RTA and speak as one regarding many issues facing the sport. And while France acknowledged the RTA "may figure out some things we're not aware of" in terms of reducing costs, he repeatedly said NASCAR would be "business as usual." That includes holding firm on the allocation of a mega $8.2 billion TV contract that kicks in next year – 25% of which goes to the race teams (65% goes to the tracks and 10% goes to NASCAR). The RTA is said to want a bigger piece of the pie, but France said the current percentages were "set for historical reasons – because it's the right allocation."

Oh boy.

image.jpg

Exactly. I remember someone on TV saying the no touch rule during qualifying was to save money by requiring fewer officials to keep track of the whole thing. Back then, you had to lift the hood to attach the cooling box, which would require an official at each car. Penske came up with the cowl hook-up, and nascar still said no...probably because after all the lies they forgot why they really said no in the first place. Why on Earth would the manufacturers be against cooling boxes anyway? The excuse doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom