The real championship thread

J

JEB

The objective for this thread is to keep track of, and discuss, the correct format for the NSCS.

After New Hampshire

Top 25 in 2014 Sprint Cup Driver Points Standings (not the Chase):

[after New Hampshire, race 28 of 36]
(using current points system, but not the Chase rules)
1) #24-Jeff Gordon(C7), 975
2) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.(C5), 951, -24
3) #22-Joey Logano(C2), 916, -59
4) #2-Brad Keselowski(C1), 915, -60
5) #48-Jimmie Johnson(C4), 873, -102
6) #4-Kevin Harvick(C3), 872, -103
7) #20-Matt Kenseth(C9), 854, -121
8) #31-Ryan Newman(C12), 837, -138
9) #99-Carl Edwards(C8), 828, -147
10) #42-Kyle Larson, 821, -154
11) #16-Greg Biffle(C14), 802, -173
12) #5-Kasey Kahne(C11), 787, -188
13) #1-Jamie McMurray, 782, -193
14) #15-Clint Bowyer, 781, -194
15) #18-Kyle Busch(C6), 761, -214
16) #3-Austin Dillon, 759, -216
17) #27-Paul Menard, 753, -222
18) #55-Brian Vickers, 736, -239
19) #11-Denny Hamlin(C13), 705, -270
20) #41-Kurt Busch(C15), 695, -280
21) #9-Marcos Ambrose, 684, -291
22) #43-Aric Almirola(C16), 670, -305
23) #47-AJ Allmendinger(C10), 664, -311
24) #78-Martin Truex Jr., 642, -333
25) #13-Casey Mears 636, -339

More like an alternate universe, as we've never had the 43-to-1 points scale without a Chase. I'm always interested to see how things would have shaken out in previous formats though.
I really like the way the points are calculated. Just apply that to the old championship format, and NASCAR would have a winner.

I really like the way the points are calculated. Just apply that to the old championship format, and NASCAR would have a winner.

This is my thinking as well.

The points being how they are now, you're not going to win a championship by 500 points anymore. Not only did they change the points but they added it on top of the chase AND then proceeded to take a dump on it by doing the bracket BS which totally negates points in all.

So I wonder why do they even have a point system? Doesn't even work for the regular season anymore.

IMO, the Cup Championship became irrelevant in 2004 when they began to "Chase" their tails.
Eff The Chase, enjoy the race (thanks Mr. Gregory.)
Every race is a new series. The previous race is not affiliated in any way with the current race or the race after. Just think of it as going to a different local track in a different state every week.
Who cares anymore which driver wins the Championship where the rules change every year?

And the fans are losing interest in a sport where the imaginary points system this year will be a figment of your imagination next year.
As long as JJ doesnt win year after year after year after year I think older & casual fans will return. As sad as that sounds its probably true.

With all due respect, this is pointless in the sense that the teams run their seasons completely differently because of the new format. Having said that, Jeff Gordon is incredible.

As long as JJ doesnt win year after year after year after year I think older & casual fans will return. As sad as that sounds its probably true.
It doesn't matter who wins anymore.
Let's just hope that Brian France kills the sport back to a time where adults are $12, 13-17 are $8, kids 12 & under are free, hamburgers are $1.50 and beers are $1.75
We're well on our way. :)

And the fans are losing interest in a sport where the imaginary points system this year will be a fig ment of your imagination next year.
Except the current points system actually used by NASCAR isn't imaginary. What NASCAR says is law (at least until they change it again ;)), not what "the fans" want.

IMO, the Cup Championship became irrelevant in 2004 when they began to "Chase" their tails.
Eff The Chase, enjoy the race (thanks Mr. Gregory.)
Every race is a new series. The previous race is not affiliated in any way with the current race or the race after. Just think of it as going to a different local track in a different state every week.
Who cares anymore which driver wins the Championship where the rules change every year?
No prob, Bob...by. :)

Eff the 2014 Farce for the Chumpionship.

Eat, sleep, eff the Chase, repeat. Eat, sleep, eff the Chase, repeat.

That is all. :mellow:

It doesn't matter who wins anymore.
Let's just hope that Brian France kills the sport back to a time where adults are $12, 13-17 are $8, kids 12 & under are free, hamburgers are $1.50 and beers are $1.75
We're well on our way. :)
and don't have to camp in lot 13 at Dover 4 days before the race. when you camp right across the street from the track back in the day.

Kasey Kahne and Denny Hamlin now have the same number of points as Brad Keselowski and Jeff Gordon. Seems legit. :rolleyes:
Absolutely. A driver with five season wins deserves no greater recognition than drivers with no wins.
Think of it like your local tee-ball. There are no losers. Everybody gets a trophy. Life is good. :)

FWIW - 2014 Cup Series using F1 points system (1st- 25, 2nd- 18, 3rd- 15, 4th- 12, 5th- 10, 6th- 8, 7th- 6, 8th- 4, 9th- 2, 10th- 1)

#1 Brad Keselowski - 265
#2 Jeff Gordon - 260
#3 Joey Logano - 236
#4 Dale Earnhardt Jr. - 208
#5 Jimmie Johnson - 206
#6 Kevin Harvick - 203

There you have the three drivers with the most wins comfortably ahead of the rest of the field, which is how it should be. And every race would matter.

Can the guy just have his thread in peace? lol

The only problem I have with this is that folks usually use this line of thought to discredit JJ six. Everybody knew the rules and even though Harvick my favorite had more overall points than JJ in 2010, I still respect JJs title.
They both knew the rules and format in advance, and JJ won it fair and square.

This year is the first year that I lost the respect. It is a more entertaining method, but still to much like Russian roulette. There is no way one race should be so weighted.

The only problem I have with this is that folks usually use this line of thought to discredit JJ six. Everybody knew the rules and even though Harvick my favorite had more overall points than JJ in 2010, I still respect JJs title.

This year is the first year that I lost the respect. It is a more entertaining method, but still to much like Russian roulette. There is no way one race should be so weighted.

Oh I agree Gregzky.

Same here. I didn't mind the previous Chases, just this one.

NASCAR record books prior to 2004 should be burned. After that the record books for each year should be in a different room.
Petty don't matter anymore. Those were the covered wagon days. Pearson, who?
The here, the now, is all that matters.
This is no longer a sport. It's now a business. It funds Brian's lifestyle and his next divorce decree.

Same here. I didn't mind the previous Chases, just this one.
Yep, I'm with y'all. Does this make us moderate Chase rebels? :)

Back
Top Bottom