Think Nascar has some dumb rules now?

Tennessee Racing

Formerly Stewart Fan
Go on YouTube and watch the 1991 Daytona 500. You couldn't change tires under a yellow. The lap you were allowed to pit was determined based on where you qualified(even or odd number). Plus there was something about a blue sticker that I can't quite figure out. I'm sure I watched that race live but being only 4 at the time I don't remember it.

Go on YouTube and watch the 1991 Daytona 500. You couldn't change tires under a yellow. The lap you were allowed to pit was determined based on where you qualified(even or odd number). Plus there was something about a blue sticker that I can't quite figure out. I'm sure I watched that race live but being only 4 at the time I don't remember it.

Rudd looks to get back on track after sobering pit stop with tragedy Countdown to Daytona
February 12, 1991|By Sandra McKee | Sandra McKee,Evening Sun Staff
Ricky Rudd is a soft-spoken race car driver. Despite the rugged business he is in, gentle is a word commonly used to describe Rudd's friendly, boyish disposition, his easy smile, his friendly hello.

But four months ago, he came down pit road at Atlanta International Raceway for a pit stop and the boy in him was lost forever.

The brakes on his car locked, spinning the 3,500-pound Chevrolet 180 degrees. The car slammed into the right side of Bill Elliott's race car, crushing one of Elliott's crewmen, who was changing a rear tire.

Mike Rich lost his life that November afternoon, and Ricky Rudd lost his youth. One is gone forever, while the other is left to deal with the loss for the rest of his life.

read more at …

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-02-12/sports/1991043179_1_ricky-rudd-pit-road-pit-stop

Rudd looks to get back on track after sobering pit stop with tragedy Countdown to Daytona
February 12, 1991|By Sandra McKee | Sandra McKee,Evening Sun Staff
Ricky Rudd is a soft-spoken race car driver. Despite the rugged business he is in, gentle is a word commonly used to describe Rudd's friendly, boyish disposition, his easy smile, his friendly hello.

But four months ago, he came down pit road at Atlanta International Raceway for a pit stop and the boy in him was lost forever.

The brakes on his car locked, spinning the 3,500-pound Chevrolet 180 degrees. The car slammed into the right side of Bill Elliott's race car, crushing one of Elliott's crewmen, who was changing a rear tire.

Mike Rich lost his life that November afternoon, and Ricky Rudd lost his youth. One is gone forever, while the other is left to deal with the loss for the rest of his life.

read more at …

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-02-12/sports/1991043179_1_ricky-rudd-pit-road-pit-stop

When did they implement pit row speed limits?

Yeah........... '91 started out as a crazy season for pitting......... no one could make sense of it.

Read the article I posted … anyone who watched the race saw the accident on pit road that cost Mike Rich his life …

I believe in 91 after Rich was killed …

Read the article I posted … anyone who watched the race saw the accident on pit road that cost Mike Rich his life …
Oh yeah ........ I recall the accident as though it was yesterday...........Believe me....... I was watching the race....... It was the down to the wire race for Mark winning the Cup........

the accident …

God-damn. Something like this happened at the homestead race when Ward got out of his pit stall and nailed a Rudd crew and an official.

They came away with their lifes though. And the car wasn't out of control.

God-damn. Something like this happened at the homestead race when Ward got out of his pit stall and nailed a Rudd crew and an official.

They came away with their lifes though. And the car wasn't out of control.

Yep … it happens at the 2:00 mark of this video … l was at the race …

This was when NASCAR mandated that pit crew members had to wear helmets …

NASCAR has always been reactionary.

Difference between then and now? NASCAR realized how bad this was and changed the policy to something more logical. If this were today, we'd still have this system but with some "twist" that "makes it more exciting."

NASCAR has always been reactionary.

Difference between then and now? NASCAR realized how bad this was and changed the policy to something more logical. If this were today, we'd still have this system but with some "twist" that "makes it more exciting."

NASCAR has always been reactive as opposed to proactive … it still does not excuse them from not putting safety first for both the drivers and pit crews …

It is sobering to realize that Nascar fans 30 and under have no recollection of the event that led to pit road speeds. In reality the rules that were put into place after Mike Rich was killed were not the least bit difficult for me, and I am sure many others, to follow. Also you have to put the rules into context as a man had just been killed so the fans were happy to work with Nascar and the tracks while they figured out the best way to make pit road safe for all the crews.

I disagree with pit road speed limits.

No speed limit, but the pit crew can't go over the wall until the car is in the box and at a complete stop.

I disagree with doing away with speed limits. However I do think they should have to wait until the car is at a complete stop.

Only dumb luck has prevented a mid 40's+ overweight nascar pit road official from getting tagged as they count right side lug nuts. I wonder if a close call got someone's attention? Could that have been the push for cameras watching?

Going 60 on pit road is ridiculous. Imagine standing in the middle of the interstate.

I disagree with pit road speed limits.

No speed limit, but the pit crew can't go over the wall until the car is in the box and at a complete stop.

Yea, no. I'm not in favor of doing away with pit road speed limits. The lack of pit road speed limits is what cost Mike Rich his life.

I remember years ago when that moron Keith Olbermann was mocking NASCAR for having a pit road speed limit. I thought you stand out there with a car trying to go from 180-0 in a few hundred yards and we'll see how you like that rule.

Is there a race series that doesn't limit pit road speeds?

I remember years ago when that moron Keith Olbermann was mocking NASCAR for having a pit road speed limit. I thought you stand out there with a car trying to go from 180-0 in a few hundred yards and we'll see how you like that rule.

Keith Olbermann is a horses ass, but he knows he's a horses ass, so that's how he makes his living.

Back
Top Bottom