Those pointless points are getting ready to matter

Don't the winners get a bonus advantage going into the the chase round and its why the drivers want to win more races? What I mean is Larson going to be already behind going into the chase if he makes it on points? He would have to leap frog three other guys in three races to make the next round.

Don't the winners get a bonus advantage going into the the chase round and its why the drivers want to win more races? What I mean is Larson going to be already behind going into the chase if he makes it on points? He would have to leap frog three other guys in three races to make the next round.
It's just 3 points per win for the first round only. Pretty easy to overcome. Tony Stewart went into the 2011 Chase with no bonus points from wins and ended up winning the whole thing (obviously).

It's just 3 points per win for the first round only. Pretty easy to overcome. Tony Stewart went into the 2011 Chase with no bonus points from wins and ended up winning the whole thing (obviously).

the points get reset for every round, 4 rounds, start with 16, 3 races, reset the points drop lower 4, then 12, reset points, 3 races drop 4, reset the points, then 8, reset the points, 3 races drop 4 and those 4 go for the title. I think the last race only there isn't any bonus points for leading a lap or laps led. Any driver that wins a race automatically advances to the next round.

Don't the winners have to be in the top 20 to make the Chase? If so, a couple winners need to get it in gear.

the points get reset for every round, 4 rounds, start with 16, 3 races, reset the points drop lower 4, then 12, reset points, 3 races drop 4, reset the points, then 8, reset the points, 3 races drop 4 and those 4 go for the title. I think the last race only there isn't any bonus points for leading a lap or laps led. Any driver that wins a race automatically advances to the next round.
Yes, but for the first round you get a bonus of 3 points for every win in the "regular" season. After that, the points are reset flat regardless of wins.

• Challenger Round (races 27–29)
      • Begins with 16 drivers, each with 2,000 points plus a 3-point bonus for each win in the first 26 races.
    • Contender Round (races 30–32)
      • Begins with 12 drivers, each with 3,000 points.
    • Eliminator Round (races 33–35)
      • Begins with eight drivers, each with 4,000 points.
    • NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship (final race)
      • The last four drivers in contention for the season title start the race at 5,000 points, with the highest finisher in the race winning the Cup Series title.

Yeah okay, that makes sense. I can see why drivers want the more wins. A bad race won't hurt a guy that much in the first round if he has like six wins going in.

confusing too that the rest of the field is still trying to race and win while tippy toeing around the chase cars, almost sure to have some more "Joey" moments. Help us all if the 88 or the 24 gets involved, Gordo and Jr might have the stands empty and converge on Morgan never to be seen again.

Current Cup Standings:

Attachments

• 2014 Cup Standings - Indianapolis.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 100
No not at all.... but thats not what he said

.. also... Larson winning at Homestead... this year..... No. Too much pressure, too many veterans, hes never been in a position like that.. wouldnt happen, itd be great to see though.
People also thought Almirola would never win a race. Anything can happen.

Actually, Larson wouldn't even have to win at Homestead to win the championship. He'd just have to finish ahead of the three other remaining contenders.

So then we'd have a rookie winning the Cup without a win to his name and . . . . Chip Ganassi's face everywhere.
Hmm good point. So with NASCAR putting so much emphasis on winning races it's still possible to win the championship without winning a single race.

Hmm good point. So with NASCAR putting so much emphasis on winning races it's still possible to win the championship without winning a single race.

Dont worry Brian can always issue an edict or justice serving adjustment if the results are not desirable.

Which is really great, the more important post monday race hub ratings should be great. Everbody wins.
Perhaps it could even go on thru to the following Wednesday, if enough folks demand justice.

I hope Brian is Homestead when......

1) Jr, who is leading the points by 50 under the old format, loses the championship when he finishes 7th and JJ finishes 8th at Homestead.

or....
2) The championship is awarded to a driver who finishes 24th, beating the other 3 contenders.

or.....
3) The four contenders cross the finish line at 90 mph while trying to save fuel.

or....
4) Tires start popping, and the champion is the guy with the best DNF.

About 4....

What happens if there's a wreck that takes out all of the contenders at Homestead? Will ESPN put a camera in the garage as the teams race to get their car back out so they can win the championship?

What happens if there's a wreck that takes out all of the contenders at Homestead? Will ESPN put a camera in the garage as the teams race to get their car back out so they can win the championship?

Will not happen or highly unlikely. Other cars will be expected not to rac.. I mean not to touch them.

Miraculously all four of them will be the class of the field that day. Think of it as a four car race, with 39 secondaries.

If NASCAR did try and make it harder for Johnson to win another a championship with this new format, I hope he goes out and wins all 10 chase races just to give NASCAR the a giant middle finger

And no, I am not a Johnson fan

Teams should be eliminated from championship contention when they are mathematically eliminated - not by some elimination round reality tv bull ****

I really hope a driver like Johnson, Harvick, Keselowski, or maybe even Gordon gets eliminated after the first knock out round & then goes on a tear in the following races to win the majority of them and collect more points than anyone in the chase - but it doesnt count because of the knock out.

Teams should be eliminated from championship contention when they are mathematically eliminated - not by some elimination round reality tv bull ****

I really hope a driver like Johnson, Harvick, Keselowski, or maybe even Gordon gets eliminated after the first knock out round & then goes on a tear in the following races to win the majority of them and collect more points than anyone in the chase - but it doesnt count because of the knock out.

You are asking for something pre chase because every chase format reset points. I dont like the chase but its here to stay.

Paul Menard really wishes he had some of those meaningless points now, too. Went from "In The Chase" to 28 points out thanks to today's big one and getting Juan Pablo'd last week.

After 21 races, a driver with two Top 5s and eight Top 10s sits 5th in points. NASCAR wouldn't need a playoff system if they didn't dump such a dumbass points scale on themselves to begin with. I can't even understand how NASCAR can want to place so much emphasis on winning and eliminations during the Chase but still award Chase berths based on the current points system. Completely inconsistent.

After 21 races, a driver with two Top 5s and eight Top 10s sits 5th in points. NASCAR wouldn't need a playoff system if they didn't dump such a dumbass points scale on themselves to begin with. I can't even understand how NASCAR can want to place so much emphasis on winning and eliminations during the Chase but still award Chase berths based on the current points system. Completely inconsistent.
easy now...j/k....he's playing by the rules, maybe dumb rules, but no different than a driver making the chase that's in the mid 20's with 1 win getting in

easy now...j/k....he's playing by the rules, maybe dumb rules, but no different than a driver making the chase that's in the mid 20's with 1 win getting in
I get that. I like Newman. I don't blame him or his team for playing the system right. The system just seems inconsistent.

I get that. I like Newman. I don't blame him or his team for playing the system right. The system just seems inconsistent.
i know, i was just messing with ya, i too think this format is stupid. only saving grace to it, the not so worthy one will or should get booted as it goes along. but even that has a chance of blowing up a legitimate contender for the championship.

looks like larson / dillon keepin a close eye on points !

Tight battle for those final spots.

And, what with 11 different race winners and only five races left until the Chase, any driver who has won a race has virtually clinched one of the 16 spots in the Chase.

Seems the only way a race winner wouldn't make the Chase now would be by failing to start one of the next five races.

And even that is at NASCAR's discretion.

Also, how could I forget that if, in each of the next five races, Kurt Busch finishes dead last AND David Gilliland averages approximately 37 points per race, Busch would drop to 31st in the standings and therefore not qualify for the Chase even though he's won a race.

Are we having fun yet ?

I'm a pretty big homer and I really don't think Kenseth is going to get a win before the Chase. Best shot for him will be the Chase races in Chicago, Kansas and possibly Martinsville (was really good there in spring). If he can get into the top four for the final race, he's got a really good shot to win it all since he loves Homestead.

Really rooting for Larson to be in the Chase and to finish high.

What a rookie season.

I don't see any first time winners left unless Kenseth somehow gets it together. Kensth, Newman, Larson will make the chase imo Bowyer, Biffle, Kahne will fight for the last spot.

I don't see any first time winners left unless Kenseth somehow gets it together. Kensth, Newman, Larson will make the chase imo Bowyer, Biffle, Kahne will fight for the last spot.
Newman at Richmond....that Biffle mess yesterday hurt his points....but really he's around where he is every year, just in, just out. but the no DNF's until yesterday sure helped, but the @ 8 laps led so far has hurt.

Newman at Richmond....that Biffle mess yesterday hurt his points....but really he's around where he is every year, just in, just out. but the no DNF's until yesterday sure helped, but the @ 8 laps led so far has hurt.
@ 1.25, it didn't happen anything like Newman said it did. Biffle's car is on the far right. 3 wide in the turn also. Looks like Newman screwed up and hooked himself when he tagged Biffle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom