Tire test at Michigan

I love the Gen 6. I love the speed. I love the spectacle. The tires are improving the racing. We shouldn't limit it by any means.
Welcome to the forum bud! I like your enthusiasm.

215 top speed is not unusual for Michigan, when the top 5 in qualifying is normally above 200mph average speed.
Yeah, this could be the trap speed before they start braking for the turns. They were hitting 214 last year after the repave with the new cars, so this is nothing new.

I have been going to MIS for many years. Those cars today were running bad awful fast. :)

From Jayski:
Teams to test at Michigan UPDATE3 - 215mph & 217mph: a few NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams will test (tires) at Michigan International Speedway on Tuesday, April 8 & Wednesday, April 9. Scheduled to test are: #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #16-Greg Biffle, #15-Clint Bowyer, #21-Trevor Bayne and #31-Ryan Newman. The Turn 1 grandstand seats will be open for fans free of charge on April 8-9.(MIS)(4-2/8-2014)
UPDATE: Greg Biffle's #16 Ford Fusion was first car on track at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn on Tuesday in a delayed start to the two-day Goodyear tire test there by several Sprint Cup teams. Four Cup outfits, led off by Biffle, who drives for Roush Fenway Racing, and #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. took the track mid- to late-afternoon after a lengthy delay due to moisture on the 2-mile oval thought to be originating from behind the concrete walls following a brutal winter. The problem was addressed by MIS staff and Goodyear personnel and testing finally cranked up around 4:00pm/et. It was scheduled to continue into early evening, or when it became too dark to run safely. #21-Trevor Bayne and #15-Clint Bowyer also participated in Tuesday's test. #31-Ryan Newman is expected to join in with the others at MIS Wednesday. Fans are welcome to watch the tire test free of charge Wednesday from the Turn 1 grandstand seats.(Detroit Free Press)(4-9-2014)
UPDATE2: How fast is NASCAR's new Sprint Cup car with new aerodynamic rules on one of its fastest tracks? #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. topped 215 mph during a test Wednesday morning at Michigan International Speedway, one of NASCAR's fastest tracks. Track president Roger Curtis tweeted about Earnhardt's fast speed. Clint Bowyer, meanwhile, said he ran 217 mph during Wednesday's test.(Sporting News)(4-9-2014)
UPDATE 3: Blazing fast speeds continued at Michigan International Speedway on Wednesday during the second of a two-day tire test. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver #15-Clint Bowyer said he went 217 mph during the morning session. "That's white-of-your-eyes-fast," he added. Bowyer, along with #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #16-Greg Biffle, #31-Ryan Newman and #21-Trevor Bayne are taking part in the second of a two-day Goodyear Tire test at the two-mile racetrack. Earnhardt Jr. said he was hitting speeds between 212 to 215 mph in the straightaways and about 180 in the turns. And while speed was the topic of the day, the drivers were at the track to test tires for Goodyear.
"This is one of our better tracks, and our fans will probably say the same," Earnhardt Jr. said. "Having the success here over the last four or five years has given us a lot of confidence when we come here, and I think that's why Goodyear brings us to test. "I enjoy racing here. It's a fun track. The asphalt is really aging well and it's just going to keep getting better and better over the next couple of years."
Newman and Biffle agreed, adding the winter has aged the track, making the super-smooth surface less oily, and creating additional grooves. "I think (Michigan) will be a good race; I really do," Biffle said. Though speeds on a racetrack are sexy, speedway President Roger Curtis said passing and fierce competition is what makes great racing. "The drivers are posting 200 mph. That's awesome. The fans get very, very excited about that. But at the end of the day, on Sunday when the green flag drops, the numbers 'two zero zero' they're not anywhere in the fans' minds. It's lead changes, it's the competition." The track was repaved in 2012, making for blazing fast speeds. Since then, the asphalt has aged but NASCAR has made significant changes to the cars, thus keeping speeds very fast. The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returns to Michigan International Speedway this summer for two weekends: Quicken Loans 400 weekend, June 13-15 and Pure Michigan 400 weekend, Aug. 15-17. For tickets and camping, visit www.MISpeedway.com or call 800-354-1010.(MIS), see some video of the test at RPM2Night.com.(4-9-2014)

Back
Top Bottom