Tony S. on being angry...

S

Splunge

During the Bristol race, they showed a interview with Tony talking about how he thinks fans/sponsors like his temper and agressiveness and that vanilla drivers aren't being real and are boring....

This after he's intentionally booted cars in the last 2 races...

Personally this is exactly why I don't like him...and if I had lots of money, wouldn't want him representing me or my company....

Just my opinion....

Just curious as to where you guys draw the 'line'....would you sponsor him? If not, who would you sponsor and why?

Me - I'd sponsor Jimmie, since I really do think he loves and respects the sport....(I know you're suprised!) ;)

Where would I draw the line? Ok... speaking strictly as far as a sponsors point of view:

I wouldn't like the bump and run guys----if it's Earnhardt or Ernie Irvan or Kurt Busch,etc.. I would steer clear of those types as far as sponsoring one went. I also wouldn't want an obvious malcontent, so I would be leery of Harvick,etc.

I would want someone who was cool yet ran up front enough and had a shot at winning. Also someone who didn't wreck a lot would be preferable.

I would take someone like JJ or Kenseth or Martin or even Jeff Gordon---those guys are visible enough for the right reasons usually.

I'd sponsor Tony.

Man he can drive the wheels off anything and he is interesting and "real"

Expecting drivers to act like "gentlemen" and wanting to sanitize the sport to the point where it becomes unrecognizale doesn't work for me.

Excuse me Mr. Gordon, I didn't mean to touch your fender....yeh as if!

Originally posted by Lizzycat@Mar 31 2004, 06:18 PM
I'd sponsor Tony.

Man he can drive the wheels off anything and he is interesting and "real"

Expecting drivers to act like "gentlemen" and wanting to sanitize the sport to the point where it becomes unrecognizale doesn't work for me.

Excuse me Mr. Gordon, I didn't mean to touch your fender....yeh as if!
You said it good enough for me to Lizzy. B)

I'd also sponser Kasey Kahne, Greg Biffle, Matt, Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Jamie, Johnny Benson, Kenny Schrader, Brian Vickers, JJ Yeley. :D

I wouldnt sponser Stewart, Earnhardt or Spencer, since they either have attitudes or do either really good or really bad on race day. Then i would stay way from people that cause the most wrecks, like Green, Andretti, Sauter.. I would sponser mayb Jeff Burton since he has no sponser and with a good car he could really promote my product

Oopssssss!!!!!!!!!! Forgot 2 important ones, Jeff Burton And Bobby Labonte. :rolleyes:

Depends on your product...

Always that Rent-A-Wreck shoudl sponsor Todd Bodine... or Macco....

Imagine the Macco commercial....

Two neighbors standing in a front yard talking. A moving truck pulls up to the house across the street. Todd Bodine steps out of the truck. The Neighbors look at each other and simulaneous say "uh oh. better get Macco."

During the Bristol race, they showed a interview with Tony talking about how he thinks fans/sponsors like his temper and agressiveness and that vanilla drivers aren't being real and are boring....

That is so true! He wasn't boring at all, he was quite entertaining actually, I was laughing my butt off at him as he was sitting on pit road staring at a Nascar official with his hand on his head and one finger pointing to heaven. You just know he had to be aggrivated beyond belief! He was correct. I liked it.
JPM_rofl.gif

Originally posted by Flamebow@Mar 31 2004, 05:57 PM
That is so true! He wasn't boring at all, he was quite entertaining actually, I was laughing my butt off at him as he was sitting on pit road staring at a Nascar official with his hand on his head and one finger pointing to heaven. You just know he had to be aggrivated beyond belief! He was correct. I liked it.
JPM_rofl.gif
OH yeah...I was trying to remember the situation of what made the timing of that clip so great!

Him getting a penalty lap for "just being himself!"....

...oh the irony...
:lol:

Personally I can't stand Stewart but from a business stand point, he is getting the air time that Home Depot wants. We don't know what is said behind closed doors between sponsors and drivers, for all we know he may be told to ruffle some feathers. After all Home Depot Carries a lot of money for the team. I'm wrong 99.9999% of the time anyways.

I know if he don't watch it he's gonna flush a great career in cup right down the crapper. JMO

I think Tony is just venting his frustration, but he does need to concentrate more on his driving. He had calmed down quite a bit and won the Cup Championship but now seems to be reverting to his old patterns. He may need a good old fashioned whopin behind the woodshed and a refresher course in anger management.

Originally posted by kat2220@Mar 31 2004, 08:01 PM
He may need a good old fashioned whopin behind the woodshed and a refresher course in anger management.
giljotiini.gif

Couldn't find a wood shed! :lol:

I wouldn't want my company associated with Tony Stewart.

In all honesty, I'm sure one of the reasons I usually drive past Home Depot to go to the Lowe's a mile further from the house is Tony. It isn't really rational, but I'm sure it plays a bigger part than what I would like to admit. The major reason I don't like Home Depot is that there is never anyone to help you and when there is they don't know anything about the product, or project you have questions about. But, I'm sure Tony has something to do with it too. ;)

I would sponsor the Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, clean cut types. Although Jeff has certainly had his problems in the past few years, I know he's too mature to show his :moon: on camera when things don't go his way. There are several others like Dale Jarrett and others who I would sponsor, but names escape me right now.

I usually reserve this for 97, but

Attachments

• Whip_that.gif
    Whip_that.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 123
If I were the person in charge of awarding or continuing sponsorship for Tony Stewart I probably would not look too heavily at his temperament. All I want is my product in potential customers' view. Yeah it would be great if I got the extra minutes if that driver is out in front and the cameras are on him almost constantly...........and a big bonus is if he should get even more time in front of cameras in Victory Lane!! :) So, a good driver is pretty high on my list. But, I also know there's only one winner in each race and it's not really realistic to think your sponsored car is going to be up front every race..........so, I sure wouldn't mind a "colorful" driver for those times either. So that would rank pretty high on my list too. :) Tony fills both those "desirables". I wouldn't can him! I'm not looking for people to like my driver............I'm looking for people to remember Home Depot. It's business for me.........not personality. :)

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 31 2004, 08:26 PM
Although Jeff has certainly had his problems in the past few years, I know he's too mature to show his :moon: on camera when things don't go his way.
But he has! But he has!

Every time Robby Gordon wins Jeff acts like an :moon:. :lol: :p :lol:

Simply put.. Tony Stewart is real. I like his attitude, and he can flat out drive a race car.

I'm not kidding, but thats also why i'm fond of Kurt Busch. He can flat out drive.

The only 2 drivers I don't like are Stewart and Harvick (no offense slick-nick). The reason being is that they dish it out but can't take it. I don't like the "it's always someone else fault my poop don't stink" attitude. They would probably be 2 of my favorites if they kept the attitude yet were more well rounded (like some of the old school drivers). You guys are throwing this real word around too much. I don't think it's being "real" just because you act like a b\a and are never wrong. Strong character involves being wrong sometimes and admitting it. I think the best drivers are the ones that are somewhat rough around the edges yet know when to be that way. A perfect example is Harvick talking about Busch's sponsor. Why do that? Nothing good comes from crap like that. Be a b\a on the track but use common sense when opening your mouth. It's fine to use attitude, but use it when you need to or are provoked, insulting folks for no reason is not cool. In the past drivers used to police stuff but nascar has gotten so politically correct that it has kind of made the sport boring at times. However, I would still bet that eventually someone is gonna put Harvick and or Stewart into the wall. Their day will come. Good luck finding drafting partners at Dega and Tona, Harvick.

All that being said, I think Tony is the best pure driver on the track and Harvick is top 5, both have great pure instincts and skill with the cahones to put the car in places where it shouldn't go. There are also wayyyyy too many vanilla drivers. I agree with Stewart on that.

Keepin it real. LOL

I don't think Tony will have the least problem with a drafting partner at Dega or Daytona.

The misconception is because fans don't like some of these guys, they assume the other drivers don't also.

From a corporate standpoint, exposure and marketability are king. You want a driver who gets the car on TV, more often than not in a positive way. Consistency matters too. Matt Kenseth, Ryan Newman, Bobby Labonte and Jimmie Johnson rank high there.

Then again, you can't go wrong with Junior. His mug is gonna be plastered on everything under the sun. May as well be wearing your company's logo.

For pure spokesman abilities, I think Ward would be hard to beat. Love him or hate him, you know every race fan stops what they're doing to hear him talk.

I wouldn't stick a nickle in Harvick's pocket to save his life.

Originally posted by Hawk3270@Apr 1 2004, 01:08 PM
The only 2 drivers I don't like are Stewart and Harvick (no offense slick-nick). The reason being is that they dish it out but can't take it. I don't like the "it's always someone else fault my poop don't stink" attitude. They would probably be 2 of my favorites if they kept the attitude yet were more well rounded (like some of the old school drivers). You guys are throwing this real word around too much. I don't think it's being "real" just because you act like a b\a and are never wrong. Strong character involves being wrong sometimes and admitting it. I think the best drivers are the ones that are somewhat rough around the edges yet know when to be that way. A perfect example is Harvick talking about Busch's sponsor. Why do that? Nothing good comes from crap like that. Be a b\a on the track but use common sense when opening your mouth. It's fine to use attitude, but use it when you need to or are provoked, insulting folks for no reason is not cool. In the past drivers used to police stuff but nascar has gotten so politically correct that it has kind of made the sport boring at times. However, I would still bet that eventually someone is gonna put Harvick and or Stewart into the wall. Their day will come. Good luck finding drafting partners at Dega and Tona, Harvick.

All that being said, I think Tony is the best pure driver on the track and Harvick is top 5, both have great pure instincts and skill with the cahones to put the car in places where it shouldn't go. There are also wayyyyy too many vanilla drivers. I agree with Stewart on that.

Keepin it real. LOL
I don't think that Tony or Kevin either one will have a problem finding drafting partner at Daga or Tona. For the simple reason they have real cars and can drive the wheels off of them. They can run up front. That's the kind of person you want to draft with. Rather you like them or not. :cheers:

Then why was Harvick complaining that no one would help or run with him at Daytona earlier this year? Am I the only one who saw that interview?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, ya know, I preferred the past years of NASCRASH racing.
All sports are very competitive and NASCAR and it's drivers are no different.
I can't go with the "vanilla" type of driver any more than I want Cup racin to be done in "glass cars"!!
Rubbin and bumpin has always been part and parcel of the excitement of the sport.
If you take away all the different personalities and make each driver a "Cookie Cutter"
copy of all the others, why play at all. Talk about BORING!!!!!
I miss the he!! out of DE sr. Didn't particularly like him, but he was always a factor in every race. And he
raced from the heart.
So, I think you can see where i am going with all this. YES, indeedy, I do like Tony, and Jimmy Spencer as well!! And all the other guys that race with their hearts. None of them want to kill each other nor
themselves, and I feel NASCAR is slowly making Cup racin a vanilla sport, with vanilla drivers, and
takin the heart outta the fun. JMHO
105-02_ani.gif

Originally posted by Hawk3270@Apr 1 2004, 05:54 PM
Then why was Harvick complaining that no one would help or run with him at Daytona earlier this year? Am I the only one who saw that interview?
Yep I saw the interview. Maybe he was talking about his team mates or something. He must have had some king of help because he finished 4th. That is no easy task with no help. He either had help or he's a whole lot better driver then I think he is. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom