Toyota's entry into Cup making many nervous

It is true that Toyota has defined a new and more costly business model for auto manufacturers in Nascar. Toyota has taken over responsibility for an extensive range of functions that have traditionally been managed and paid for by the race teams. And that is what Jack Roush was warning against.

Recently, there are signs Ford is accepting the spending challenge. Lord help us (Lord help Nascar) if Ford management changes its mind on that. Chevrolet may still be resisting. Lord help us if Chevy withdraws or allows their support spending to fall behind. Dodge is gone already. I don't attribute Dodge's departure to Toyota's new business model, but it may have been a factor. Dodge was trying to stay, even after Penske switched to Ford, but couldn't come up with arrangements that seemed likely to succeed at reasonable cost.

My bottom line opinion: Toyota in Nascar has been good for the sport in many ways, but if it comes down to a spending war, the milk goes sour pretty quick.

Never really thought about it, but the decline of NASCAR tracks much more closely with the entry of Toyota than with the Chase. I've never really had a problem with Toyota being in NASCAR (though I'm not a fan). Perhaps others did.

Ford Racing's Davis has a different view.

"If you look at the engineers I've lost, they're a predator as far as I'm concerned," Davis said as he shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know how you can come in and do a good job and be competitive and try to do your very best right away and not be a predator. I don't think it's possible."

Davis said Ford lost its top engineer to Toyota, whom he estimates received a 200 to 300 percent pay increase from the Japanese manufacturer.

I always thought Toyota's entry offended the old-style, extremely traditional stereotypical NASCAR fan base who, if we had it there way, everything on the car would be made in America and Daniel Suarez would be ran out of the garage.

Ford Racing's Davis has a different view.

"If you look at the engineers I've lost, they're a predator as far as I'm concerned," Davis said as he shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know how you can come in and do a good job and be competitive and try to do your very best right away and not be a predator. I don't think it's possible."

Davis said Ford lost its top engineer to Toyota, whom he estimates received a 200 to 300 percent pay increase from the Japanese manufacturer.

This is racing. Poaching has been done since the inception of racing. It has been done by every organization and is happening today. Having more competition is a great thing on many levels. Can you imagine NASCAR being nothing but Ford vs Chevy? That would play right into the stereotype that is destroying the fan base. Maybe a box of Kleenex is what we should be talking about.

Toyota entered cup about the same time the COT made its debut.

If Ford or Chevy "bow out" the whole series will go under. Its on thin ice as is. TV ratings down and fans not showing up. nascar isnt shown on the popular channels anymore, NBCSN? FOX1? People with antenna tv cant watch. You never get to see a 25th place driver goes to his favorite track and run good, its always the same drivers in the top 5 or 6 every week. No wonder f the fans arent showing up. Todays race will be single file all day long, boring.

The outcry from the mob will grow louder if the domination continues. It's amazing that some can't see the helicopters of Japanese capital being infused into NASCAR from the foreign car manufacture.

The outcry from the mob will grow louder if the domination continues. It's amazing that some can't see the helicopters of Japanese capital being infused into NASCAR from the foreign car manufacture.

Didn't Brad win 4 races in a Ford ?

Didn't Brad win 4 races in a Ford ?
Harvick won the title in '14 in a Chevy, keeps racking up the top 5s, and is leading the points. The Penske Fords have been qualifying threats every week since the 'knock out' format was introduced. Ford and Chevy had 21 of last year's victories, not quite two thirds but likely within statistical deviation. There was only one Toyota eligible for the championship at Homestead in '14 and '15.

But don't bother with facts. Any discussion started by dredging up the decade-old opinion of an owner now in decline was flame bait from the get-go. Check the OP's obsessive record on the subject.

Harvick won the title in '14 in a Chevy, keeps racking up the top 5s, and is leading the points. The Penske Fords have been qualifying threats every week since the 'knock out' format was introduced. Ford and Chevy had 21 of last year's victories, not quite two thirds but likely within statistical deviation.

But don't bother with facts. Any discussion started by dredging up the decade-old opinion of an owner now in decline was flame bait from the get-go. Check the OP's obsessive record on the subject.

The made in America Toyotas are really not a concern anyway ........ great to see Americans building things

He and StandOnIt would have gotten along great. SOI was obsessively anti-Toyota as well.

Dude, if you have anything to say to me, I strongly suggest you do it publicly in discussions. Peer mails can be used to your disadvantage.

But 4 or 5 Cups in a row for HMS / Chevrolet was ok with you.

Moronic thread.

If Ford or Chevy "bow out" the whole series will go under. Its on thin ice as is. TV ratings down and fans not showing up. nascar isnt shown on the popular channels anymore, NBCSN? FOX1? People with antenna tv cant watch. You never get to see a 25th place driver goes to his favorite track and run good, its always the same drivers in the top 5 or 6 every week. No wonder f the fans arent showing up. Todays race will be single file all day long, boring.

This.

I feel left out, I havent got a PM from taco, what do I have do to get one?

I LOVE Japanese cars, is that good enough?, sadly, I am down to one in my driveway .

I feel left out, I havent got a PM from taco, what do I have do to get one?

I LOVE Japanese cars, is that good enough?, sadly, I am down to one in my driveway .
You aren't missing anything. Mine said EXACTLY what you'd expect.

The made in America Toyotas are really not a concern anyway ........ great to see Americans building things
They are assembled in America, not made. In what state are the toyter engines made? clue, tokyo isnt a state, yet.

Back
Top Bottom