Toyota's entry into Cup making many nervous

You didnt quite comprehend the joke. I'm not picking on American toyoter employees. Now, on a different note, I was wondering if the 30,000 + japanese employees working in the GM, Ford or Dodge japanese plants get the joke. Food for thought.................................
What does Dodge have to do with this? They're an Italian company. o_O

You didnt quite comprehend the joke. I'm not picking on American toyoter employees. Now, on a different note, I was wondering if the 30,000 + japanese employees working in the GM, Ford or Dodge japanese plants get the joke. Food for thought.................................
GM, Ford, and Chrysler don't have much of a presence in Japan, but they do in a lot of other countries. GM is bigger in China than they are here, and Ford has had a presence in Europe and Australia for decades. Not sure about Chrysler, but the example I posted several posts back illustrates that they're anything but 100% American.

Kindly explain where I am wrong, Aunty. You don't believe currency manipulation is occurring?
I will try.

Of course currency manipulation is occurring. The article you linked included accusations of just that against China, Korea, Germany and Taiwan as well as Japan. The Treasury Dept. doesn't mention US currency market manipulation. I wonder why?
Everybody does it. No different than auto racing ... you have to have a strategy to combat the strategies of your competitors. The US and Canada were involved in a 2 decades long battle over the shipment of Canadian forest products moving over the border. The whole thing was about the value of currency and a tariff imposed by the US to protect its own forest industry, which could not supply US demand.. All over now ... tariff gone.

You cannot do well long term in a global marketplace / economy if you practice nationalism, regionalism and protectionism. Globalism has been with us for some time ... there's no going back.

If you like the American cars, that's great. If you like the foreign ones, that's great too. The more choices, the better. I for one am glad we have more than just GM, Ford, and Chrysler to choose from.
I am glad Japan sells cars here. The only options we had in the past was cars that couldn't last the payments needed to buy one. You know your getting taken to the cleaners when the employees who are unskilled workers are being paid a total package of $78 per hour.
Another is the great advertising, " now and we will take $10,000 off the asking price."
How about the suckers who bought last month??

Now that I think about it, Chrysler is an Italian company that was purchased from a GERMAN company.
Chrysler is an Italian company purchased for pennies on the dollar from the Canadian and Us governments. In other words the taxpayers are footing the bill.

Chrysler is an Italian company purchased for pennies on the dollar from the Canadian and Us governments. In other words the taxpayers are footing the bill.
No doubt, but it isn't 'American' any more. There are people here who condemn Toyota as a 'foreign company' and complain about the corporate profits going overseas, but then mention Dodge in the same breath as Ford and GM as if it wasn't operating the same way.

No doubt, but it isn't 'American' any more. There are people here who condemn Toyota as a 'foreign company' and complain about the corporate profits going overseas, but then mention Dodge in the same breath as Ford and GM as if it wasn't operating the same way.
You bring up a good point, when Dodge came back to NASCAR, they were then owned by Daimler-Benz till around 2007, so its that double standard once again, it was ok for Dodge to be in NASCAR, but not that evil furrin company Toyota

... Another is the great advertising, " now and we will take $10,000 off the asking price."
How about the suckers who bought last month??
Yeah, but that isn't unique to 'American' dealerships. They all do that, regardless of country of origin or corporate HQ.

I hate the car-buying process. That's one reason I refuse to consider buying one until the old one has failed beyond the point of affordable repair. I always leave feeling like I've been screwed, without getting dinner before or kissed after.

The outcry from the mob will grow louder if the domination continues. It's amazing that some can't see the helicopters of Japanese capital being infused into NASCAR from the foreign car manufacture.
The Ford Fusion is made in Mexico. The Chevrolet SS is made in Australia. The Toyota Camry is made in Georgetown, Kentucky. Which one is the foreign car manufacturer?

The Ford Fusion is made in Mexico. The Chevrolet SS is made in Australia. The Toyota Camry is made in Georgetown, Kentucky. Which one is the foreign car manufacturer?
And GM selling Buick's made in China, people need to realize that the whole foreign vs domestic's ended a long time, and we now are in a global automotive economy, and Ford/GM are partners with many other car manufactures. I hate the double standard , damn those furrin cars, but its ok for Ford and GM build and import cars from other countries, I know, go "murica"

Once again, this is very relevant
http://www.automotivefamilytree.com/

Last time I checked the headquarters for Toyota was in Japan, at a placed called Toyota-Cho, Toyota City. I do know they assemble Toyota's in the USA with some parts made here, but no all parts.

Last time I checked the headquarters for Toyota was in Japan, at a placed called Toyota-Cho, Toyota City. I do know they assemble Toyota's in the USA with some parts made here, but no all parts.
What's your point, that 'foreign' is defined by where the HQ is? If that's the definition you're working from, why do you think that matters more than where the cars are assemble?

Assembly plants employ far more people than HQs do. I'm pretty sure employees in Toyota plants are glad those jobs are in this country. I know my acquaintances in South Carolina's BMW plant are glad it's here, along with the Volvo plant under construction.

Look at the expenses of any manufacturing business vs. its profits. The biggest costs are usually materials and employee compensation. (Often employee benefits are a bigger slice of the budget than payroll.) Yes, some of those materials come from countries other than where the product is assembled. But the Greenville-Spartanburg area has a large number of new business that have sprung up since BMW came to town roughly 20 years ago. Even the ones that are bringing in parts from outside the US are spending money locally, as are the employees on their payroll. Oh, and those employee benefits? They include health care with local facilities and payroll and retirement dollars that are spent locally.

How far do you want to take this? Are you opposed to companies that have their manufacturing in one state and their headquarters in another where the taxes may be more beneficial? There are entire industries that concentrate in states where the laws are slanted toward them while ignoring other states entirely. Why do you think so many banks are in Delaware, why so many manufacturing firms are moving to 'right to work' states? Do you condemn a company that moves from Michigan to Alabama to avoid unions?

Last edited:
I sent you a PM about how I feel about your post.

Interesting thread but the last thing I would be worrying about concerning Nascar is Toyota causing its demise. Toyota didn't cause Nascar to lose half its audience nor do they have anything to do with the continued erosion and malaise. You can put that problem squarely at the feet of Brian France and the fact that youngsters don't give a fig about cars to the degree previous generations did and have no interest in traditional American motorsports means the cupboard of new fans is empty.

I sent you a PM about how I feel about your post.
That's at least more of a response than I received when I asked you in this discussion to tell us what hidden advantages NASCAR was granting Toyota. I'm undecided between ignoring it entirely, or opening it and posting a screenshot of it here.

What's with the private messages? If you're going to start a public discussion, respond in public. Responding in private makes it look like you don't have the facts to support your position.

That's at least more of a response than I received when I asked you in this discussion to tell us what hidden advantages NASCAR was granting Toyota. I'm undecided between ignoring it entirely, or opening it and posting a screenshot of it here.

What's with the private messages? If you're going to start a public discussion, respond in public. Responding in private makes it look like you don't have the facts to support your position.
Private Message means private and not for posting on the forum. If you feel the need to take action then C&P to a moderator.

Some of you were letting your tempers get the best of you and were getting out of control.
I removed those crude and derogatory posts. Consider this a warning. If you don't keep
your cool, you could join the posters on the Individual Moderation list ---

If you feel the need to take action then C&P to a moderator.
If you don't like PMs from a certain poster, block them. Just click "Leave Conversation" at the top -- a box will open and you can click the Ignore button which will block further PMs.

Just trying to get to the point of having fair trading between the countries which it isnt even close.
Just an example here; toyoter cost 20 k here, 20k in japan---- a chevy costs 20k here and 37.5k there--- thats one expensive boat ride! OK done with this thread, on to a new one.

Just trying to get to the point of having fair trading between the countries which it isnt even close.
Just an example here; toyoter cost 20 k here, 20k in japan---- a chevy costs 20k here and 37.5k there--- thats one expensive boat ride! OK done with this thread, on to a new one.
I agree the trade policies are unequal. But why single out Toyota? Is it because of NASCAR involvement? Honda and Nissan take advantage of the same policies, and they're involved in racing too. If someone is going to support an anti-trade stance, at least include them. But then, US-based manufacturers do similar things to take advantage of trade policies in their favor.

Does any one think NASCAR would be better as a sport with only two manufacturers? If Toyota were to completely pull out at the end of this season, there is no 'American' company to replace them. Would y'all feel better with a European manufacturer? Their trade policies are set up to favor them too.

$37.5k for a Chevy, is that for a Chevy Spark or a Chevy Corvette? They have a pretty broad price range.

As for here, the only Chevrolets I know of you can get for less than 20 grand new are the Spark, the Sonic, and the Cruze. And maybe a stripped Colorado pickup.

I agree the trade policies are unequal. But why single out Toyota? Is it because of NASCAR involvement? Honda and Nissan take advantage of the same policies, and they're involved in racing too. If someone is going to support an anti-trade stance, at least include them. But then, US-based manufacturers do similar things to take advantage of trade policies in their favor.

Does any one think NASCAR would be better as a sport with only two manufacturers? If Toyota were to completely pull out at the end of this season, there is no 'American' company to replace them. Would y'all feel better with a European manufacturer? Their trade policies are set up to favor them too.

I am going to take a whipping for this comment but with Nascar using a spec car I think they should go to a spec engine and just use decals to differentiate the manufacturer as they essentially do now anyway. This way different manufacturers could get in easily so the potential for more involvement from more manufacturers would be immediate and theoretically more dollars would follow.

I am going to take a whipping for this comment but with Nascar using a spec car I think they should go to a spec engine and just use decals to differentiate the manufacturer as they essentially do now anyway. This way different manufacturers could get in easily so the potential for more involvement from more manufacturers would be immediate and theoretically more dollars would follow.
Those different manufacturers wouldn't be 'involved in racing' beyond writing checks to NASCAR.

I have no problem with a spec series per se, but what's the point in pretending it includes different makes and models? There's no competitive or publicity advantage to the manufacturers, other than the lucky one selected to make the spec cars.

Last edited:
That is true but I think the best policy is to keep private communications private.
I asked him publicly in this discussion to not send me private messages. I publicly stated they could be used against him.

And if he really want his messages kept private, he shouldn't publicly announce he's sending them.

In this case, of the several I've received from this gentleman, only one has been fit for public consumption.

I wonder what would make a person do that sort of thing? I hope he doesn't have access to firearms.

I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Toyotas involvement if it didn't come through TRD. For chevy and ford, at least there is some separation between the OEM/designer of the parts and the actual engine/chassis builders and suppliers. For example Hendrick, Ganassi and Yates build chevy/ford spec engines alongside their racing shops, not Ford Performance or Chevy Racing.

You're reading too much into this. Unfair trading is the point. nothing more. toyter is in "my" hotseat because this is a nascar racing thread, once again nothing more. I like to support the home team when possible. I had a theory about taxing any non domestic car coming into this country but giving more money to our government makes about as much sense as letting charlie manson go free,......... dangerous!!! ..lol.. Alright, done with this thread -- final answer--
How about those models on The Price is Right? wow.

Back
Top Bottom