Udtra Sold

kelloggs5TLfan

Team Owner
United Dirt Track Racing Association officials have announced the sale of the UDTRA Pro DirtCar Series to Doug Bland, who will re-brand the series as the Xtreme DirtCar Series. Mike Swims, who has been the owner and president of the series since 1995 will remain with the new company in an advisory role.

Bland is the owner of Short Track Entertainment whose agency served as UDTRA's sponsorship sales representative during the 2002 season. Bland has purchased controlling interest in the series, with Swims remaining as a minority shareholder in the company. The headquarters of the Xtreme DirtCar Series will move from Woodstock, GA to Mooresville, NC.

"I'm excited to be involved with what I feel is the start of something very big," Bland said. "Mike Swims and his staff have done a great job to get the sport of dirt late model racing to where it is today."

Bland said the Xtreme DirtCar Series will build on the strengths of the UDTRA Pro DirtCar Series and incorporate some new and innovative concepts. The 2003 schedule for the Xtreme DirtCar Series will be announced on January 15.

"We have worked our tails off to develop a great floor plan that will build the Xtreme DirtCar Series into one of the nation's premier racing organizations," Bland said. "It will be our job to continue to build the sport, not only for our current fan base of dirt late model racing, but to expose our sport to new fans."

Announcements made at the PRI Show and the series banquet last month in Indianapolis concerning the $100,000 increase in the 2003 point fund and the entry fee revenue sharing between the series and event promoters will remain in place. The multi-year deal with SPEED Channel is also in effect, with 13 Xtreme DirtCar Series events to be televised in 2003.

"Doug and I have been discussing this for quite some time and he is certainly not the first person that has been interested in purchasing UDTRA," Swims said. "But after knowing and working with him the past couple of years, he has impressed me as the one that truly has a passion for our sport and the people in it. He possesses a level of integrity and work ethic that I understand and respect. I am confident that the Series will continue to grow under his leadership."

Swims will continue to promote the series marquee event, the $55,000-to-win Hardee's Shootout at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, GA on October 10-11, and a series event at Rome Speedway in Rome, GA. Swims is also looking to promote other Xtreme DirtCar events at other tracks across the country.

"I have enjoyed my role as President of UDTRA," Swims said. "My wife Debra and I have made some great friends while running this Series and we certainly have appreciated all their support over the years. I am looking forward to the new challenges that await me as I continue to try and help move forward the goals of this program."

Bland, 32, brings an impressive resume on all levels of motorsports to the Xtreme DirtCar Series. Bland was the Marketing Director for Penske Motorsports at California Speedway and Homestead Miami Speedway from 1995 to 1999. Short Track Entertainment is also the sponsorship management agency for Craftsman Truck competitor Bobby Dotter.

In the short track genre of the sport, Bland was also the Promoter and Equity Partner of Joplin (MO) 66 Speedway from 1999 to 2000.

Contact information and a new web site for the Xtreme DirtCar Series will be announced in the coming weeks.

East Bay Raceway Park in Tampa, FL will host the first three 2003 events for the Xtreme DirtCar Series as a part of the Annual East Bay Winternationals. The first race will be a $5,000-to-win event on February 4, followed by a $7,000-to-win event on February 6, and a $15,000-to-win finale on February 8.

Do you think this will help this series any??????
:)

Back
Top Bottom