Using Softer Tires To Help With Fuel-Milage Races

M

markman29

I was watching TV and they (NASCAR & Goodyear) are talking about useing softer compound tires to help with the fuel milage races. Their point was that a softter tire would give up faster and then a driver/crew chief would have to pit on a late caution or they would loose to much time on the old tires. I think it would give a little control back to the drivers and make the racing better.

Nice pic. How'd you like to take a spin in that Hot Rod!

To the point. How was it out of the drivers hands before? There will always be some degree of disparity from one team to another (even with the same "owner"). The driver had to give there all before. They will still need to. I don't understand how this alters the drivers contribution.

I'm not aimimng this at you in particular, just in general your comment seems to be the general consensus.

Seems to Me that the harder tire compounds were really aiding the "young guns" as They could drive bore out without usually suffering any blown tires,although blown engines at times were somewhat frequent,notably Roush Racing.The softer tire compound should wear out quicker for the younger drivers that aren't as skillful with managing tire life between pit stops,and therefore should aid the veteran drivers far more,Who've been used to softer tire compounds for years prior to 2002?(not sure of year) when the harder compounds were introduced.I look for the veterans to reassume the dominant role in the Nextel Series in 2004,that's the way it should be ;)

Well one thing is for sure, Ole Rusty would love to see them softer tires.

Just ment that tire management will be a bigger part of the race and the driver will have to do his part to keep them from whering out to fast. with the softer tire the cars with new tires will be alot quicker than cars with used tires, so the drivers will have to stop even if they can go the distance on fuel.

Back
Top Bottom