Watkins Glen RACE thread

Buv4DiSIMAA2dxj.jpg:large

But8p-XCYAAIznk.png:large

ButbCcDCcAAQPb-.jpg:large

ButsdVGIgAAKfaB.jpg:large

Butj4KFIQAA1LV7.jpg:large

Who'd a thunk on such a bleak day a really fun race would ensue. It was really a remarkable display of talent, excitement and love shared between it's participants and fans.

It would be nice if the Nascar brass could see the handwriting on the wall, make some hard decisions to tear themselves apart a bit and do what it takes to get more road racing for variety into their schedule. Make provisions to be able to run every track in mildly wet conditions. Nothing like tire drama, going on wets or changing to intermediates as the track changes. The wet could also cut some of the big money teams with good aero and motors advantages down to where some of the smaller teams mouths would be watering because they have a better opportunity for a win. Contract with some tracks that aren't under their control, short term to test the waters. Sebring, Circuit of the Americas would be a couple on my dance card. They prove it every year that these cars can road race with the best of them.

Last edited:
@PPistone

Rating for Watkins Glen race yesterday - ESPN got 3.1 overnight rating, +19% from last year

I'd love to think that was because fans knew they were in for a good race. Sadly, I doubt that was the reason.
Tuned in to hear more about the Stewart-Ward incident most likely.

@PPistone

Rating for Watkins Glen race yesterday - ESPN got 3.1 overnight rating, +19% from last year

I'd love to think that was because fans knew they were in for a good race. Sadly, I doubt that was the reason.

Keep in mind also, it was a road course... There are racing enthusiasts who aren't really nascar fans generally and I'm sure a lot were watching because they are aware of what this track produces... But yeah I'm sure there was a large jump because of the accident, no arguement there. We just have to think there was more to it to have those ratings jump 20%... The past few years at this track have made it a must watch..

Last edited:
One time, road racing in Nascar was all about 3 or 4 drivers...now, there are perhaps a couple of dozen drivers who are capable road racers.

Even Kenseth started and finished top-10 :eek: Not his best ever finish at a RC but about all one can expect from his ablility.

@PPistone

No doubt the tragedy played a part in earning more viewers, but better this weekend than next. This race piqued the interest of a good number of new viewers - certainly more than Michigan or most other tracks would have.

19% is a huge increase for sure. Watkins Glenn almost always produces must see races. Good to see the numbers up.

What an awesome win for AJ. To win at a road course is special imo. But to beat Ambrose, fighting him through 3 restarts, it just doesn't get any better than that.

He beat the best to win that race. It just doesn't get any better than that.

I got to thinking today, it would be cool to see a side by side in car camera comparison between Ambrose and Allmendinger mainly the last 10 laps or so. Just to watch the 2 different driving styles.

@PPistone

Damnit, you got me excited that road racing was catching on among NASCAR fans then dashed that hope. :(

Damnit, you got me excited that road racing was catching on among NASCAR fans then dashed that hope. :(
Been a lot of changes, a lot of the nopers still remember Sr. talking about how he hated road courses and son followed in his footsteps saying the same thing. But when Ambrose showed up and some of the younger guys who also knew how to road race along with the current guys who weren't bad like Gordon, it has been fish or cut bait time every since. The new chase format has built it into a perfect storm. I know the Brian haters won't give credit where due, I have a hard time believing it isn't an accident myself, but whatever, the new car and the new chase is working pretty good so far IMO.

This isn't related a lot to the race but i pulled a race used tire at my local crd shop used by Marcos Ambrose. So close

This is from 2011

Dale Earnhardt Jr. not a fan of The Glen

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...e-earnhardt-jr-make-break-season-watkins-glen

Earnhardt hates road course racing. He never aspired to drive on one as a kid when he dreamed of becoming a professional stock car driver like his father. He thinks they are a waste of time and don't really belong in the sport.
"I'm not a big fan of the place, but maybe one of these days," he said that day.

How about Sonoma in 2011?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. isn't a fan of road-course racing, and particularly dislikes Infineon Raceway. So it's no surprise he wasn't in the most talkative mood on Friday.

"Woo. Exciting," he said flatly when asked whether he was happy to be in Sonoma.

And Jr nation all click their heels together and say "we hate road races" :biggrin:

Still impressed with the racing this weekend. Ambrose and Dinger both were dueling to make the chase, and it was almost certain that the 2nd place car will not make the chase. They understood the ramifications and tested there too, the stakes were high.

They raced hard and fiercely it was an instant classic, but without any cheap shots or bump and runs.

Back
Top Bottom