Week of all things NASCAR. Speedweek

D

DeathsDoor

My Christmas gift this year were 3 tickets to the Duels, Truck race, Nationwide, and Daytona 500. Talking about a grown man crying!

I am just wondering if I need to buy tickets to get into the track early enough to watch the practices and truck and Nationwide qualifying or if I can use my race tickets and just spend the day there with those? Also, we are camping for the week at the camp grounds a mile from the track. If anyone knows what it is like there weather and crowd wise I would like some info on that too.

This is my 1st trip to a NASCAR event, so I am shaky on how things work, especially during an event like this.

Since you are a chef you could start by cooking lunch for 30,000 of your closest friends and neighbors in the RV lot. Seriously though that's a damn fine Christmas gift. You will get plenty of info on here, once they start giving advice you will be inundated with good info and web sites to check out.

Check with the Daytona website about practice tickets. Usually, you can just walk up and buy them.

Weather ---- count on afternoon rains. LOL It can be COLD in Daytona, so be sure to take layers of clothing. I've been to 500s where I absolutely baked, and some where I froze. And one where I baked and froze in the same day ---- warm in the stands, freezing in the midway.

At most tracks, practice is all part of the race ticket. Not sure about Daytona though with its schedule. A quick call to the track would easily get you those answers. In any event, you've received most every NASCAR fan's dream present. Please post some pics from your 'Dream Week' for the board to share. Take us to the races!

You will have a blast camping. That is the only way to attend a NASCAR race IMO. Get ready to make some lifelong friends.

At most tracks, practice is all part of the race ticket. Not sure about Daytona though with its schedule. A quick call to the track would easily get you those answers. In any event, you've received most every NASCAR fan's dream present. Please post some pics from your 'Dream Week' for the board to share. Take us to the races!

You will have a blast camping. That is the only way to attend a NASCAR race IMO. Get ready to make some lifelong friends.

I was told that camping outside the track was the best way to do the trip. I'll bring my grill behind the truck and have a week of camping, racing and eating. We did check into the infield RV park and infield camping, but at every turn we were recommended to camp outside the track.

I was told that camping outside the track was the best way to do the trip. I'll bring my grill behind the truck and have a week of camping, racing and eating. We did check into the infield RV park and infield camping, but at every turn we were recommended to camp outside the track.
We camp at every track we go to, with the exception of Martinsville. Of the tracks that we frequent that offer infield camping we still opt for the camping outside the track. Trust me when I say that they are not having any more fun within the confines of the track then we are in the outside camping areas. They are also paying much more than we do to stay there for a race. Most people simply don't get it but the camping at a NASCAR race only adds to the overall experience. No traffic headaches to deal with. No parking to be concerned about. The only thing you need to worry about is how much fun you want to have. ;)

Check with the Daytona website about practice tickets. Usually, you can just walk up and buy them.

Weather ---- count on afternoon rains. LOL It can be COLD in Daytona, so be sure to take layers of clothing. I've been to 500s where I absolutely baked, and some where I froze. And one where I baked and froze in the same day ---- warm in the stands, freezing in the midway.

We camp at every track we go to, with the exception of Martinsville. Of the tracks that we frequent that offer infield camping we still opt for the camping outside the track. Trust me when I say that they are not having any more fun within the confines of the track then we are in the outside camping areas. They are also paying much more than we do to stay there for a race. Most people simply don't get it but the camping at a NASCAR race only adds to the overall experience. No traffic headaches to deal with. No parking to be concerned about. The only thing you need to worry about is how much fun you want to have. ;)

Yep, Yep and Yep. All of the above, the wife and I camp at all of the races we attend also.

I went to Speedweeks as a Christmas/birthday/graduation present last year, you're going to LOVEEEEEE it. (And yes, December birthdays usually suck, but it didn't hurt on this occasion).

I was able to show up for practices/qualifying using the race ticket without a problem. Heck, on the Wednesday before the Duels, I showed up and just watched some practice from the seats, and I think they only charged $5-10. If you are getting there early enough to do that, it's a good chance to knock out any souvenir shopping you might want to do, since the crowd is thin.

If you're interested in renting a scanner or NASCAR's FanView doohickey, both work throughout the week and last year it was only a small fraction more for getting one for the week rather than just for the 500. I used the FanView when I went, it was awesome.

Definitely prepare for anything re: the weather. It was unseasonably toasty last year (something close to the 90s for the Nationwide race) which is part of the reason the trioval grass looked like **** for the 500.

I admittedly haven't gone to as many NASCAR races as some of the other folks here, I'm sure, but if you're looking for more Daytona-specific information, I might be able to help from my trip last year.

Back
Top Bottom