What does Nascar need to do to improve attendance

RCM88x

Crew Chief
Simple question. However, what can they do, other than the "improve competition" idea?

Unfortunately, I think one of the biggest problems is out of their control: travel and lodging costs. It's kinda hard to attend a lot of races when hotels charge 3 times their normal rates on race weekends, especially around some of the more rural tracks. Between tickets, lodging, gas, food, and souvenirs, it's not hard at all for a family of four to rack up a four-figure bill to attend one race.

I don't think the attendance figures of the early-to-mid 2000's will ever be replicated. Especially with all of the downsizing tracks have been doing recently.

A lot of second dates could (and should) be eliminated but that would require a massive schedule overhaul and that's not in ISC's or SMI's best interests.

WiFi...and figure out how to match the live experience with a smart phone/iPad "follow along" while at the track. In other words, let fans at track have an all-access type race view experience on their mobile device, so they can scan and watch RaceView type stuff. Include a code on the ticket or something that allows them the weekend access. I just don't think today's youth has the patience to watch 3 hours of cars going in a circle unless there's something else going on with it. Scanners are a MUST to enjoying the live experience. I'm always amazed at how many people I see in the stands without headsets. It's the majority. I know you can rent stuff...but I think there's a psychological advantage to encouraging folks to bring a tablet, or using their own devices.

-Economy is not as good as before (ticket prices too high, concessions, etc)
-Stop changing formats
-Less cautions (for true race fans anyways)
-Improve media at the tracks. People like computer screens in their face everywhere, so why not the track?
-Change up the schedule quite a bit every two or three years

The race weekends themselves ought to be condensed too, with support series running on the same day like Truck and Nationwide are at Atlanta next March, and potentially divide the Cup race into heat races followed by the feature (allowing some natural pauses for the social element).

I agree with all of the above . It's also been great to see more diversity in the racers . Hispanics , Aussies , Blacks , Women , etc, etc . Wether they win or lose . their fans gotta be lovin it .

-Stop changing formats
-Improve media at the tracks. People like computer screens in their face everywhere, so why not the track?

Is a "true race fan" the same as a "real race fan" ? Just curious cause I enjoy cautions and the resulting restarts, long green runs on those horrid mile and a halfs are a real drag IMO

Please keep computer screens out of my face at a race track............................... I go to races to see cars and hear cars

I don't think the attendance figures of the early-to-mid 2000's will ever be replicated. Especially with all of the downsizing tracks have been doing recently.

A lot of second dates could (and should) be eliminated but that would require a massive schedule overhaul and that's not in ISC's or SMI's best interests.

Our track sells out twice a year............ can we have three please

The more dirt races the better IMO

Dirt races will never happen, the largest dirt track in the US only has a capacity just over 20,000, which would be puny for a cup race. I think there is an article about this somewhere, and why it wouldn't be beneficial for either Nascar, the Owners, or TV to have a race at a place like Eldora. It would be cool, but it will never be economically feasible. Just to add to this, the Truck Eldora race, is currently NOT economically feasible as a standalone event for anyone but the track owners.

I personally think that changing the schedule up will be beneficial. Why are there 2 races at Kansas and Chicagoland etc... when a place like Iowa, or The Rock not have a race. The infusion of cookie cutter tracks into the schedule and the removal of many historical and unique tracks is the real issue in my opinion. We need more short tracks, and maybe another road course or two.

Unfortunately, I think one of the biggest problems is out of their control: travel and lodging costs. It's kinda hard to attend a lot of races when hotels charge 3 times their normal rates on race weekends, especially around some of the more rural tracks. Between tickets, lodging, gas, food, and souvenirs, it's not hard at all for a family of four to rack up a four-figure bill to attend one race.
This
Stop changing the champion criteria every year. Go back to NASCAR's roots. More short tracks, one or more dirt Cup races.
This
-Stop changing formats
& that

Go back to 'Race on Sunday, buy it on Monday'. That's where the diehard fans came from. Seeing your car going out on the track .. not a racecar with a sticker on the nose.

Go back to 'Race on Sunday, buy it on Monday'. That's where the diehard fans came from. Seeing your car going out on the track .. not a racecar with a sticker on the nose.
The Ford Fusion is selling well, I believe. and it has the most realistic nose on the race car.

I think they should put the Camaro and Mustang in the Cup Series.

This is just a thought. But does anyone think that attendance numbers being down may be due to the amount of TV coverage that you get at races now? Now I know that going to the race is a different experience (I attend multiple races a year) but for the "casual" race fan - which is who nascar seems to be aiming everything at lately - do they get a better and more immersive experience watching it on TV? Remember they arent a true race fan so why would they rationalize spending all that money to haul their family to the track when they can get everything they want out of the TV broadcast? Again, just a thought.

It'd be kind of hard with the cars they race now, as the SS is the only rear-drive V-8 of the bunch. I don't think you can even get a V6 in the Fusion anymore, I think those are 4-cylinder only now.

I like that, but I dont think people want to watch front wheel drive cars on the track

The majority of most races don't mean much anymore anyways, with the relentless flurry of cautions towards the end of each event. It would keep the riff-raff who turned Homestead into a ****show out of the main event too, with them being eliminated in the heats.

Not to be a party pooper but I think I'll pass on this thread. This is "I think" the 5th thread this year exactly like this one with the same answers. Ya'll have fun :D

The majority of most races don't mean much anymore anyways, with the relentless flurry of cautions towards the end of each event. It would keep the riff-raff who turned Homestead into a ****show out of the main event too, with them being eliminated in the heats.
If the aerobubble between cars was eliminated, making it easier to pass each other on the track, then track position in the middle of the race would surely matter. It all starts with the drive-ability of the car imo. Thats where the entertainment value comes into play. THEN, once NASCAR gets the on track excitement up, they have my permission to die - I mean experiment with the points systems :D

The cars need to be able to pass one another, rather than ride around single file all race long. Hopefully 2015 rules package will fix that.

Tickets are too damn expensive for the most part, along with hotel prices during race weekends.

Is a "true race fan" the same as a "real race fan" ? Just curious cause I enjoy cautions and the resulting restarts, long green runs on those horrid mile and a halfs are a real drag IMO

Please keep computer screens out of my face at a race track............................... I go to races to see cars and hear cars

Nothing wrong with enjoying some cautions and restarts but when it gets carried away like it has this year it's more boring.

and yes I want to see and hear cars but lots of people like screens in their face. too many

I've never been to a NASCAR race but I think it would be cool if they ran more than one race in a day. Let's say run the Kyle Busch series at noon and Cup in the evening. That way fans don't have to waste 2 days at the track if they want to see both races. It would save on hotel costs and would probably get more people to buy tickets.

Also, need more short tracks. Fans love beating and banging.

This^^^^, When Gordon came in as wonder boy that's when attendance went up. It was a fad plain and simple. Now i'm sure attendance is about the same as it was Pre Gordon

This is just a thought. But does anyone think that attendance numbers being down may be due to the amount of TV coverage that you get at races now? Now I know that going to the race is a different experience (I attend multiple races a year) but for the "casual" race fan - which is who nascar seems to be aiming everything at lately - do they get a better and more immersive experience watching it on TV? Remember they arent a true race fan so why would they rationalize spending all that money to haul their family to the track when they can get everything they want out of the TV broadcast? Again, just a thought.
I think that is a point right there. go watch youtube of a race from the mid 80's. look at how terrible the tv product was, now with HD Tv's and flat screens which everyone has now. you really get a really good experience just watching on tv. I noticed this especially at the last college football game I went to. honestly I would rather watch it on TV. This is why I think nascar should pay more attention to the TV product that attendance. more short track racing of course. but a track like kansas having 2 races is a joke to me. I also think trying to get the younger generation interested in stock car racing is hard. the new generation likes subarus and other rice rockets.

Hell yes to that Kyle18. Gotta have my FanVision to keep track of lap times and scanner, but on restarts, headsets off, and just freakin' feel it. Damn it, I love that! Chills just thinking about it. Might have to go outside and have a smoke.....and I don't smoke. There is NOTHING in sport IMO like the stabbing of the throttle on a restart. NOTHING.

The only thing that needs adjusting in attendance is the expectations. Everything is good. Fontana sold out. Probably because Kyle won the year previous. Look for standing room only as he threepeats in '15. :booya:

More road courses added during the year and at6 least one road course during the Chase.

But the Green police are out to end all auto racing, because it's not really Green (in their opinion) . The attendance has been down in IndyCar and F1 this year too.

More road courses added during the year and at6 least one road course during the Chase.

But the Green police are out to end all auto racing, because it's not really Green (in their opinion) . The attendance has been down in IndyCar and F1 this year too.

Ah yes, the Green Police aka the no fun police... I never really thought it was that big of a deal in their eyes. There have been big moments in that interest recently, much bigger movements than street cars have made in the same amount of time.

This^^^^, When Gordon came in as wonder boy that's when attendance went up. It was a fad plain and simple. Now i'm sure attendance is about the same as it was Pre Gordon
Jeff brought in the youngsters and the Regis and Cathy Lee folks .They weren't big race fans but they sure were loyal to Jeff.

My suggestion would be to have all Saturday Night races under the lights. (except road courses). Gives more people time to get to a race and not miss work on Monday.
have the Truck race Friday night, Busch race on Saturday at 1PM and the main event at 7PM.

Back
Top Bottom