What does Nascar need to do to improve attendance

My suggestion would be to have all Saturday Night races under the lights. (except road courses). Gives more people time to get to a race and not miss work on Monday.
have the Truck race Friday night, Busch race on Saturday at 1PM and the main event at 7PM.
I like going to the races but I don't want to live at the track. A triple header weekend race schedule layed out over a three day time period is the schedule that I'd prefer. I can only speak about the people that I know of that no longer attend races. It has everything to do with the economy and not with the schedule, the Chase or anything else. People simply don't have the disposable income that they once had. I don't have the disposable income that I once had. I don't go to more races because I can't afford it and not because I can't go to three races over a 24 hour period.

My suggestion would be to have all Saturday Night races under the lights. (except road courses). Gives more people time to get to a race and not miss work on Monday.
have the Truck race Friday night, Busch race on Saturday at 1PM and the main event at 7PM.
Why not road courses? I think some of the best F1 races are on the night time courses.

I like going to the races but I don't want to live at the track. A triple header weekend race schedule layed out over a three day time period is the schedule that I'd prefer. I can only speak about the people that I know of that no longer attend races. It has everything to do with the economy and not with the schedule, the Chase or anything else. People simply don't have the disposable income that they once had. I don't have the disposable income that I once had. I don't go to more races because I can't afford it and not because I can't go to three races over a 24 hour period.

Not arguing at all on this, but, when ever possible have the cup
Why not road courses? I think some of the best F1 races are on the night time courses.

Good point, :)

I wonder what the attendance statistics are for night races vs. day races are. If there is some backing that night races are attended better then it would be a good move. Although, I dont think that night races are good for TV in the summer and spring. The fall is a different story because of football, which usually benefits NASCAR ratings, well, at least it has during the last 7 years.

Free WiFi would be a nice start that way fans can get on their iPhone and iPad and use the RaceView app while at the track or follow on Twitter or be able to watch the FOX or NBC broadcasts. There are a lot of things that happen during the races that fans don't really know about in the stands.

The schedule still needs to change. Second dates at Texas, Kansas, New Hampshire and Dover need to be done away with. Denver and the Pacific Northwest are hungry for NASCAR, give both of those markets a Cup race. I'd also like to see a street course race and a dirt track.

Here is the article on why a dirt track will probably never make it back onto the schedule, starts about 1/2 way down with the Tony Stewart bit http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2014...y-2015-schedule-television-ratings-attendance

Free WiFi would be a nice start that way fans can get on their iPhone and iPad and use the RaceView app while at the track or follow on Twitter or be able to watch the FOX or NBC broadcasts. There are a lot of things that happen during the races that fans don't really know about in the stands.

The schedule still needs to change. Second dates at Texas, Kansas, New Hampshire and Dover need to be done away with. Denver and the Pacific Northwest are hungry for NASCAR, give both of those markets a Cup race. I'd also like to see a street course race and a dirt track.

Completely agree with most of this, it would be interesting to see a street course, although, I dont know how feasible it would be with heavy stock cars. Although, the V8 series races on street courses, so it couldn't be too difficult to put something together, it would definitely be an interesting addition.

Better tracks - track suited for great racing and not how many suites it has.

Lower the price of tickets. When demand is down, prices have to be lowered. That's business 101.

Enough with the sterline corporate mumbo jumbo.

Personally for me, more night races. I hate sitting out in the sun on an uncomfortable bench. I still go down to Dover but I don't enjoy it when it's hot. I would rather sit on my couch and watch it in HD.

your just not getting your money worth for what it cost to go to the races, it's still the same race and seat you want to in the 80's, but now it cost 4 times as much. the new fans came and left leavening all the empty seats that were built for them. Plus if you go on race day the traffic is a nightmare. you can be in traffic longer the it takes to watch the race. nascar is not for the masses. they can do all this fancy stuff to get new fans. nascar is not like stick and ball sports, you don't do race car in gym class.

sprint fanview was tossed, not economical

second dates aren't really needed

ticket prices

price fixing of everything related to attending a race

attention span

at-home product

consistent inconsistency

length of weekend

lack of access

Let's contract NASCAR and NHRA, for grins:

36 races vs 24 races
Mostly double-dates vs mostly single dates
stupid expensive tickets vs not so expensive tickets
significant price fixing vs moderately significant price fixing
long drawn out vs boom and done
glittery dazzly fancy stuff vs why-is-ESPN-still-making-this-mockery
consistent inconsistency vs mostly consistent consistency
Friday/Saturday/Sunday vs friday/saturday/sunday
VIP pit access only vs every ticket is a pit pass

sprint fanview was tossed, not economical

second dates aren't really needed

ticket prices

price fixing of everything related to attending a race

attention span

at-home product

consistent inconsistency

length of weekend

lack of access

Let's contract NASCAR and NHRA, for grins:

36 races vs 24 races
Mostly double-dates vs mostly single dates
stupid expensive tickets vs not so expensive tickets
significant price fixing vs moderately significant price fixing
long drawn out vs boom and done
glittery dazzly fancy stuff vs why-is-ESPN-still-making-this-mockery
consistent inconsistency vs mostly consistent consistency
Friday/Saturday/Sunday vs friday/saturday/sunday
VIP pit access only vs every ticket is a pit pass

I like what NHRA does but there's a difference between 15,000 people and 150,000 people.

I like what NHRA does but there's a difference between 15,000 people and 150,000 people.
NHRA at least gets 10,000 out of that 15,000 or so. NASCAR is struggling to get 80,000 out of 150,000 without selling tickets last minute for $15 a pop. Which isn't that bad as long as they don't check your ticket when you move up 35 rows....

The race weekends themselves ought to be condensed too, with support series running on the same day like Truck and Nationwide are at Atlanta next March, and potentially divide the Cup race into heat races followed by the feature (allowing some natural pauses for the social element).
Yeah, this. Better yet, run heat races for both Cup and supporting series on Saturday, and main events for both on Sunday. Make the heats about 15-20% of the current main event length, and the mains 50%. We've all heard the drivers say they just log laps during many events, especially on the bigger tracks.

This is just a thought. But does anyone think that attendance numbers being down may be due to the amount of TV coverage that you get at races now? Now I know that going to the race is a different experience (I attend multiple races a year) but for the "casual" race fan - which is who nascar seems to be aiming everything at lately - do they get a better and more immersive experience watching it on TV? Remember they arent a true race fan so why would they rationalize spending all that money to haul their family to the track when they can get everything they want out of the TV broadcast? Again, just a thought.
Attendance is down to varying degrees at all sports for this reason.

I've often told 'casual fan' friends their first race should be N'wide or Truck races. They're shorter, with more wrecks, you can watch the big boys practice and some of them will be in the race, the kids get in cheap / free, and the adult tickets are inexpensive enough that you don't worry about leaving early if the you or the kids get bored.

Shorten the season. 10 months is too long for today's shorter attention span. Remove the second date @ every track. Go back to a season long champion that scored the most points.

we'll see how new revamp experiment at daytona works out once they 're finished / ready for '16 opener.
will be big success .....that other tracks will follow .......or....big $$ flop if young fans don't give thumbs up.

WiFi...and figure out how to match the live experience with a smart phone/iPad "follow along" while at the track. In other words, let fans at track have an all-access type race view experience on their mobile device, so they can scan and watch RaceView type stuff. Include a code on the ticket or something that allows them the weekend access. I just don't think today's youth has the patience to watch 3 hours of cars going in a circle unless there's something else going on with it. Scanners are a MUST to enjoying the live experience. I'm always amazed at how many people I see in the stands without headsets. It's the majority. I know you can rent stuff...but I think there's a psychological advantage to encouraging folks to bring a tablet, or using their own devices.

Spot on, you nailed it. How can a bunch of whiskey soaked brains deal with younger people who are all about tech.

Maybe the access to racing on cable TV has hurt track attendance by locals but I'm not advocating blackouts. Nascar has no control over the prices hotels/motels charge. Look at what hotels/motels charge during speed weeks in Daytona vs other times of the year. I know at least one restaurant that has/had a different menu for "race fans" during speed weeks and don't be ridicules, the prices aren't cheaper.
Times are different today, cost of travel is a big factor.

Brain needs to quit mucking around constantly changing rules and aero specs on the cars. Change and let the dust settle for a couple of years, seems he has the attention span of a 2 year old, constantly changing toys to play with.

Young guys aren't drawn to racing like I and many others were. The local gas station, the one that had a "jalopy" that the mechanic pushed out of the service bay each day so he could work on customers cars then pushed in at closing to work on it at night is gone.

Maybe the access to racing on cable TV has hurt track attendance by locals but I'm not advocating blackouts. Nascar has no control over the prices hotels/motels charge. Look at what hotels/motels charge during speed weeks in Daytona vs other times of the year. I know at least one restaurant that has/had a different menu for "race fans" during speed weeks and don't be ridicules, the prices aren't cheaper.
Times are different today, cost of travel is a big factor.

Brain needs to quit mucking around constantly changing rules and aero specs on the cars. Change and let the dust settle for a couple of years, seems he has the attention span of a 2 year old, constantly changing toys to play with.

Young guys aren't drawn to racing like I and many others were. The local gas station, the one that had a "jalopy" that the mechanic pushed out of the service bay each day so he could work on customers cars then pushed in at closing to work on it at night is gone.

Not gone, but there aren't as many

I read where some peeps think more tracks with 1 race each is the way to go. IMO if
some of the tracks lost their second race they would not be able to stay in business. Some of the tracks are removing seats to make things look better but I don't see how that helps racing.
The fans of today ( younger new ones) are all about instant gratification and could not sit and watch a 3 hour race. SO.........

1. Change some of the tracks to 1.25 miles max.
2. Friday run heat races for qualifying
3. Race on Sat. nights and Sunday AM if rained out.
4. Every track should have a draw for "all expense paid trip next year".
5. Make sure all races are shown on TV and not some little cable channel.

I read where some peeps think more tracks with 1 race each is the way to go. IMO if
some of the tracks lost their second race they would not be able to stay in business. Some of the tracks are removing seats to make things look better but I don't see how that helps racing.
The fans of today ( younger new ones) are all about instant gratification and could not sit and watch a 3 hour race. SO.........

1. Change some of the tracks to 1.25 miles max.
2. Friday run heat races for qualifying
3. Race on Sat. nights and Sunday AM if rained out.
NO.

I don't know if there really is much of a way to improve attendance/TV ratings much more than where they're at right now. NASCAR overexpanded back in the mid-late 90's when the sport was seeing a popularity boom. However, that turned out to be a bubble, and the attendance/ratings have simply regressed to their pre-bubble levels. I don't look for things to get any worse than they are right now, but I don't think they're gonna get a whole lot better either.

To me there is so much wrong that it is hard to figure out where to start. Price gouging is a given, but the tracks and the towns can be smart and push for making it more affordable for people to come to the race without breaking the piggybank. I would really like that they would go back to the original point format with just some tweaks like more points for winning and leading the most laps. Try to make the cars less aero dependent. No way we can go to a stock car body, but to be honest that hasn't been that while in ages. I would like to see less of the plate races and add the dates instead to other tracks and maybe a road course. I'd like to see more of the racing instead of the drivers always complaining because someone doesn't let them pass or if someone touches them it is a prison offense. To tell the truth the more availability of the races on TV is probably hurting. I remember when all we got was snips on wide world of sports and when you was able to see the whole race or most of it, it was an event. Now it is common. What is the point to go to a track to get ripped off when you can stay at home and be able to watch the race and replays of the different incidents?

Get rid of second dates down South. A glut of tracks down South versus none up North is reason enough to keep our second Yankee dates.

Get rid of second dates down South. A glut of tracks down South versus none up North is reason enough to keep our second Yankee dates.
UH What? Dover 2 races, Pocono 2 races, Michigan 2 races, New Hampshire 2 races, Indianapolis 1 race, Watkins Glen 1 race, Chicago 1 race. We plan our vacation every year around two or more races. Next summer we're planning on making a 3,700 mile round trip pulling the RV to attend two races that we haven't been to yet, Pocono and Michigan. I don't know anymore about how to improve attendance than anyone else so I'll just go on enjoying the hell out of it.

Darlington,Martinsville,Daytona,Charlotte,Atlanta,Texas,Phoenix,Kentucky,Bristol,Richmond,Talladega,New Smyrna,Greenville Pickens, Bowman Gray,Langley Speedway,5 Flags Speedway,Caraway Speedway,Southern National, New Boston,
Geography wasn't my strong suit in skool,(or spelling) but I Know these are South of me.Could use at least a few more tracks down South.
But I do agree some second dates should go.Been to Dover,Pocono ,Loudon and Charlotte. The only one I have a desire to return to other than the yearly September pilgrimage to Loudon, is Charlotte. Daytona and Bristol are on the 5 year radar scope.

Last edited:
Darlington,Martinsville,Daytona,Charlotte,Atlanta,Texas,Phoenix,Kentucky,Bristol,Richmond,Talladega,New Smyrna,Greenville Pickens, Bowman Gray,Langley Speedway,5 Flags Speedway,Caraway Speedway,Southern National, New Boston,
Geography wasn't my strong suit in skool,(or spelling) but I Know these are South of me.Could use at least a few more tracks down South.
But I do agree some second dates should go.Been to Dover,Pocono ,Loudon and Charlotte. The only one I have a desire to return to other than the yearly September pilgrimage to Loudon, is Charlotte. Daytona and Bristol are on the 5 year radar scope.
Cup tracks?? :D

NASCAR tracks All of them..Anyway, I agree with you on the Having Fun part. That's what it's all about.
Bring binoculars to Pocono. Trust me, they will help.

NASCAR tracks All of them..Anyway, I agree with you on the Having Fun part. That's what it's all about.
Bring binoculars to Pocono. Trust me, they will help.

I'm up north with you too, and I have no idea why we need more dates or short tracks.

Asphalt tracks I know of off the top of my head by state:
CT: 3
NY: 6+
MA: 1 :(
VT: a bunch of ity bitty 1/4 miles
NH: NHMS, Lee + itty bitty 1/4 milers
Maine: At least 2

Did you just list off a bunch of NASCAR Whelen SOUTHERN Modified Tour venues as an argument that there are too many NASCAR Sprint Cup Series venues in the south? Really? REALLY?

I'm up north with you too, and I have no idea why we need more dates or short tracks.

Asphalt tracks I know of off the top of my head by state:
CT: 3
NY: 6+
MA: 1 :(
VT: a bunch of ity bitty 1/4 miles
NH: NHMS, Lee + itty bitty 1/4 milers

Maine: At least 2
Wake County Speedway (Raleigh, North Carolina): 1/4 mile track and one of the most bad to the bone racetracks I've ever been to.

Back
Top Bottom