What does Nascar need to do to improve attendance

So, results were Kevin Harvick, Jamie McMurray, Clint Bowyer, Greg Biffle and Trevor Bayne top five. Does that mean Danica Patrick finished seventh?

No, Trevor Bayne drives the 6 car now. That was Ryan Blaney in the 21. Ryan Blaney also finished ninth in the 21. Try to keep up, Andy.

Funny, and true, story. The person who owns Ace Speedway, Abraham Woidislawsky, bought the track because NASCAR raced there, meaning he thought Jeff Gordon would be there. Needless to say he was shocked Jeff Gordon never went there.

Who drives car #28 and car #50 now?

Also, how about Reed Sorenson coming home with a top-10 finish. :)

NASCARHELP.png

& how many people know about these sites?

Not enough to cause a real stir I'd imagine. Racing isnt a mainstream topic. Unless you're a fan of motorsports, people dont care & they wont bother to even attempt to care.

The only time this year racing got huge ear/eye catching national coverage was when Stewart ran over and killed Ward. Now nobody gives a rats ass. The story has moved on to Ray Rice. Sad but true.

Holy ****. Sorry I responded.
Lose every tracks second race.
Build tracks in the Pacific Northwest,'cause that's what the fans want.
Race more at night.
More road courses.
Shorter races.
Cheaper tickets.
Race on Local tracks..
Have Danica start in front...
Have Junior shave his beard live before the race...
Let JJ have a passenger,,,
Have Harvick throw Budweisers out the window during a race...
Let Newman drive a Cat excavator...
Drive backwards the other way at Bristol while using binoculars and Kenny Wallace as your spotter...
Heard it all before, yet.... No action on NASCARS part. I wonder why...

Well... back to the original subject...
NASCAR may not be able to lower lodging or food costs for fans, but the tracks can influence it. Tracks can negotiate deals with local hotels and restaurants to create packages (with race tickets), or discount coupons. May not work at every track or with all local hotels or restaurants but it could in areas where there are more hotel rooms and restaurants than the expected number of race fans coming in. Tracks can also ask their local Chambers of Commerce and elected officials for help in discouraging fan exploitation, reminding them of the revenue their event brings to the area.

Ticket prices have to come down. Yes the show is expensive, but you’re losing too many eyeballs along with sponsors. Need long-term vision instead of short-sighted reactions.
Some of the races are too long. Even the drivers admit that they stroke during those races. So cut the number of laps down. 200 laps of hard racing is worth more than 500 laps with 300 or 400 laps of pacing in the middle. Too short for TV time? Only lock in the top 30 cars by qualifying time, and have a consolation race for the non-locked cars with 10 or so earning starting positions for the main race.

To encourage more racing, give passing points. Maybe one point per car passed – that you are in competition with on the track. To avoid milking this system, to get these points you have to be on the lead lap. You can get a point for passing a lapped car, but only once during a race. If you get passed you lose a passing point. Maybe just give a passing point bonus to the car that amasses the most passing points during a race. This needs more thought to make it work, but the idea is to try to motivate drivers to pass rather than pace.

Work on traffic problems getting into and out of the track – especially after the race. Just like they have pre-race activities to entertain fans, they need after-race activities (beyond Victory Lane celebrations). Keep concession and souvenir stands open (why you can almost never buy the winner’s T-shirt after the race?) and maybe let a local band play. The idea is to lessen the chokes at the exits because some fans might stay longer.

TV definitely provides a pretty good race experience that’s a lot cheaper and more comfortable than going to the track. But you still miss a lot – the sounds, the smells, mid-pack racing that TV misses, etc. Tracks need to advertise all of that. NASCAR won’t do it because it competes with their TV ratings, and ISC tracks may not do it, but the other tracks should. If NASCAR discourages tracks from advertising against TV creative producers can work around it.

Gotta give a thumbs up on providing WiFi access to more behind-the-scenes action like driver / team communications and race direction transmissions. The youngsters like their devices so let ‘em use them.

Passing points aren't necessary, these are race car divers, who race, they dont need encouragement to try and win.

I really think an issue here is Sprints lack of play in the sport, as the title sponsor, they dont really do anything. Heck they are a wireless company, they should provide the best coverage and devices for each event, yet they do nothing. I think the same thing happened with Verizon and the IRL. They really didn't do anything for the sport, they kind of just used it as advertising and were along for the ride. This was why Winston was such a good sponsor, Tobacco companies have always been (well used to be) extremely good at self promotion in any way possible, they would do more than just slap there name in the logo and call it a day like Verizon and Sprint have done. Winston also simply had gobbles and gobbles of money compared to Verizon or Sprint, and therefor had the flexibility to do a lot more with the sponsorship.

But then you have to ask the question, would Sprint even benefit from higher attendance? Wouldn't most of the ticket sales got to the track? Isn't all of Sprints profit a result of TV based advertising? So really, there is 0 reason for Sprint to do anything about the attendance, because there is no benefit to them, or at least the money they would spend wouldn't yield a profit.

So if they really wanted to increase attendance, or possibly popularity for that matter they would need a different title sponsor, a sponsor that focuses more on promotional advertising and has deeper pockets. This is probably impossible, but it wouldn't hurt. Note, I'm not saying bring back Winston, that's both impossible and a bad idea, but some company other than Sprint.

Passing points aren't necessary, these are race car divers, who race, they dont need encouragement to try and win.

I really think an issue here is Sprints lack of play in the sport, as the title sponsor, they dont really do anything. Heck they are a wireless company, they should provide the best coverage and devices for each event, yet they do nothing. I think the same thing happened with Verizon and the IRL. They really didn't do anything for the sport, they kind of just used it as advertising and were along for the ride. This was why Winston was such a good sponsor, Tobacco companies have always been (well used to be) extremely good at self promotion in any way possible, they would do more than just slap there name in the logo and call it a day like Verizon and Sprint have done. Winston also simply had gobbles and gobbles of money compared to Verizon or Sprint, and therefor had the flexibility to do a lot more with the sponsorship.

But then you have to ask the question, would Sprint even benefit from higher attendance? Wouldn't most of the ticket sales got to the track? Isn't all of Sprints profit a result of TV based advertising? So really, there is 0 reason for Sprint to do anything about the attendance, because there is no benefit to them, or at least the money they would spend wouldn't yield a profit.

So if they really wanted to increase attendance, or possibly popularity for that matter they would need a different title sponsor, a sponsor that focuses more on promotional advertising and has deeper pockets. This is probably impossible, but it wouldn't hurt. Note, I'm not saying bring back Winston, that's both impossible and a bad idea, but some company other than Sprint.
You would hope that the drivers are competitive enough to not need additional incentives. But too many become conservative points-chasers. I'd just like to up the ante a little.

Another reason that Winston put so much into NASCAR was they were already banned from advertising in most media, including TV. NASCAR races on TV got them around that ban... for a while. So maybe NASCAR needs to find another taboo sponsor... I'm thinking Cannabis, but not sure there's a large-enough vendor yet.

Regarding the WiFi stuff, it's an issue we have at short tracks too. Some of these tracks are located so far out in the middle of Bum**** Nowhere, cell signal is a comedy and internet service is an even bigger comedy (Southern National).

At Franklin County, I wanted to open up our WiFi so fans could use it and get on social media during the races, but with data limits on the internet (satellite), I just couldn't do it. If you've got 4,000 people at a race, if 400 of them are uploading videos from their iPhone, that data limit's going to get blown pretty fast. And I was uploading 500MB of video to YouTube after every race for the news channels to use. Imagine what happened to my sanity the night the data limit was blown and I had to send video to 7, 10 and 13. :eek:

Regarding the WiFi stuff, it's an issue we have at short tracks too. Some of these tracks are located so far out in the middle of Bum**** Nowhere, cell signal is a comedy and internet service is an even bigger comedy (Southern National).

At Franklin County, I wanted to open up our WiFi so fans could use it and get on social media during the races, but with data limits on the internet (satellite), I just couldn't do it. If you've got 4,000 people at a race, if 400 of them are uploading videos from their iPhone, that data limit's going to get blown pretty fast. And I was uploading 500MB of video to YouTube after every race for the news channels to use. Imagine what happened to my sanity the night the data limit was blown and I had to send video to 7, 10 and 13. :eek:

My local dirt track has created an App which I'll download after it has been fined tuned. Free Wi-fi at the track and if I'm not there I can keep track at home.

http://www.springsspeedway.com/news/articles/2014/11/19/wxc-speedway-smartphone-app

I havent gone through this thread ... but I'm going to say what NASCAR needs to do to improve attendance... is get more people at the race track :D

simple statement. Add a international race to the schedule like Bathurst in Australia? that would be thrilling one to watch

OK. I read the Thread topic wrong. It says What does NASCAR need to do.....
I didn't know it was "Cup" exclusively. My fault.
That being behind me now, I believe NASCAR should listen to the Fan Council .
There are suggestion boxes @ NHMS throughout the venue, maybe more of this idea could be implemented at more tracks.
Adding, cutting, multiplying,dividing of anything has been done before, and has not worked. That is why this discussion is here.
The business model is decades old , and, yet, somehow manages to plod along.Why? Demand.
If the fans just did not show up, stayed home and watched ,do you think NASCAR would notice? No.
NASCAR's bubble has burst. Yet, lucrative deals keep the product in the black. TV, merchandising,partnerships,etc.
NASCAR will always make $. It is a business. First and foremost. That is the problem.The customer should always come first....
Except in NASCAR. The $ is first.
Just my observation.

OK. I read the Thread topic wrong. It says What does NASCAR need to do.....
I didn't know it was "Cup" exclusively. My fault.
That being behind me now, I believe NASCAR should listen to the Fan Council .
There are suggestion boxes @ NHMS throughout the venue, maybe more of this idea could be implemented at more tracks.
Adding, cutting, multiplying,dividing of anything has been done before, and has not worked. That is why this discussion is here.
The business model is decades old , and, yet, somehow manages to plod along.Why? Demand.
If the fans just did not show up, stayed home and watched ,do you think NASCAR would notice? No.
NASCAR's bubble has burst. Yet, lucrative deals keep the product in the black. TV, merchandising,partnerships,etc.
NASCAR will always make $. It is a business. First and foremost. That is the problem.The customer should always come first....
Except in NASCAR. The $ is first.
Just my observation.
Go back and race like they did in the late 90 And cut motel prices and tickets prices.Just my opinion.

Go back and race like they did in the late 90 And cut motel prices and tickets prices.Just my opinion.
Hi lady 6. They can't do that cutting. back in the early 90's I would pay $39.00 for a room while traveling to Florida. My friend in the business tells me his cost is $59. per night. He needs at least $89. per night to make any money.

I don't know what they charge for a room off season compared to race weekend.

I think they should do a complete schedule overhaul as soon as possible.
I don't know how much they can change because of weather. As far as I am concerned you could drop a Daytona and Dega race and add 2 road course races. Make one of them a chase race.

ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS RACE............ NO MORE OFF SEASON PLEASE

Nascar needs to add the 'seventh inning stretch' , the 'forward lateral' , the 'nineteenth hole ' and the word ' luv' to the score . Or else just go back to the way it was before they started trying to appease each and every fan whim.

Nascar needs to add the 'seventh inning stretch' , the 'forward lateral' , the 'nineteenth hole ' and the word ' luv' to the score . Or else just go back to the way it was before they started trying to appease each and every fan whim.
Tell the nurse to bring you another shot of tequila on my tab Ted.

Get the Miss Sprint Cup girls outta those ridiculous fire suits and into some some skimpy clothes.That would bring in a lot of young and not so young males. LOL

Back
Top Bottom