What keeps you from going to more or any NASCAR races?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I see that many on here like to take note of the lack of attendance. What keeps you from filling one of those empty seats?

Is it the expense? I know it's expensive and not all can afford to go but what is the main expense that keeps you from going? Ticket prices? Lodging prices? Fuel prices? Food?

I think NASCAR events offer, by far, the best entertainment value for the price of the ticket. Almost every track has tickets that span a pretty big price range.

Lodging isn't a concern for me taking the RV. Most all of the tracks have very inexpensive or even free areas to camp.

Fuel prices are our biggest expense going to a race. This is normally our deciding factor.

Is it a matter of not having the time?

I know for me and my family when we go we normally invest a week into a race weekend. That time off of work is tough to come by. I only live close enough to two event to make them a day trip.

Sitting at home in front of that big screen HD television is an attractive option. That also comes with paying a price. The price being not being able to enjoy the race to its fullest. You limited to watching snippets of a race between commercials where your view is what the network allows you to see. In other words you are not actually seeing a race. Not one of us can adequately rate the race from sitting at home on our couches. JMO

Time off work is hard to come by and ultimately my largest opponent to going to more. I had to turn down Eldora truck tickets this yr. because of it :mad:.... I live in upstate NY so making the glen annually is easy but other than that its tricky - I am good for the glen and usually one other race per season.

I see that many on here like to take note of the lack of attendance. What keeps you from filling one of those empty seats?

Is it the expense? I know it's expensive and not all can afford to go but what is the main expense that keeps you from going? Ticket prices? Lodging prices? Fuel prices? Food?

I think NASCAR events offer, by far, the best entertainment value for the price of the ticket. Almost every track has tickets that span a pretty big price range.

Lodging isn't a concern for me taking the RV. Most all of the tracks have very inexpensive or even free areas to camp.

Fuel prices are our biggest expense going to a race. This is normally our deciding factor.

Is it a matter of not having the time?

I know for me and my family when we go we normally invest a week into a race weekend. That time off of work is tough to come by. I only live close enough to two event to make them a day trip.

Sitting at home in front of that big screen HD television is an attractive option. That also comes with paying a price. The price being not being able to enjoy the race to its fullest. You limited to watching snippets of a race between commercials where your view is what the network allows you to see. In other words you are not actually seeing a race. Not one of us can adequately rate the race from sitting at home on our couches. JMO

I'll say what I've been saying. If it was just the price of going to a race, TV ratings wouldn't be declining. Interest in the sport is declining and has for the past decade or so.

I'll say what I've been saying. If it was just the price of going to a race, TV ratings wouldn't be declining. Interest in the sport is declining and has for the past decade or so.
You might just be missing the point of this thread. I'm asking the people that are on this forum that are interested in NASCAR. Why don't they go? Why don't you go?

Last edited:
You might just be missing the point of this thread. I'm asking the people that are on this forum that are interested in NASCAR. Why don't they go?

Because the best tracks in NASCAR are right by me. I can honestly say, if I lived in, I don't know, Kansas, I sure as hell wouldn't go to that racetrack.

If you live in the right place, nascar is a great bargain, especially when you bring your food and beverages. In the last 6 months I've been to M'ville for 2 weekends of racing, Daytona and Bristol (spring night race!). I hope to hit M'ville, Bristol and Richmond later this year.

Most of my racing buddies aren't physically capable of walking in and out of the track anymore. It just isn't the same going by myself, but I do it.

I have taken all of my nephews with me hoping a spark would catch.

My wife's work schedule is what limits our trips to the races. Otherwise we would probably hit close to every track every year. There is something about traveling with an RV, especially to the races, that's as addictive as hell. As usual our summer trip this year will be a three or four week odyssey. We're not sure yet. We've never been to Pocono so we're thinking about adding it to the Itinerary.

Bill Elliot retired, Alan Kulwicki is gone and Tim Steele never made it to the big dance. Maybe when Chase gets going I'll return to the track.

For me it is proximity. I live in southern Illinois and the closest track is the Brickyard, which is almost exactly 3 hours away(ironically, I hate to drive).

I'm an introvert that for the most part doesn't like being outside much (I can't stand the bugs), so going to a massive outdoor event with an enormous crowd isn't really my cup of tea. Almost everyone I've ever known that likes NASCAR has tried to convince me to go to a race, but I don't think I ever will.

My dad always wanted to go to Talladega, but he never made it.

My local short tracks is what keeps me from going. I'd rather go watch a big asphalt late model or dirt late model show than I would a NASCAR race. I think 2000 was the last year I went to a cup race, and don't really miss going to one.

Phoenix hosts two race events a year and my family and I never miss any races there, the only thing that prevents us from going any where else is the cost of travel and lodging. If it were possible I would follow Nascar around the country and attend all the races. Its all about the money

In the past, spending $1500 for a weekend of racing wasn't a strain when both my husband and I had steady jobs. That amount was flying to/from, hotel for 2 nights, race tickets, and bus transport to/from the track --- I always went with a tour group.
Can't do it now --- just don't have the income.

Add--- this old lady's knees just aren't what they used to be, either. Climbing stairs is getting more difficult with every year I add to the total.

Combination of things. Too expensive to take a family for the weekend. I'd have to use vacation time at work. The closest tracks to me are Michigan, Pocono, and Kentucky. Hate Michigan and Pocono, and was at the mess of an inagural race for Kentucky, so it will be a while before I go there again.

I used to go to 5 or 6 cup races, and 5 or 6 more Busch GN races. Plus the local tracks every year, and I raced a little too. I dont know how many I attended. My earliest memories are Petty Blue Plymouths, and Bobby Allison Coca Cola Machines. I still remember Isaac in the K&K Dodge, with Harry Hyde as the CC, all the way thru the current era at the tracks (but I aint as old as Johali, or Pudge :)).

I adopted a special needs child in 95, and that is the best thing I ever did. But his physical needs are just to much for an all day cup race. I did take him to some local tracks, and even a couple of WoO events at the dirt track.

He is grown up now, but all of my racing buddies have relocated out of state. We have tried to meet at a centrally located track for a reunion and we probably will soon. Just haven't worked out the logistics yet.

If money were no object I would go to every race except the road courses because you can see more on TV. I do however try to attend 4 or 5 races a year.

Living in Iowa makes going to races pretty easy. Three hours to Kansas, season tickets to Iowa Speedway, could catch the race at Road America and make a relatively short trip to Texas, Chicagoland. What keeps me from making constant trips to all of these places?

Kansas, Chicago and Texas are all 1.5 mile ovals. I'll keep going to Kansas because it's such a convenient trip and venue but not the others.

Same reason I don't go to rock concerts anymore, I hate getting stuck in traffic. Plus with my bad eyes I don't drive at night anymore. Also watching it on TV I get a better view of the track/race.

If money were no object I would go to every race except the road courses because you can see more on TV. I do however try to attend 4 or 5 races a year.
When we go to Sonoma we're going to try to get a camping spot in the RV Terrace campground row A or B overlooking 80% of the track. At Watkins Glen we'll try for the Backstretch camp ground. They both sound pretty good.

it's the cost to me. plus my health is not as good any longer. i still get my bristol tickets every year, but usually give them away, but if i feel up to it and have the extra money i will go. but between gas and parking a rv in a campsite is like taking a vacation. and the town around the tracks seem to charge a bit more for everything.

My problem is I am only 15 years old with little money and no way to get there

Money and time is what keeps me from going. Another problem I have is getting someone to go with me.

In the past, spending $1500 for a weekend of racing wasn't a strain when both my husband and I had steady jobs. That amount was flying to/from, hotel for 2 nights, race tickets, and bus transport to/from the track . Can't do it now --- just don't have the income.

Add--- this old lady's knees just aren't what they used to be, either. Climbing stairs is getting more difficult with every year I add to the total.

same here. plus sold motorhome....so no infield anymore.

no longer attend college or nfl games either.

tv and a 6 pak suits me just fine these days.

I'm a relatively new fan. Started watching in 2007, and went to my first Cup race at NHMS in 2010. 2010 was also the year I started going to my local tracks. That held me over till I got cheap Dover tickets last year and went for the fall race. This year I'm going to NHMS.

The big factors for me are drive time and money. Now that tickets are cheaper I decided "hell with it" and got tickets for the July race at NHMS in the fifth to last row in turn 4 for 49$. When I went in 2010 those same seats were valued at 110$.

We paid our dues! Chased racers all over the country. Over the years we saw all of them race one time or another. In our late seventies now and just watch as many as we can now on the TV. We went to races most wouldn't have been interested in. Chased the KNIGHT from race to race.. Chased Awesome Bill around.. Even Followed Freddy Fryer For a year or two. But that, too, must come to an end!
Betsy

I live right by tms, but the prices for the tickets are way too much for the quality of racing the track puts on. I'm going to the truck race Friday night though because front stretch tickets are 7 bucks :D

I live 26.2 miles away from the best racing show in the world: Bowman Gray Stadium. I'll usually go to Martinsville if it's warm. Charlotte is boring. I used to go all over the east coast (Darlington northward Pocono southward) with my dad but we don't have the money, and you can follow it easier on tv.

For me it is proximity. I live in southern Illinois and the closest track is the Brickyard, which is almost exactly 3 hours away(ironically, I hate to drive).
Same here with the distance. Closest track to me is Kentucky, which is about 3-1/2 hours away. Bristol is a little over 4 hours from here, but fortunately I have family in that area so I can overnight it.

Job and money. However, I do have plans to follow NASCAR around in an RV when I retire.

Basically comes down to epense. A cup race is at least three hours and i cant drive. Tix to NH aren't bad but getting someone to take me is anothr.

I would go to every track once if i could. I dont know if i'd go to a ton of cup races at bigger tracks tho. Tv covers what i cant see much better

Well, I rate the experience compared to the expense. We use to go to the Coke 600 every year, had a good time, but, all the prices from gas , lodging, food, tickets, (good tickets where you are comfortable and can see the whole track and pits) and travel have gone up to the point that the experience is not worth the expense.

I live 156 miles from Miami Homestead raceway and will never go back, even if tickets were FREE. Traffic sucks sucks sucks trying to get out, plus the race view from the grandstands is awfull, you can not see the cars when they are in front of you until they enter the corner plus they are not fan friendly at all like they are at Charlotte, Atlanta, Bristol ETC. If it is a Bruton Smith Track it is the best fan experience you can have.

We do try and make the Atlanta Race each year, fast and fun, so I get my race fix then. Lots of good hotel rooms close by at regular rates.

I fill in the balance of my racing hunger at Desoto Speedway in Bradenton Fla. 70 miles away and (2) great Super Late Model Racing series, 3/8 mile high bank with 14.60 speeds.

I have not been to a cup race in at least a few years. I don't like dealing with the giant crowds, I think the cup races are too long and boring and not worth the price of admission. Love NASCAR short track racing (K&N, Canadian Tire, ARCA), and going to the the occasional dirt late model, IndyCar and sports car races

Health & expense. Race worker from late 70s to early 90s at N Cal tracks, kind of get bored just sitting in the stands. Went to the Sonoma Cup races in late 90s because I got free tickets through work. Only went on Sunday and was bored with only one race per day. I'm a road racer at heart, expect at least three races on Sunday ala IMSA or those great CanAm/TransAm/Atlantics/SuperVee weekends. A few years ago I lived about an hour down I15 from AAA Fontana couldn't get motivated to go.

Back
Top Bottom