What keeps you from going to more or any NASCAR races?

I really have no desire to go to a Nascar race in person. Bristol isn't far up the road and I've never been. I'd rather watch them on TV to be honest.

Holly smoke man, Bristol that close, ya gotta go to at least one night race. I live in Florida and have been to 6 Bristol Night races, staying in Whites Campground across the road from the Track. Get ticket in the stands between turn one and two about 20 to 25 rows up, early shade, can see the hole race and pits and only move your head about 2 inches left or right. Rent a programmed head set to listen to what is happening because once the race starts, without the headset you will be lost as to what is what on the track.

IT DON'T GET NO BETTER THAN A NIGHT RACE AT BRISTOL!!!!

My last race was 2007 at Charlotte, we had a good time, but the price of tickets just got on my nerves.

I'm usually out of town for Memorial Day, and to be honest there's a lot better things to do in October here in North Carolina. Therefore we stopped going to Charlotte.

I stopped going to Rockingham and Wilkesboro because Nascar made me.

I see that many on here like to take note of the lack of attendance. What keeps you from filling one of those empty seats? JMO
Several reasons. It boils down to I feel I can get more value for less money.

The total cost is too high. Some costs, like concessions, are insulting.
You have to commit a lot of time. Very irritating to wait hours in traffic to get into the track, then wait hours again to leave after a race.
If the race rains out chances are I cannot attend on the make-up day so I lose my investment.
It’s hard to identify with the drivers and with the cars. Too many drivers are bland or whiney, and the cars are cookie-cutter yet aren’t like anything on the street (other than a few decals).
Local races provide comparable entertainment for much less money and time. Plus I can actually build a car and compete in most local classes if I want to.
Some other organizations, like WoO, offer more excitement for less overall cost and time.

Yes, you can’t get the full experience by watching on TV. But you do get convenience, and you get replays plus commentary that you can hear. The price difference is $100 or more per person vs. a small portion of my cable TV, electric, and grocery bills. You don’t have to jostle with people to sit or move around, or deal with rude drunks.

Probably the reason that NASCAR and track promoters fear most: I really don’t miss attending their races live anymore. I don’t even watch a lot of their races on TV either. Ironically, maybe some of my peeves could be fixed by the smaller crowds and package deals at some tracks. But I’ve lost too much interest to pursue it anymore.

I always go to races in Michigan.. Its close to where I live.. I think its like $40 for an infield bracelet.. I try to go to Pocono and Indianapolis at least once every year..

The two closest tracks to me are Dover and Pocono. I've never been to a race mainly because I worry about wasting my time and money if it gets rained out. Plus, watching it on TV in the comfort of my own home is a pretty good way to experience the race, IMO.

When I sit down in the evening and hit the DVR to watch a race, I know the only obnoxious, beer drinking jerk I’ll have to put up with is – me.

HA! took words outta my mouth clarence ! goodun !

I used to go to at least 5 or 6 races every year. The most I attended in one year was 10.
But then nascar started doing things to the sport that I didn't like very much, so I decided to stop spending my money going to their races.
It's that simple.

I'm not a fanatic about it though. I'll still go to a race or two if I feel like it.
But as long as nascar has what is imo a ridiculous point system, I won't be in the stands for the most part.

I have to honestly say, that a points system would never detour me from going to a race. But, i guess some things just bother others more then it bothers me.

Ultimately for me, it's where I'm located. Here in NWA, the only tracks I could attend while making it worth the drive and money would be Texas and Kansas. As for why I don't go to those very often...I honestly have no reason. Tickets are expensive, but if I simply saved $10 or $15 from each paycheck, I could likely afford it, especially Kansas. It's a three hour drive, so I could wake up early, drive up there then drive back after the race, not even having to pay for a hotel. Texas is about a 5 1/2 drive, so that would be a bit more difficult. Anything else would require a long drive with hotel stays. I don't normally do those kind of trips with limited time, because I hate paying for hotels when I simply have to get up and leave without being able to enjoy anything else the city has to offer. That's why when going on long trips, we usually drive non stop rather than pulling over at a hotel.

I have to honestly say, that a points system would never detour me from going to a race. But, i guess some things just bother others more then it bothers me.

You're probably right, but it's more than just a different point system that bothers me. To me it's about the credibility and history of the sport.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the chase system has separated the past history of the sport from the current era. An example of that is that Jeff Gordon did the same thing Richard Petty, Cale, Pearson, and all the other great champions did to win his championships... accumulated the most points over an entire season.
You used to be able to feel a connection to historic past champions when a new champion was crowned. It's not that way anymore.

imo the chase system nascar is a cheap version of the sport I grew up with. I don't like it as much so I'm not going to spend my money on it.

But like I said, I'm not going to be a fanatic about it. I went to the Richmond NW and Cup race this year. :)

mreed......coca-cola's used ta be 6 cents when i was growin up too.

times change. ya'll enjoy nascar better if you do too.

on tha other hand.....bitchin might give a feller more pleasure. :)

Mainly because nobody will go to races with me (except for Charlotte which is very close). :(

I'd love to get to some of tracks within a few hours of me - Darlington, Bristol, Martinsville, and Richmond

You're probably right, but it's more than just a different point system that bothers me. To me it's about the credibility and history of the sport.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the chase system has separated the past history of the sport from the current era. An example of that is that Jeff Gordon did the same thing Richard Petty, Cale, Pearson, and all the other great champions did to win his championships... accumulated the most points over an entire season.
You used to be able to feel a connection to historic past champions when a new champion was crowned. It's not that way anymore.

imo the chase system nascar is a cheap version of the sport I grew up with. I don't like it as much so I'm not going to spend my money on it.

But like I said, I'm not going to be a fanatic about it. I went to the Richmond NW and Cup race this year. :)
They did the same thing in the Nhra and a lot of the Nhra fans say the same thing you did. The only difference is the Nhra fans are pissed at Nhra for coppying Nascar.:) The only Nascar race i have been to this year is California speedway.

Mainly because nobody will go to races with me (except for Charlotte which is very close). :(

I'd love to get to some of tracks within a few hours of me - Darlington, Bristol, Martinsville, and Richmond

carolina ...... gotta be social media way ta hook up w/ another fan / fans. ?
young guys help out here please !

What keeps me from going? Pretty easy actually... I'm a homebody & enjoy kicking back on my Lazy Boy on a sat night or sun afternoon, eating & watching Nascar in the privacy of my own home, I've always been that way. Not a fan of being outside in the elements & sitting in those uncomfortable grandstands for several hours!

What keeps me from going is being on the other side of the world.

However in saying that, we are over to the Phoenix race in November. This will be the 5th race that we have come over for. So anyone saying that traffic is an issue, try dealing with travel to airport, check in, a 14 hour flight, rental car, travel, then the race day traffic.... you see where I am going here.

But, like what was said previously, its all part of it, the 'Welcome Race Fans' banners, the fans, the flags, the general enthusiasm, other peoples transport etc. Nascar is Nascar and its freaking fun to be a part of the day.

Then, being there is a buzz, the sights, the atmosphere, the sounds, the start your engines call and the sound of 43 cold engines starting..... that's goosebumps stuff right there let alone on the start and any restart.

We also follow top level drag racing and last weekend I took a buddy along to watch the Top Fuelers. He has watched on tv before and said it was good enough for him. When you see these in person..... nothing, and I mean nothing can prepare you for the assault on your senses.

mreed......coca-cola's used ta be 6 cents when i was growin up too.

times change. ya'll enjoy nascar better if you do too.

on tha other hand.....bitchin might give a feller more pleasure. :)

6 cents? what are you, a civil war vet?

I'm not bitching.

nascar... It is what it is.

But, like what was said previously, its all part of it, the 'Welcome Race Fans' banners, the fans, the flags, the general enthusiasm, other peoples transport etc. Nascar is Nascar and its freaking fun to be a part of the day.

Then, being there is a buzz, the sights, the atmosphere, the sounds, the start your engines call and the sound of 43 cold engines starting..... that's goosebumps stuff right there let alone on the start and any restart.

Exactly. Maybe that atmosphere wears off after a dozen races. But like you, I haven't been to many races, and the atmosphere is more powerful than anything in sports that I know of.

Been to Charlotte, Dover, Pocono,and Loudon.
Loudon being closest and cheaper is my yearly indulgence. Camp @the track ,same spot for years, you get to know all the price tricks.This year I haggled my same 4 Sept. Sunday seats, camping spot, and Sat.tix. Ended up with HOT PASSES, Two extra Sat.tix, and Half price camping spot. Not too shabby. Next year, spring All Star Race, camping @ Tom Johnson Resort , and eating@ Waffle House.
The atmosphere gets in your blood, and to me, its just a good time.Food,Camping friends, and racing. Good times.

Last edited:
I'd go to more races if I had more money. Living 50 minutes from MIS makes it easy but the overnight events are just so expensive.

Use to make the 7 hour drive to TMS at least once a year. That stopped in 2007 when I had my daughter. Was about to take her this year to the November race, but my wife will be 7 months prego by then so the cycle starts again. Lol. Waiting for circuit of americas to get a race.

Use to make the 7 hour drive to TMS at least once a year. That stopped in 2007 when I had my daughter. Was about to take her this year to the November race, but my wife will be 7 months prego by then so the cycle starts again. Lol. Waiting for circuit of americas to get a race.
Life goes on. Enjoy it.

This. And I'll throw in the 3 pre-race caution laps and then the lights going off on the pace car for that last lap, it never gets old. The energy surrounding a race both outside and inside the track is unmatched.

The two cup races were some of the worst races of the year. I went to last year's Dover race where JJ led half the race, there were only four cautions, and my favorite driver had taken the phrase "break a leg" a little to literally so he wasn't racing. In 2010 at Loudon there was a green flag stretch of 200 laps and my driver finished second to...Jimmie Johnson.

BUT, it was 100x better than sitting in my chair at home watching the race from a TV.

I've never attended a race that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. The hype, the tailgating, the camaraderie. I always feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Plus, lately, it involves time with family. You can't put a price on that.
As with everything in life, it's all about attitude. I once saw Jarrett lead about every lap in a caution free race at MIS and still had a blast. Back then we partied. These days it's about being there and having an appreciation for the entire spectacle that is Cup racing. I just wish I could go to more races.

This pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.

We all know JJ is going to win at least 7 championships in his career, and we all know the comments from nascar and the rest of the sports world is how he's as great as Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt. The fact is, you can't compare him to those 2 now.

Petty and Earnhardt won their championships by acquiring the most points over the entire season. JJ has won his by acquiring the most points over a 10 race period each year.

I used to hate Jeff Gordon, but my hatred for him as really turned in the past 5 or 6 years. I'm not going to say Id pull for him, but I will say if anyone has been screwed by the Chase format then its him. Instead of talking about Gordon in the same class as Petty and Earnhardt, the sports world will be talking about JJ, Petty, and Earnhardt, only because the sport changed the rules.

I don't like it, Nascar does not need a playoff system.

There are a lot of different issues for me.

1. I have a 2 year old and life comes to a screeching halt a bit. He is going to Sonoma with us this year, but its a tough thing to keep a 2 year old occupied over the course of a long Sunday at the track let alone a weekend.

2. Im in California. We need more races over here. Instead I get to see 2 crappy Pocono races every year. My options with minimal travel are Sonoma, Fontana, Phoenix and Vegas.

3. Personally as much as I enjoy sporting events live in general, people suck, and sometimes I just prefer to be in the comfort of my own home.

4. Sundays. I have the type of job where I can control my schedule. FOr instance, THursday is the hauler parade in Sacramento for the Sonoma race. I will be going to it because I can dictate my schedule. However, Nascars on Sundays makes it very difficult on Mondays. Mondays in general are pretty important in the workplace so its just harder to justify for me.

We go to Sonoma every year. Its become a tradition for us. Its a simple trip for us. My wife couldnt handle a week at the track. So for us we usually just go to the cup races. It just doesnt make sense for us to go to Fonatana for a Sunday race and then turn around and drive 6 hours home. We want to go to Phoenix at some point. She has bever seen an oval Nascar race.

The closest track to me is Texas Motor Speedway. I'm only 23, but I've been to a handful of races there and honestly would prefer simply watching at home. I enjoy the environment at TMS but the racing simply isn't worth the price of admission. The Truck race there two weeks ago was like having a pine cone jammed in my rear end...

The last race I went to was the winter race here at PIR in 2012, and I always have a good time, but I would rather stay home an watch it on TV to be honest, its hard going to races as a fan after getting spoiled to going as a guest of team/driver

Multicar teams, restrictor plates, nascar credibility, high prices, IROC type cars. I just as soon have tickets to a WWE event. Ill watch but they are not getting anymore of my money.

Back
Top Bottom