What NASCAR can do to make TV experience more exciting

2. The commentators. Dear god we need some more excitement in the booth. Half the time they are talking about things other thant the race. Listen to MRN and put those guy in the booth. The radio commentators are 100% more exciting to listen to compared to the TV guys.
The talking heads know their stuff and would be a lot more interesting --- if they were allowed to talk about what was actually
happening on the track, rather than what was being shown on the monitors in front of them.
Have the cameras follow the booth, not the other way around. If they are talking about the dog fight for 14th place among 3 drivers, have the cameras
SHOW the action.

nascar is not for the masses. it is only going to appeal to a select group of people. all the gimmicks or tricks are not going to attack long term fans. people that get it will watch the rest will come and go.

The commercials bother me but I'm not paying $30 to watch a race on PPV when I get to see (most of) it for free on NBC.
I wouldn't pay $30/race but I sure would pay whatever the NFL charges for Sunday Ticket if that were the cost for commercial free or extremely limited commercial coverage of NASCAR channel.

Your joking of course, other than a couple of players on the field the rest jump and push for 15 seconds then stand around feeling each others ass for 5 min. until the next play. Stupidest game going. :owquitit:

LOL, Pete, well football isn't as good as a bonspiel.

What if there was a thing on your computer or mobile device that would let you watch 6 or 8 battles for position at once? Put cameras on the track specifically to film ongoing battles for positions, aside from the normal cameras that are already there.

I like this idea . Fans complain about a race being boring with very few changes in the lead position , but when you look at the stats , there were hundreds of green flag changes for position back in the pack that weren't shown . Then you'll hear a driver say , "He and I fought for fifteenth all day long . We beat on each other like crazy ." Meanwhile , all you see on TV is the leader turning laps.

110,000% nothing they can do. You either get the sport or you don't. Just like football, baseball, etc. I was thinking about it the other day. I freakin' hate soccer with a passion. Dumbest ass sport I have ever seen--perhaps a niche sport like NASCAR. What could the MLS do to bring me in? Nothing. Don't even try. I hate it, and I am not coming no matter what. What the hell makes us think that we can change this sport to attract people who will never come?
Whenever I wonder why I can't get certain people to watch racing I think about getting myself to watch soccer regularly and it all makes sense. Nothing against those guys but it just isn't for me.

I like this idea . Fans complain about a race being boring with very few changes in the lead position , but when you look at the stats , there were hundreds of green flag changes for position back in the pack that weren't shown . Then you'll hear a driver say , "He and I fought for fifteenth all day long . We beat on each other like crazy ." Meanwhile , all you see on TV is the leader turning laps.
This. I hate this.

When I went to the finale at Homestead last month one of the best battles I saw was Allgaier vs. Truex Jr. somewhere between 15th-20th. This went on for probably half a dozen laps. I'm certain that at the same time all ESPN was showing was Harvick running around by himself or lapping a Burger King car for the 37th time.

As has been stated, if you just don't care at all about racing, then nothing the broadcast does will change your mind. Only the live event will make a difference.

If you are interested, though, some things could help. A race has a lot going on, and the current broadcasts don't do it justice. Tight shots and the distractions of way too many commercials and other interruptions make it very difficult to follow the strategy. I love racing, and I still have a hard time following what is going on, particularly if it involves the latter half of the field. It used to be a lot more play by play, and less commentary. There needs to be a better balance. They need Ned Jarratt to teach them.

This. I hate this.

When I went to the finale at Homestead last month one of the best battles I saw was Allgaier vs. Truex Jr. somewhere between 15th-20th. This went on for probably half a dozen laps. I'm certain that at the same time all ESPN was showing was Harvick running around by himself or lapping a Burger King car for the 37th time.
Allgaier and Truex were not chase drivers, therefore they didn't exist.

Sorry thats it Boogity boogity I was trying to erase it from my brain
NA$CAR wants the sport to get out of the sticks but still let DW drag the sport back to sounding like a bunch of hicks in the booth. When I talk to my car buds that don't watch NA$CAR they always refer to NA$CAR as a bunch of hicks driving around in circles.

NA$CAR wants the sport to get out of the sticks but still let DW drag the sport back to sounding like a bunch of hicks in the booth. When I talk to my car buds that don't watch NA$CAR they always refer to NA$CAR as a bunch of hicks driving around in circles.
That's the main thing I don't like about Fox's coverage. It comes off very hokey, they need to be a bit more professional, IMO.

Yep lets keep ole DW up there sayin, his famous legend in his on mind, Boogitty Boogity by GOD Boogity for a few more mind numbing years. And now boys let me tell ya blah dablah blah blah, yeah me an June Bug or me and Earnhardt and me use ta. I know a lot of you like him, but, I have no respect for the man because of his actions over time. Give me Kyle Petty anyday over that idiot.

Can't wait for more boogidy boogidy, and Larry Macisms myself. The coverage keeps getting better the more the networks pay for the privilege it seems. I saw a lot more in the pack racing this year then ever before.

Yep lets keep ole DW up there sayin, his famous legend in his on mind, Boogitty Boogity by GOD Boogity for a few more mind numbing years. And now boys let me tell ya blah dablah blah blah, yeah me an June Bug or me and Earnhardt and me use ta. I know a lot of you like him, but, I have no respect for the man because of his actions over time. Give me Kyle Petty anyday over that idiot.
Woed down there fella. Another DW sayin. How many times have you heard announcers in F1 or IndyCar say "he had a hard time woeing his car down". No only in NA$CAR.

Name one.
I'm guessing that they had no obligation to hire him. They probably have done their studies and he resulted on the favorable side. Contrary to popular belief what you or I like may not necessarily be what others want. He must appeal to someone or he wouldn't have been offered the job. Hell, I still scratch my head every time I hear Ol' DW utter his folksy crap at the beginning of each FOX , NASCAR broadcast. There are people out there that love to hear that too I guess.

That's the main thing I don't like about Fox's coverage. It comes off very hokey, they need to be a bit more professional, IMO.
so now we want to make nascar hip. maybe they should put fifty cent in the booth.

not sure it's really about the television coverage...more like the sport in general:

with the make up of the major teams, four cars each, doesn't it seem like most of the field, and certainly everyone that has a chance to win, is nothing more than another big business corporation?

kind of hard to enjoy any sporting event if the underdog has no chance at succeeding.

trucks and busch series included, where is the opportunity for an alan kulwicki?

I try to tune into every NASCAR Race when there is 50 laps left to go. I find it fairly pointless to watch the drivers turn on the cruise control during laps prior. It's pretty obvious to me that they are just saving it for the end.

However, sometimes I miss the last 50 laps because I lose track of time. I think there should a NASCAR app that buzzes my Phone when they have the Competition debris caution with 50 laps to go. That would allow viewers to actually watch the exciting part of the race. The app would also wake people up who fell asleep during the race.

I'm guessing that they had no obligation to hire him. They probably have done their studies and he resulted on the favorable side. Contrary to popular belief what you or I like may not necessarily be what others want. He must appeal to someone or he wouldn't have been offered the job. Hell, I still scratch my head every time I hear Ol' DW utter his folksy crap at the beginning of each FOX , NASCAR broadcast. There are people out there that love to hear that too I guess.

Fox's coverage is the overwhelming fan favorite.

Fox's coverage is the overwhelming fan favorite.
Sure FOX is the fan favorite but we weren't talking about broadcast entity's. I was talking about the talking heads. Specifically Ol' DW. He falls on the wrong side of the scale when it comes to popularity. He's looked at as one of the "Worst Announcer's" of them all. I guess the simple fact that he brings attention to the sport is enough to keep him in his spot.

7MYQkoe.png

from here

Seems to me that Rutt was hired about the same time as the furry rodent . Both ,seemingly , to appeal to kids . I notice , that he doesn't make the above list . Nor does digger .

Thankfully Brad Daugherty is gone. I don't know why the hell Mikey is still around. He's the worst ever in any sport. I watch the Truck races but mute the sound.

Thankfully Brad Daugherty is gone. I don't know why the hell Mikey is still around. He's the worst ever in any sport. I watch the Truck races but mute the sound.
Maybe he'll go on the DWTS tour and we won't see him around for a while? :D

ole dw is fox's answer ta terry bradshaw on their popular nfl pregame show. :D
takes a team of diff personality types ta balance coverage........please everybody.

Back
Top Bottom