What NASCAR can do to make TV experience more exciting

Sure FOX is the fan favorite but we weren't talking about broadcast entity's. I was talking about the talking heads. Specifically Ol' DW. He falls on the wrong side of the scale when it comes to popularity. He's looked at as one of the "Worst Announcer's" of them all. I guess the simple fact that he brings attention to the sport is enough to keep him in his spot.

7MYQkoe.png

from here

It's nothing new. Baseball fans loathe and detest Joe Buck more than NASCAR fans loathe and detest Darrell Waltrip. Football fans complain about Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden.

Fox and NBC aren't going to please everyone. What one person likes, another doesn't. Was on Twitter during one of the NASCAR Chase races and everyone was hating on Allen Bestwick and ESPN and screaming for Fox to come back. Funny, I thought ESPN's coverage was the best in NASCAR. :idunno:

Personally, I liked Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach on TNT but, as that chart shows, I was one of very few.

It's nothing new. Baseball fans loathe and detest Joe Buck more than NASCAR fans loathe and detest Darrell Waltrip. Football fans complain about Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden.

Fox and NBC aren't going to please everyone. What one person likes, another doesn't. Was on Twitter during one of the NASCAR Chase races and everyone was hating on Allen Bestwick and ESPN and screaming for Fox to come back. Funny, I thought ESPN's coverage was the best in NASCAR. :idunno:

Personally, I liked Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach on TNT but, as that chart shows, I was one of very few.
I liked the TNT guys too, even AA. Aside from his wreck fetish, Bestwick on ESPN wasn't bad either. The only guy on Fox I like is Mike Joy, I don't really have much use for anybody else there.

I liked the TNT guys too, even AA. Aside from his wreck fetish, Bestwick on ESPN wasn't bad either. The only guy on Fox I like is Mike Joy, I don't really have much use for anybody else there.

TNT had A LOT of problems. Adam Alexander, Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach weren't the problems.

TNT had A LOT of problems. Adam Alexander, Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach weren't the problems.
I liked Wally & Kyle but my worst is led by Mikey, followed closely by DW. Why not get some recently retired drivers instead of those that haven't raced in years or were only good at talking about themselves? To tell the truth Vickers was growing on me when he was on TV and if he can't race because of health issues I'd be all for him getting a tryout. Whatever happens please get DW and his halfwit brother Mikey off TV.

No, Jeff Burton is the new DW.
what does he know about winning a championship? what stories is he going to tell to kill time and be funny, he never really was a top of the chart driver. other then kicking ass at New Hampshire he is no DW. this is the guy the world is waiting for to bring nascar to the masses?

Going off the tablet/phone updates during the race; I think it would be cool to have an app where it shows you every change made to the car during the race and how those changes are affecting the car's performance. Make it interactive, so you can click on the tires or the gas tank or springs etc and it shows you the amount of fuel used, tire wear, etc etc.

Strategy to me is some of the best part of racing.

Going off the tablet/phone updates during the race; I think it would be cool to have an app where it shows you every change made to the car during the race and how those changes are affecting the car's performance. Make it interactive, so you can click on the tires or the gas tank or springs etc and it shows you the amount of fuel used, tire wear, etc etc.

Strategy to me is some of the best part of racing.

That'd be a cool one , bet the other teams would subscribe .

when dw kicks off fox's speedweek coverage in '15 .......i'm gonna laugh and think bout all you da dw bashers !
and continue smilin thru summer.....after nbc comes on board !

Woed down there fella. Another DW sayin. How many times have you heard announcers in F1 or IndyCar say "he had a hard time woeing his car down". No only in NA$CAR.

I bet the announcers in F1 don't ever sing that old country classic "Why Did You Leave Me Loose Wheel" nearly as good as DW does.

Used to really enjoy DW as a kid, now as I have gotten older he's just kind of meh, he has some good days and some bad days.

I really think the key to this working is Jeff Burton. He needs to actually speak his mind, unlike Dale Jarrett who almost never spoke and always seemed to be scripted.

I could see Rick being extremely dry though, so hopefully he can get into it to break that a bit.

ole dw is fox's answer ta terry bradshaw on their popular nfl pregame show. :D
takes a team of diff personality types ta balance coverage........please everybody.

I don't know, Terry Bradshaw is just plain Funny and fun to listen to, he pokes fun at himself and others and has a large time with it. DW on the other hand, is all about DW Period. I know I know, I just flat do not like DW at all.:cool:

Going back to the original title to this thread.

The only areas for making it more exciting would have to be in the prerace sociological anticipation area. The race itself is what it is, it is too multifaceted during the race to add or subtract any excitement at any given point due to the ever changing conditions and events threw out the race. Once the Green flag drops it is a fluid situation till the end, with many exciting and boring moments, both short moments and long durations (sorry to say) of mind numbing boredom IE: long green flag runs at 1.5 and 2 mile tracks.

Now if we want to make it more fan friendly and interactive, well, now we have something to work toward.

More aerial shots. Every restart should be covered from the blimp.

Ban 'single car' shots. If I want to see a single car against an asphalt background, I'll change my computer's wallpaper. It does nothing to tell the story of the race. If it takes a long shot to show more than one car, then that's the tool to use.

Ditto banning 'in track' cameras. They may show speed, but they don't tell me what's happening.

More split-screen shots when needed to show two different battles for position.

Don't obsess over the leader. If he's checked out, look for the next best battle, even if its for 28th place. That's what fans at the track do.

If the networks won't show the race in a box during the commercials, at least run the top ticker during them.

Quit showing those stupid 'bumpers' going to commercial. No one tunes in to see the drivers mugging for the camera in a studio several months ago.

Tape the driver's meeting and run it during the pre-race show.

Hey NASCAR! We know about your sport! We're already tuned in! We'd much rather watch actual racing than the ump-teenth series / Chase promo.

Last edited:
I don't know, Terry Bradshaw is just plain Funny and fun to listen to, he pokes fun at himself and others and has a large time with it. DW on the other hand, is all about DW Period. I know I know, I just flat do not like DW at all.:cool:

sdj....that's why they put tha mute button on tha remote . :D
i'm just thankful it ain't mikey / kenny instead ! anybody but those 2.

daytona & dw can't get here fast enuff for me !

Going back to the original title to this thread.

The only areas for making it more exciting would have to be in the prerace sociological anticipation area..

you'll have ta wait til summer when kyle petty / krista take over nbc prerace show.

I can't believe NBC hired Rutledge Wood for all their motorsports coverage. :(
Me either, I had to quit watching 2 shows he was on, I couldn't believe people actually thought he was funny. And then I saw a couple guys walking down the street with the crotch of their pants at the knees and realized I was wrong.:)

Bring back the crash cab with Jimmy Spenser!
Have an interview with Matt Kenseth every week.;) I know I know.
Bring back the "REAL" Trophy Girls, in Victory Lane.
Get Jimmy Spenser back as a color commentator.
Bring back Jaco the monkey
Race on Bias ply tires.
Bring back, Fastest Car set's on the pole
Bring back most points for the year wins the championship
Finally understand that this ain't freaken football or Basket Ball.
Make sure all races can be seen on a regular TV channel and not have to have cable or a dish.
Never let Darrell or Mikey Waltrup on the air again

You folks who got issues with broadcasters mute the TV. Personally I like Fox broadcasters they are the only ones who seem to get excited about on track racing. Everybody else is so dry.

Bring back the crash cab with Jimmy Spenser!
Have an interview with Matt Kenseth every week.;) I know I know.
Bring back the "REAL" Trophy Girls, in Victory Lane.
Get Jimmy Spenser back as a color commentator.
Bring back Jaco the monkey
Race on Bias ply tires.
Bring back, Fastest Car set's on the pole
Bring back most points for the year wins the championship
Finally understand that this ain't freaken football or Basket Ball.
Make sure all races can be seen on a regular TV channel and not have to have cable or a dish.
Never let Darrell or Mikey Waltrup on the air again

Fastest car sits on the pole ? Horrors !:eek:

Camera angles from the vantage point of fans in the stands. Less talking, more engine noise. Less cutting to an in-car or close up shot during a great battle. More in-car audio.

...More in-car audio.
Speaking of which, am I the only one who can't understand most of the replayed radio traffic? Yes, I am indeed going deaf, but is this just another sign of it or is the radio traffic unintelligible to everyone else too? I don't have this problem with my scanner at the track.

"We caught this exchange between Knaus and the #48:
Johnson: 'ad dfae can asdfa haz jhl cheezburger?'
Knaus: 'jph fries knilon shake knoianf supersize.'
Johnson: 'sdfe pittsburgh ndoipea boarding ipjin gate 12.' "

If everyone is having the same problem then either clean it up digitally, subtitle it, or don't do it at all. In the current form, it's just frustrating.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who can't understand most of the replayed radio traffic? Yes, I am indeed going deaf, but is this just another sign of it or is the radio traffic unintelligible to everyone else too? I don't have this problem with my scanner at the track.

"We caught this exchange between Knaus and the #48:
Johnson: 'ad dfae can asdfa haz jhl cheezburger?'
Knaus: 'jph fries knilon shake knoianf supersize.'
Johnson: 'sdfe pittsburgh ndoipea boarding ipjin gate 12.' "

If everyone is having the same problem then either clean it up digitally, subtitle it, or don't do it at all. In the current form, it's just frustrating.
Watching the race from home I listen to the scanner feeds on nascar.com's Raceview package. I mainly listen to DE JR. without issue. Maybe you need to root for a new driver? :D

Watching the race from home I listen to the scanner feeds on nascar.com's Raceview package. I mainly listen to DE JR. without issue. Maybe you need to root for a new driver? :D
Raceview may be good, but it doesn't improve television coverage or affect how the networks rebroadcast scanners.

Personally, Raceview doesn't fit the way I watch a televised race. I watch most races in the garage, with no computer access. I get up during the commercials and do yard work. I've been doing this so long I can 'feel' when the commercial break will end. I'd much prefer to listen to MRN / PRN, but I can't get their broadcast stream to synch with the TV pictures.

Camera angles from the vantage point of fans in the stands. Less talking, more engine noise. Less cutting to an in-car or close up shot during a great battle. More in-car audio.
I dunno, I've sat in some pretty questionable seats. Would you want to see the Talladega backstretch from the 'chicken bone' seats? Not to mention road courses.

More engine noise? One of the few advantages of being at home instead of the track is that I don't have to wear earplugs.

Back
Top Bottom