What's going on at FOX Sports 1?

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
dillnertweet.png

10625127_10152661615760395_6946079427332744429_n (1).jpg

I bet the farm it turns into the sports version of Fox News. White and blonde, preferably with a nice rack, becomes a job requirement.

Also, keep in mind that Dillner owns Speed51.com which does so much for short track racing in terms of promoting and covering events.

This is a dark day for the sport.

Hey, I'm there. ;)

In all seriousness though, if Kaitlyn Vincie was on instead of Bob Dillner, would that somehow make you more likely to watch? I mean, does FOX think we (NASCAR fans) aren't watching because they don't have enough hot girls walking around?

If FOX Sports 1 had Charissa Thompson and Molly McGrath as the sideline reporters for their soccer coverage or hosting the pre-game show, would that make you suddenly sit through a two hour soccer broadcast?

That's too bad. I like Dillner. If there is any possible way to screw up a channel these idiots will find it.

Personally, my viewing of the channel has dropped considerably since the switch to Fox Sports 1. And I've not been watching Race Hub anywhere nearly as much since they stopped having Jimmy on the show on a regular basis.

In all seriousness though, if Kaitlyn Vincie was on instead of Bob Dillner, would that somehow make you more likely to watch? I mean, does FOX think we (NASCAR fans) aren't watching because they don't have enough hot girls walking around?

If FOX Sports 1 had Charissa Thompson and Molly McGrath as the sideline reporters for their soccer coverage or hosting the pre-game show, would that make you suddenly sit through a two hour soccer broadcast?

No, not really.

And you're asking the wrong guy. I dont watch or care to watch any of the pre-show crap anymore. I feel bad about those guys because I genuinely think Dillner is one of the most knowledgeable NASCAR guy in the garage but this doesn't affect me at all.

And you're asking the wrong guy. I dont watch or care to watch any of the pre-show crap anymore. I feel bad about those guys because I genuinely think Dillner is one of the most knowledgeable NASCAR guy in the garage but this doesn't affect me at all.
Yep. I watch to watch the race. Majority of the time the tv is on mute & MRN is on. TV talking heads dont sway me.

Personally, my viewing of the channel has dropped considerably since the switch to Fox Sports 1. And I've not been watching Race Hub anywhere nearly as much since they stopped having Jimmy on the show on a regular basis.

Same here. The 5pm timeslot doesn't work for me, so I rarely watch. Jimmy was f'ing hilarious. Sometimes he was the only one who was right.

I don't think anyone(the people in charge) at FoxSports1 know anything about Nascar. I mean they hired Regis to talk sports for crying out loud.

I have other tabs open for that stuff though.

NASCAR journalism is notoriously bad and it just seems to get worse.

I'm VERY worried about what this means for exposure for short tracks. If this has any negative impact on Speed51.com, it's going to be a devastating blow to grassroots racing, nationwide.

I'm VERY worried about what this means for exposure for short tracks. If this has any negative impact on Speed51.com, it's going to be a devastating blow to grassroots racing, nationwide.

Huh? What does Fox have to do with short track racing?

Huh? What does Fox have to do with short track racing?
If Speed51 doesn't make enough money to support itself via ad revenue then Dillner's salary was probably subsidizing the costs of running it. That's what I think Andy is afraid of.

If Speed51 doesn't make enough money to support itself via ad revenue then Dillner's salary was probably subsidizing the costs of running it. That's what I think Andy is afraid of.

Not to mention that Dillner's one of very few people who have built a bridge between short track racing and NASCAR racing. Bob and Matt Dillner did a lot to revive the Snowball Derby to its former glory.

This just sucks.

It sucks that they got rid of Dillner, I am a fan of Speed51 and you could always tell that he knew his stuff (even before knowing of Speed51). I don't really have time to watch races on tv these days, however, whether or not I like the people on the broadcasts or not isn't going to have any affect on if i'll watch it or not. I'm watching for the race, not the on air talent. If that was a problem for me, I would never watch a race with Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds.... I don't like them, but i'll deal with crappy on air talent if its a race i want to watch.

Maybe Dillner can get a job with MavTV, they are doing a pretty good job supporting motorsports.

It sucks that they got rid of Dillner, I am a fan of Speed51 and you could always tell that he knew his stuff (even before knowing of Speed51).

Yep. I might work for a "rival" site but Bob's done a lot for this sport. I was truly saddened to hear this.

It's not just television either - but FOX Sports 1 is the worst. That media center is loaded with people who genuinely don't care about the sport. I mean, people who cover baseball are expected to know about the sport. People who cover football are expected to know about up and coming prospects ahead of the draft. But this NASCAR media center is full of people who have never been to even as much as the Snowball Derby. Hell, most of them didn't even go to the Denny Hamlin race when it was at Richmond.

The NASCAR media has honestly become as bad as the sport itself. There are people who want to be there, covering races and covering up-and-coming drivers. There are people who will go to short tracks and cover races and cover stories about drivers nobody's heard of instead of just talking about a rich kid that NASCAR's promoting. And we can't get a foot in the door. Some of us will go to a Nationwide race and then go to a short track later that night, cover that race and then go to a Cup race the next morning instead of talking about what Carl Edwards ate for breakfast. We want to be there. Some of us know who these drivers are when they make their debut in the Xfinity Series and can write about them, talk about them and explain to people who they are. But nobody wants us because we're not women who are 36-24-36 with blonde hair.

There are drivers who, when they make their NASCAR debut, they have a story to tell that's not just your standard, typical, rich, suburban white kid story. Some of us care enough to tell those stories because we love this sport and want to be there.

When the Jake Crum/Ryan Ellis incident happened, I bet nobody who covered that knew who either driver was.

Jake Crum: 2008 UARA-STARS Champion, 2009 MDCU 300 winner (biggest race in LMSC racing). National Championships in WKA and INEX.
Ryan Ellis: Raced Late Models and Legends cars at Old Dominion Speedway for years. I know this because I was there.

Nobody in the mainstream motorsports media knew this. They didn't know who either driver was. Hell, they couldn't even get a comment from Jake Crum -- something I was able to do in 17.43 seconds.

There are drivers who, when they make their NASCAR debut, they have a story to tell that's not just your standard, typical, rich, suburban white kid story. Some of us care enough to tell those stories because we love this sport and want to be there.

When the Jake Crum/Ryan Ellis incident happened, I bet nobody who covered that knew who either driver was.

Jake Crum: 2008 UARA-STARS Champion, 2009 MDCU 300 winner (biggest race in LMSC racing). National Championships in WKA and INEX.
Ryan Ellis: Raced Late Models and Legends cars at Old Dominion Speedway for years. I know this because I was there.

Nobody in the mainstream motorsports media knew this. They didn't know who either driver was. Hell, they couldn't even get a comment from Jake Crum -- something I was able to do in 17.43 seconds.
Do you want a cookie

That media center is loaded with people who genuinely don't care about the sport. I mean, people who cover baseball are expected to know about the sport. People who cover football are expected to know about up and coming prospects ahead of the draft. But this NASCAR media center is full of people who have never been to even as much as the Snowball Derby. Hell, most of them didn't even go to the Denny Hamlin race when it was at Richmond.

Not going to single out fox specifically to bash, in this tread anyway, but aren't all news outlets the same? We don't have news people like we did before. We used to have people who researched and interviewed those covered in the story and then reported on it. We now have people who simply read on air what's given to them.
When a local sportscaster mispronounces the name of a player on a local team and my wife who has no interest in baseball picks up on it proves the point.

This is exactly how I feel. Are they really that out of touch with the viewers?

Not going to single out fox specifically to bash, in this tread anyway, but aren't all news outlets the same? We don't have news people like we did before. We used to have people who researched and interviewed those covered in the story and then reported on it. We now have people who simply read on air what's given to them.
When a local sportscaster mispronounces the name of a player on a local team and my wife who has no interest in baseball picks up on it proves the point.
The news media, especially TV, quit being about "news" years ago. They're in the entertainment business. Got to attract eyeballs so they can sell those advertisements. It's hard to find any "on-air talent" that knows what they're talking about anymore. A lot of them can't even read the teleprompter correctly, but they smile and make dumb editorial statements about stuff they don't understand and management loves it as long as they "have the look".

In NASCAR's case, it's another indication that their powers-that-be don't get it. Evidenced by complaints on this board, people are getting fed up and are turning off. It's already hurting viewership (has been for years) but they keep on repeating these mistakes. Oh well... might end up helping local short track attendance.

I like Dillner. I think he is fair, balanced, unbiased and without an agenda...rare traits in today's "journalism."

Randy Pemberton needs to be medicated and soon.

The news media, especially TV, quit being about "news" years ago. They're in the entertainment business. Got to attract eyeballs so they can sell those advertisements. It's hard to find any "on-air talent" that knows what they're talking about anymore. A lot of them can't even read the teleprompter correctly, but they smile and make dumb editorial statements about stuff they don't understand and management loves it as long as they "have the look".

In NASCAR's case, it's another indication that their powers-that-be don't get it. Evidenced by complaints on this board, people are getting fed up and are turning off. It's already hurting viewership (has been for years) but they keep on repeating these mistakes. Oh well... might end up helping local short track attendance.

FOX thinks people watch their "news" channel because of the hot blondes, not because it's a partisan network that tells a fraction of the country what they want to hear. So, they think putting a bunch of hot blondes all over the place on "The 1" will make people tune in. It's going to backfire.

No, we still have reporters and journalists who get their hands dirty. Local news is one thing, national sports is another.

The astonishing lack of knowledge and unwillingness to gain knowledge wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport. NFL writers are expected to know what's going on in College Football and even High School Football. MLB writers are expected to know what's going on with farm teams. Or, at least people within the organizations that cover those sports are expected to know.

NASCAR? Not just no but hell no. Instead of spending time researching what goes on in the lower leagues and gaining knowledge, they're busy talking about what Brad Keselowski tweeted or speculating what color socks Kasey Kahne wore yesterday. They won't go to the Snowball Derby because there isn't a cushy media center with free food and drinks. Hell, some of them bitched about going to Eldora because their shoes got dirty, or something.

And then, when there is a driver who comes up from short tracks in to NASCAR, they don't make even the slightest attempt to gain any knowledge. If it's not on Racing-Reference or Wikipedia, that driver doesn't exist. Unless they're racing for Hendrick, Roush or Gibbs.

He said what everyone was thinking.

I agree but I just believe that his methods are not sound. Twidiots have the attention span of a ground squirrel and his words will likely be forgotten as soon as the newest mePhone app is released.

Back
Top Bottom