Whats the deal with the long cautions!?

B

Brickyard_400

Is it me or what? It seems when theres a caution towards the last 10-25 laps that caution laps get longer?

When Bill Elliott spun they must have run 10 to 12 laps under yellow. I know they have to have time to pit lead lap and lap down cars but that seemed like an awful long caution for what they had to clean up. Any explainations?

I really wanted Kasey Kahne to win! But also like Elliott Sadler.

I don't think the length of the caution should have anything to do with giving cars time to pit. The caution should be long enough to clean up whatever needs to be cleaned up and no longer. If you can get your pitting done during that time, fine - if not, tough. Everyone would have to play by the same rules, so I don't see how anyone could say it isn't fair. As for lapped cars not getting to pit until the next lap ---- stay on the lead lap and that won't be an issue.

If this were implemented, I am sure it would hurt my driver(s) at one time or another, but I think this is how it should be.

Need a lot of time to show commercials, the rates drop after the checkered flag... ^_^

I'd be willing to bet that the length of the cautions is related to the ongoing OHSA investigation after the death of the track worker at Daytona.

NASCAR is being super safe with the speed of the cars under caution trying to demonstrate to OHSA that they run the series in a safe fashion for the track workers.

And, yes, I know the death wasn't in a NASCAR event, but that doesn't really matter.

TonyB,

I hear you, but I don't understand why the cautions are much shorter at the beginning of the race. At Bristol last week, NASCAR cleaned the track twice in the last 80 laps (give or take a few). I don't think this had anything to do with the issue with the track worker. However, those track cleaning yellows took a LONG time. I believe it cost Rusty the race. Now I am not a big Rusty or Busch fan, but as a fan in the stands (who had travelled from Fort Worth to see the race), I would have rather seen green flag racing than extended yellows.

Just my 2 cents!

Aggiewes

the conspiracy theorist would say that nascar runs extra caution laps if one of the drivers they favor needs a few more caution laps at the end of a race to ensure that they will make it to the end of the race on their tires and fuel. (jeff gordon at Texas). Im not saying that this is what is going on, but it is an interesting thought.

When a company buys commercial time they buy blocks of time. Ex. company "A" buys 5 minutes of commercial time during the broadcast. Usully comercials are 30 sec. long. 5 minutes of commercials is 10-30sec. comercials. If all of the commercials haven't been run towrd the end of the race then Na$car has to extend the yellow flag laps so the TV can get in all the comercials before the end of the race. That's why sometimes you see the same comercial run more than once during the same comercial break.

Originally posted by Tiny@Apr 5 2004, 06:42 PM
That's why sometimes you see the same comercial run more than once during the same comercial break.
I have never seen the same commercial twice in the same commercial run, i have seen it under the same yellow flag though..

I dont think nascar is making the yellow longer for commercials, but hey, you can turn almost anything against nascar if you put your mind to it.. maybe nascar is making 100% that the track is clean and everyone is ready for the restart, and i dont mean their "favorites."

I'm with Tiny........races are not like football, basketball and baseball where you have "Commercial time-outs". And it's a whole better to have the commercials during caution laps than green flag laps. Now, anyone remember when ESPN did the races? Ever hear the race commentator call off a long list of coded numbers and telling them that their commercial would be aired during the next caution or immediately following the race? I do. :) I'm pretty sure the advertisers have shut that loop hole. And at the cost of commercial time for the live races, the people putting up the money don't have much of a sense of humor if they don't get their air time that they forked over huge chunks of change to have..........it's a contractual thing and everyone, including NASCAR has to honor it.

Races that have a fair amount of caution laps spread throughout the race don't suffer from this "phonomenon" as much. The race yesterday and the Bristol race both had long green flag runs............more than the normal. I'm just thankful NASCAR and FOX are working to together so as least we get to see most of the green flag racing. We all want to see the races.......there is a trade off.

Back
Top Bottom