when did alcohol stop becoming a major sponsprship in nascar?

Complaining about Kez celebrating... another example of the fact that most Nascar fans *say* they don't like vanilla, but then criticize every action that is even remotely non-vanilla.

I don't recall reading anything negative about what BKez did at the time and it doesn't seem like anyone is concerned in retrospect.

Like it or not the champion becomes a role model. He's now the face of nascar. With MADD and DUI such a big part of life today I didn't see his actions as positive, especially for kids.
I never saw Sr, Tony, Rusty, DJ etc staggering around after they won.

It seemed like he was half-cut about ten minutes after the race ended.

"Half-cut"...a Canadianism I miss in addition to double double, mickey, stag party, blotto, chesterfield, washroom, serviette, toque, giv-n-er, muskoka chair, eavestrough and many more.

Like it or not the champion becomes a role model. He's now the face of nascar. With MADD and DUI such a big part of life today I didn't see his actions as positive, especially for kids.

In this case it is a good thing that Nascar doesn't have any young fans so no influential people saw BKez under the influence.

I don't recall reading anything negative about what BKez did at the time and it doesn't seem like anyone is concerned in retrospect.
Huh? Multiple comments in this thread, including yours, that he acted inappropriately. Whatever...

There's definitely a bubble around sponsorship $$'s, team budgets and spending, and driver salaries...and it's going to burst shortly.
Looks like SHR, Harvick, the sponsors and FOMOCO didn't get the memo.

Brad is not the face of NASCAR. Dale Jr is and has been for at least the last 10+ years. In fact, from what I've seen Brad was one of the most hated.

He was a 20 something multi millionaire who got drunk celebrating his first championship at the top level of a professional series. If anything, this would make him waaaay more endearing to fellow 20 somethings..... In fact I'm impressed he was able to stand upright and form a coherent sentence.

Sr, Tony, Rusty, DJ didn't have the misfortune of always having media in their face. Once the race was over, that was it. NASCAR is A LOT more personal these days than it has ever been. Some of it for good and some of it for bad.

For example: Back in the day, you knew Dale Sr was married to Teresa, and that he had four kids. Some people knew they were by different women, some didn't. It didn't matter. You either liked him or you didn't and that was almost solely based of his racing style.

Today, we know drivers who have cheated on their wives, what the woman's name is etc., we know the past lives of drivers fiancés', we know where drivers live, we know where they eat and play. I've seen drivers and their family and friends get brutally verbally attacked on social media over the tiniest of things .... I mean stuff that even made me want to cry and I don't even know them.

And before you say 'Well they don't have to put themselves out there'. Kelley and Dale Jr said in interviews that sponsors kept pushing for him to join social media and to interact with fans because it brought more money and awareness to their brands. He didn't do it because he really wanted to. Samantha Busch said that she and Kyle had to work with some of the KBM drivers to help with shyness and social media aversion.

I say all this to make the point, you can't compare what drivers back then did to what drivers today do because the way society works has changed. I'm pretty sure that if Tony or Rusty were in their heyday in the 2010s we'd be hearing A LOT more about their shenanigans. Hell, I still hear about Tony's shenanigans....

Brad is not the face of NASCAR. Dale Jr is and has been for at least the last 10+ years. In fact, from what I've seen Brad was one of the most hated.

He was a 20 something multi millionaire who got drunk celebrating his first championship at the top level of a professional series. If anything, this would make him waaaay more endearing to fellow 20 somethings..... In fact I'm impressed he was able to stand upright and form a coherent sentence.

Sr, Tony, Rusty, DJ didn't have the misfortune of always having media in their face. Once the race was over, that was it. NASCAR is A LOT more personal these days than it has ever been. Some of it for good and some of it for bad.

For example: Back in the day, you knew Dale Sr was married to Teresa, and that he had four kids. Some people knew they were by different women, some didn't. It didn't matter. You either liked him or you didn't and that was almost solely based of his racing style.

Today, we know drivers who have cheated on their wives, what the woman's name is etc., we know the past lives of drivers fiancés', we know where drivers live, we know where they eat and play. I've seen drivers and their family and friends get brutally verbally attacked on social media over the tiniest of things .... I mean stuff that even made me want to cry and I don't even know them.

And before you say 'Well they don't have to put themselves out there'. Kelley and Dale Jr said in interviews that sponsors kept pushing for him to join social media and to interact with fans because it brought more money and awareness to their brands. He didn't do it because he really wanted to. Samantha Busch said that she and Kyle had to work with some of the KBM drivers to help with shyness and social media aversion.

I say all this to make the point, you can't compare what drivers back then did to what drivers today do because the way society works has changed. I'm pretty sure that if Tony or Rusty were in their heyday in the 2010s we'd be hearing A LOT more about their shenanigans. Hell, I still hear about Tony's shenanigans....
You hit the nail on the head, comparing today to back in the day for anything is like comparing apples and a loaf of bread, its really just pointless.

The loss of tobacco and alcohol sponsorship did a lot of damage to motorsports in general.

This pretty much.

What made it even worse is that was the majority of some teams revenue. Heck, Marlboro even had a drivers program at one point...

I think energy drinks and other healthy alternative products are starting to fill some of the voids. Look at Advocate for Roush and Nature's Bakery for SHR. Monster energy for the Busch brothers, NOS for Roush.

It's gone from smoking and tobacco to sugary sweets and energy drinks.

I think with beer still being a major selling point helps. I wonder if NASCAR pays attention to F1 because F1 still has plenty of liquor sponsors. Whyte and Mckay, Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Martini, etc.

Times change along with the likes and dislikes in society and sponsorship reflects that completely.

[QUOTE="Kiante, post: 943893, member: 7684"... Heck, Marlboro even had a drivers program at one point. ... I think with beer still being a major selling point helps. I wonder if NASCAR pays attention to F1 because F1 still has plenty of liquor sponsors. Whyte and Mckay, Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Martini, etc. ...[/QUOTE]
I don't think we can compare what sponsors spent money on 'back in the day' with today's economy. If tobacco was still involved in the sport today, we don't know what programs they would be spending money on. I don't recall the old 'half-way bonus' was ever sponsored by tobacco or alcohol, but it's long gone.

Are we confusing the cause with the effect? Does F1 have more liquor sponsors than NASCAR because it encourages them, or because liquor sponsors perceive F1 fans as a more likely audience for their messaging? Is there a reason to think alcohol companies make better sponsors TODAY just because of what they did twenty years ago? The few sponsoring companies that have been around that long have certainly changed their programs over the years.

Huh? Multiple comments in this thread, including yours, that he acted inappropriately. Whatever...

I didn't see the race or the celebration so IDK what went on but I am surprised the networks, sponsors and owner didn't step in if BKez was slurring his words or stumbling around. I admit I skimmed the thread but it seemed like most people enjoyed what went on while just a couple didn't approve.

Anybody that thinks the Nascar "Stars" in the old day's didn't get drunk and party down after a win or especially winning the championship is delusional. I stayed at the local motels where the drivers and teams stayed and if you don't believe me about their after race antics ask Kenny Schrader. He aint shy, he'll tell it like it is. With the exception of Richard Petty I think they all did.

I know they all partied hard. My point was as the newly crowned champion of nascar, the face for the upcoming year, BK stumbling and slurring his words on TV didn't show Nascar in a favorable light.

No pleasing everyone I guess.

I'm hard pressed to remember the public outcry over Kes's 2014 Championship Victory celebration. I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. Now, if that had been taking place during MW's Grid walk..... Well, that would be a different story altogether.

Looks like SHR, Harvick, the sponsors and FOMOCO didn't get the memo.

Exception to the rule. Harvick is the most business savvy driver in the sport. Most other big salary guys are hanging on for dear life. 20 car will be the most interesting thing to watch with Dollar General leaving. Same with Clint's 14 ride. I'm not sure there's one sponsor signed for next season yet (he'll be making peanuts there). Newman & Truex & Kahne should all be worried. And Denny is a new CEO at Fedex away from being a local golf pro. Bubble is definitely bursting. And most believe for the better.

Anybody that thinks the Nascar "Stars" in the old day's didn't get drunk and party down after a win or especially winning the championship is delusional. I stayed at the local motels where the drivers and teams stayed and if you don't believe me about their after race antics ask Kenny Schrader. He aint shy, he'll tell it like it is. With the exception of Richard Petty I think they all did.

I am sure a some of the old timers started some races legally drunk due to the partying that went on the night before races.

No pleasing everyone I guess.

I'm hard pressed to remember the public outcry over Kes's 2014 Championship Victory celebration. I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. Now, if that had been taking place during MW's Grid walk..... Well, that would be a different story altogether.

I didn't see or read anything about the celebration in the days afterward so I can only come to the conclusion it wasn't something that the majority got mad about or thought inappropriate.

"like how they kille dthe tobacco sponsorship"
Not sure who the "they" are you're referring to. But in any case, tobacco sponsorship didn't die due to the actions of any one entity. Like most things in life, it was complicated.

Realize that RJ Reynolds Tobacco got into NASCAR sponsorship because of Federal restrictions on its advertising. So NASCAR benefitted (and Reynolds in turn) by the Fed decrees.

But Reynolds pulled out of NASCAR largely due to several circumstances: they had a cash flow squeeze due to merger / executives cashing out / tobacco lawsuit awards, the Feds were putting more heat on them about their "incidental advertising" getting around the ban (by being the sponsor their name and logo were mentioned and displayed during broadcasts and in media coverage), the death of T. Wayne Robertson who was followed by a revolving committee of PR folks who were not so smitten by racing, shrinking income from a shrinking customer base, and by NASCAR's increasing fees. When Reynolds asked for an early out, NASCAR had to scramble to find a successor (Nextel, later bought by Sprint) – who has not elevated NASCAR as much as Reynolds had. Interestingly, Budweiser was on the short list to replace Reynolds back then but declined, and now that’s happening again as NASCAR searches to replace Sprint.

Also interesting is that the new E-cigarette industry is not jumping onto the NASCAR bandwagon. E-cigarettes are popular with the young demographic that NASCAR courts, and E-cigarettes are facing advertising restrictions similar to tobacco. I do know via my tobacco road contacts that Reynolds is waiting to see how the upcoming advertising restrictions play out, and that it is concerned about return-on-investment (due to NASCAR’s shrinking crowds and TV ratings).

Advertisers have to be careful as Nascar skews to an older demographic and they are less likely to switch brands especially beer. I have never seen a Budweiser man switch to Miller or Miller Lite or a Coors Lite drinker to Bud Lite. I read some stats from AB-InBev that showed close to 50% of people between ages 21-27 had never even tasted Budweiser.

I am not a beer snob as a person should drink what they like but more and more people are liking craft beers and the big breweries are buying up as many of them as they can.

Dale's Pale Ale is the primary sponsor on Regan Smith's car for 3 Xfinity races this year. They're currently the only craft brewery in NASCAR but I wonder if we'll see more.

I got a Kyle Petty hat (with pony tail attached ) from some Coors Light girls in a bar ar Daytona . Don't know where the hat is , but those girls were great and I still like the beer .

That is hilarious. I would pay top dollar for that hat. No lie. Msg me plzz

I grew up 15 miles from Yuengling so I'm pretty much rooting for whoever is in that car. One side of my family may be responsible for a 3rd shift at that brewery.

I grew up 5mins(port carbon) from the Yuengling brewery AND currently work 3rd shift at the brewery.
Idk if I have a Bob in the family. But small world indeed!

Reactions: Bob
That is hilarious. I would pay top dollar for that hat. No lie. Msg me plzz
Haven't seen it for years LOL , think I leant it to the grandkids as a halloween costume . If I come accross it , you can have it .

Remember when NASCAR explored the possibility of holding a sprint cup race in the Pacific northwest?

Seattle announced they wanted nothing to do with all those beer-guzzling redneck nascar fans.

screwedbygoogle
original username modified by google

Back
Top Bottom