Where would you build your new track?

LouieLouie

Team Owner
Ok so let's make this a little realistic, nobody wants to hear North Wilkesboro or Rockingham resurrected. Those two tracks obviously aren't in locations that help grow the sport or provide a lot of revenue. So be sure to pick a city that is realistic.

1. What would your new track configuration look like?
2. Where would you build it?
3. What would your yearly theme be?

1. I would build a replica of Rockingham but only .8 miles long that is fully up to date, i.e. safer barriers, plenty of parking, wifi, etc.
2. I would build it outside of Denver because they have been supporting Furniture Row very well.
3. I would have the mile high type theme and make sure Coors was a big sponsor. Bring back the Silver Bullet!

1. My next track, would be a half mile dirt tri-oval.
2. I would build it outside of Seattle because the dirt could dry up any rain faster than racing on pavement.
3. I would make it a mud theme of some kind. Come get muddy at the base of Mount Rainer or something like that.

coca-cola.jpg

Someone should build Coca-Cola Speedway from Nascar Racing 2003. That place was awesome!

No need to build a new track for me, just run the Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas. Always room for another road course as far as I'm concerned.

A Cup level dirt track would be awesome, but the logistics may kill that. Only way I see that working is if NASCAR puts together a real restrictive rules package that would force teams to use existing chassis with minor changes (changes =$$$).

Or make them run go carts!

Memphis, Little Rock, and Denver seem to be reasonable distances from existing tracks.

Take Darlington's egg shape. Drop it to 1 mile. Copy the front stretch dogleg from Rockingham and paste it on the back, like Phoenix but without the unintended shortcut.

Rebuild Speedyway USA in Lakeland and bring the TOUR Cars back here.

It was awesome when It was called the Hooters Pro Cup Series, sadly it was shut down and demloshed into a parking lot by 2009.

1. I would build a replica of Rockingham but only .8 miles long that is fully up to date, i.e. safer barriers, plenty of parking, wifi, etc.
2. I would build it outside of Denver because they have been supporting Furniture Row very well.
3. I would have the mile high type theme and make sure Coors was a big sponsor. Bring back the Silver Bullet!

Co-signed.

Seriously, that is perfect :cheers:

Staten island may work with subway travel, are there still rumors to that track

I think Denver needs a track. I would build a 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 mile high banked version of Pocono.

I would build a high-banked short track very similar to "old" Bristol, but it would be slightly egg shaped like Darlington (but with turns 1 and 2 being the tighter end of the track). So basically a Bristol clone but with a longer/faster layout through 3 and 4. If that makes any sense.

Location? Delaware, Ohio. It's just 30 miles north of downtown Columbus but somewhat out in the country, so there is easy access from several major highways and plenty of room to build it. There are a ton of hotels/restaurants/etc in the northern Columbus suburbs (which are all very nice cities). Lots of good attractions in the area as well. Oh, and Mid Ohio Raceway would only be 45 minutes away.

I'd like to see a replica of the old Atlanta track. Build it to whoever is the highest bidder.

That was exactly what I wanted too as it was a great track before it was cookie cuttered. There is plenty of mourning for the Rock and Wilkesboro, and justifiably so, but very few people seem to remember the old Atlanta or didn't like it to begin with. After it was cutterised the entire feel of the place changed for the worse, IMO.

If I could I would put the track back in Atlanta and have 2 dates including the season ender and I would turn Homestead into a bombing range or something. If I was not allowed to have the track back in Atlanta I would put it in Myrtle Beach or Columbia.

... and I would turn Homestead into a bombing range or something. ... If I was not allowed to have the track back in Atlanta I would put it in Myrtle Beach or Columbia.
Wildlife refuge. Let the Everglades have it back.

Myrtle Beach is probably too close to Darlington, and the property values may be too high for a facility that will only be used once a year.

Columbia? South Carolina? This town won't support anything that isn't associated directly with the U. of South Carolina. Even then, they're more interested in the tailgate than the game, with a reputation for getting up at the half. The university's athletic department has run single-A baseball and hockey teams out of its facilities in the past, afraid of competition for fans. A new baseball team is giving it a try in a city-funded facility. We'll see how it does, but this just isn't a sports town. Next to the university, the dominant bumper stickers are for the Steelers.

Try Columbia, Missouri instead. Or Colombia.

That was exactly what I wanted too as it was a great track before it was cookie cuttered. There is plenty of mourning for the Rock and Wilkesboro, and justifiably so, but very few people seem to remember the old Atlanta or didn't like it to begin with. After it was cutterised the entire feel of the place changed for the worse, IMO.

If I could I would put the track back in Atlanta and have 2 dates including the season ender and I would turn Homestead into a bombing range or something. If I was not allowed to have the track back in Atlanta I would put it in Myrtle Beach or Columbia.

Best idea yet.

I miss the old Atlanta greatly! I always thought it was the perfect track for a season finale.

Was the last race at the old configuration when Grissom had that crazy accident on the backstretch?

Rebuild Speedyway USA in Lakeland and bring the TOUR Cars back here.

It was awesome when It was called the Hooters Pro Cup Series, sadly it was shut down and demloshed into a parking lot by 2009.
Can still run it on iracing

I'm still waiting for my theoretical race track design that has the banking turned towards the outside but still turns left. Can be built wherever

Staten island may work with subway travel, are there still rumors to that track

The dream died over a decade ago.

Does anyone know what ended up happening? It seemed around 2000 that track was almost a done deal. Most people around here, Northeastern PA, thought Pocono was doomed. However, the talks just seemed to die by 2003-2004 despite the sports popularity still peaking at that time.

Somewhere in the Vancouver, B.C. / Seattle, Wash. / Portland, Ore. corridor.

There are a lot of race fans in the Northwest.

Oh ... the track. Right. A purpose-built road course that could partly sustain itself by running SCCA, Vintage and other events, schools, corporate outings and so on.

A short track with like 45 degree banking, but like Dover where you dive down into the turn

The dream died over a decade ago.

Does anyone know what ended up happening? It seemed around 2000 that track was almost a done deal. Most people around here, Northeastern PA, thought Pocono was doomed. However, the talks just seemed to die by 2003-2004 despite the sports popularity still peaking at that time.

It's probably a good thing that track didn't get built, maybe one of the more fortunate things to happen to NASCAR. The northeast is saturated with races, just look at the attendance at dover, Loudon and Pocono. Plus, there are pretty much no place in this country with demographics more out of sync with NASCAR than NYC. Seriously what were they thinking? Nowadays New Yorkers are the type that spend 6 grand a month for a shack to live in and whatever they have left over they spend on artisan bicycles. Oh and they don't drive cars, which is kind of a problem when the product you're selling is car culture. That track would have gone down faster than a lead balloon.For some of the same reasons I'd be very hesitant to put a track anywhere near Portland or Seattle, unless the racing culture up there really is that strong.

Ok so let's make this a little realistic, nobody wants to hear North Wilkesboro or Rockingham resurrected. Those two tracks obviously aren't in locations that help grow the sport or provide a lot of revenue. So be sure to pick a city that is realistic.

1. What would your new track configuration look like?
2. Where would you build it?
3. What would your yearly theme be?

1. Quarter Mile, can be dirt or paved track I wouldn't mind either way.
2. Oregon or Washington. There isn't many tracks in that area of the country.
3. I wouldn't mind having something like the cup cars did a long time ago when there was like 6 or 7 coke and pepsi cars in the same race or the looney toons race.

For some of the same reasons I'd be very hesitant to put a track anywhere near Portland or Seattle, unless the racing culture up there really is that strong.

It is.

I'd build a half mile track under a dome near Seattle. That track would either be similar to Winchester, Rougemont or Carteret.
There are definitely a lot of racing fans in the northwest. We race at a drag racing national event there every year and the place is usually packed. We just raced there 3 weeks ago and the the fan turnout was pretty good even though there was rain in the forecast on Sunday that actually caused the final rounds to be postponed for two weeks until the Brainerd MN race. I really like the idea of building it in a dome because there is a lot of rain up there.

I think Minnesota might draw a pretty good crowd. Fans could attend a race and take a little relaxation vacation at one of the many lake resorts in Minnesota.

I miss the old Atlanta greatly! I always thought it was the perfect track for a season finale.

Was the last race at the old configuration when Grissom had that crazy accident on the backstretch?

I can remember the wreck but I can't remember the year. I think AMS reconfigured in 1997 after the first race.

My concern with the Northwest is inclement weather as when you factor in the distance from Charlotte and the potential for rain it could be problematic. I have spent many a rainy day in Portland.

My concern with the Northwest is inclement weather as when you factor in the distance from Charlotte and the potential for rain it could be problematic. I have spent many a rainy day in Portland.
But ... but ... but rain tarz. :D

You're correct, of course. Scheduling would be key but this is a fantasy thread after all. Methinks the effects of climate changes are being felt already.

Back
Top Bottom