Where's today's hate the Chase thread?

I finally have come to the conclusion that if they all play by the same rules, I do not give sh!t what point system is in place.

Now let's get those 43 Bad Ass cars and drivers lined up and start a freaking race ! :D

Hell yea!! I like this kind of attitude!!

Reactions: sdj
I'd rather see the initial field start at 12 and then go 9-6-3, but I get that it would take away the similarity to the NCAA Tournament. It would place a greater premium on the regular season though.
Cutting it to 12 would also affect the "win and you're in" aspect. Chances are slim that there will be 17+ different winners in the first 26 races, but 13+ happens a lot. So you'd pretty much have to win twice to be locked in.

Let's pretend that drivers don't always race hard, and don't take risks when they are points racing. The "win and you're in" system in place is flawed. Once you win one, what's the incentive to continue racing hard up until the Chase?

I will always think the one race champion Homestead Cup is a ridiculous gimmick, but there's no doubt in my mind it's here to stay and we all have to live with it. So keep the "racing playoff" format how it is, but why don't they reward drivers that keep racing hard for multiple wins? I can tolerate resetting the points after each elimination round, but "regular season" wins should count as bonus points towards the first round of the Chase. Who would possibly be against it? NASCAR has no excuse not to do it, do they?

Let's pretend that drivers don't always race hard, and don't take risks when they are points racing. The "win and you're in" system in place is flawed. Once you win one, what's the incentive to continue racing hard up until the Chase?

Name one driver who after he got his win, coasted for the rest of the regular season, just one.

So keep the "racing playoff" format how it is, but why don't they reward drivers that keep racing hard for multiple wins? I can tolerate resetting the points after each elimination round, but "regular season" wins should count as bonus points towards the first round of the Chase. Who would possibly be against it? NASCAR has no excuse not to do it, do they?
They do reward drivers with 'bonus points' based off of regular season wins in the first round of the Chase.

I'll say what I said in The Podium. People are allowed to hate one points system and like another. See, you all love the old points system and hate the playoff. I love the playoff and hate the old Chase format. There's really no difference. But my opinion differs from yours, so, instead of debating the merits of my opinion, you and Chex have to go dig up posts from two years ago (which aren't actually relevant to the discussion at hand since the playoff didn't exist two years ago) to try to discredit me instead.

Unlike you guys, I have an open mind. Watching the entire 2014 season, my open mind saw the best racing I've ever seen in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series since I started watching. My open mind saw an excellent championship battle. My open mind saw a regular season where drivers were fighting and clawing for wins instead of riding around having "a good points day". My open mind saw drivers pissed off because they didn't win and may have missed an opportunity to be in the postseason. My open mind saw drivers pushing it a little harder, trying to get a little bit more. The racing's better than it has been in years, even at the brobdingnagians, and the new playoff is the reason for it. So, because of that, my open mind likes NASCAR's playoffs.

By the way, how's the internet working back in 2003?

You are laugable. And I dont mean that to be insulting but you lend yourself to be made fun of by how you just say things one day and the total oposite the next.

First of all, let's dispense with the fact your opinion differs from mine or others. At some point it didn't. You were just fine and dandy (Even happy to do so) bashing and trashing the chase and anything NASCAR put out. That was the point of those posts. I see no difference from last year's chase to this year's. They were both "playoffs" and they both resetted after 26 races.

I'm not even going to argue the "There wasn't a playoffs two years ago." bit. That's just entering troll baiting stuff and I'm smarter than you to fall for it.

Also not going to go on a back and forth with you about open mindedness. it has a grander meaning than simply liking or disliking something. You dont even know what being open minded is apparently. Just because you decided to like this chase format doesn't mean you have an open mind and I dont.

Like I said, that subject is for another thread at the podium.

Back to the post at hand..

The chase didn't have anything to do with how these race cars raced. It barely had something to do with how the drivers approached and attacked a race. There is a difference there.

The racing being so good had all to do with how up to par the racing package for this season was. Races were closer, much entertaining than ever before because the package allowed it to be. The drivers didn't just magically get better or faster because they saw the chase and thought hell yeah I'm faster now because of the chase. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Oh and let's not forget the double file restarts. Let's not give credit to that as well all at once guys. :rolleyes:

The racing package+double file restart make the racing good, not the chase.

That coming from a guy that doesn't even like double file restarts either. But I can see and appreciate it because it has made for a hell of entertaining restarts.

Was that suppose to be a insult about 2003 internet? I dont get it.

I couldn't respond earlier because you know..I work for a living and I was kinda busy.

Cutting it to 12 would also affect the "win and you're in" aspect. Chances are slim that there will be 17+ different winners in the first 26 races, but 13+ happens a lot. So you'd pretty much have to win twice to be locked in.
Exactly. I don't think there's ever been 17+ winners in the first 26 races of the season, and the record for the season as a whole is still only 19 winners back in 2001 when the series was as competitive as it will ever be. Even if you win a rain-shortened restrictor plate you at least have to be competitive enough to earn points everywhere else.

Those bonus points should carry over beyond Dover. I can't figure out for the life of me why they're good for the first round only.
One of the other couple of things I would change. Carry them through the third round and keep Homestead as a head-to-head competition.

Pretty sure I could make an "I love the chase" thread and it would still end up a chase hate thread.

Racing purists can't be happy with good racing. Points have to be "season long" where the championship's over by the time we get to Indianapolis and the races have to be 500 miles uninterrupted. And anyone who likes the current product has to be berated.

All I can say is "It is, what it is." Love it, hate it, or don't pay any attention to it --- your call.

Me, I'm just going to enjoy each race and let others chase their tails about the Chase.

Sounds like most everyone is getting, or has, cabin fever. Bring on a race!

Racing purists can't be happy with good racing. Points have to be "season long" where the championship's over by the time we get to Indianapolis and the races have to be 500 miles uninterrupted. And anyone who likes the current product has to be berated.

You speak of berating while using ridiculous over the top assumptions to proactively berate those who would dare disagree . A very convenient way to shut off addressing the misrepresentations.

The points were never over with by Indianapolis.

A schedule has never consisted of purely 500 mile events, and the only complaints I have read is with wanting to fit a TV prescribed time block, or reducing current 500 mile races.

Nobody has insisted that you invest the time to watch the full distance, you can even DVR and watch only the last hour. As one that likes to think of himself as a purist that seems to be a better way.

Better than reducing the event to accommodate a phantom market, as in attracting more casual new fans. Which does impose it's will on those who were already happy and would suffer the loss of laps.

The assumption that the purist or those opposed to the eliminations do not like good racing is bull****.

I tried not to berate, but there was no other way to address your false accusations. I only address the falsehoods presented point by point, nothing personal.

In 1974 Cale Yarborough won 10 races and lost the championship by almost 600 points.

That seems odd to me.

In 1974 Cale Yarborough won 10 races and lost the championship by almost 600 points.

That seems odd to me.

Richard Petty won the Championship and had 10 wins himself. Lol.

And the points difference equates to about 3 complete races. Not TOO crazy.

There were only 30 races. :)

Was Riverside not included?

No, it was. I haven't seen each races respective results... But from what I can tell Cale just didn't have the consistency of the 43.

No, it was. I haven't seen each races respective results... But from what I can tell Cale just didn't have the consistency of the 43.
so Winning races AND Consistency matter?
Maybe not so bad after all...but almost 600 pts.....??!!

Cale won three in a row later on, but the thing the stats do not explain is his driving style..

Wide open flat footed all or nothing, , if he had a two second lead, he wanted three.
He broke a lot of Junior Johnson cars in 1974. His uncompromising style raised alot of questions. I remember my dad thought he was a nut job that would run Junior in the ground or out of business.

But it worked out, eventually Junior built some cars that didn't give up, and Cale won three titles consecutively shortly afterwards. Unprecedented at the time.

so Winning races AND Consistency matter?
Maybe not so bad after all...but almost 600 pts.....??!!

It used to matter, before they neutered the championship and made none of it matter. ;) lol

They were able to obtain almost 200 points a race. 3 or 4 dnf's could have made a huge difference.

glad ta see so many new converts for '14 chase format now ! :D

all you fellers ain't gotta sit on tha rear pew by tha back door tho.
ya'll can come on up front w/ tha rest of us charter believers ! ;)

'15 gonna be even better !

I was never a fan of the chase but last year's version where you have Hamlin and Newman in contention for the cup is an abomination. Still if the majority of fans like it and it attracts new and younger fans it is the right thing to do.

I was never a fan of the chase but last year's version where you have Hamlin and Newman in contention for the cup is an abomination. Still if the majority of fans like it and it attracts new and younger fans it is the right thing to do.
Only it doesn't seem the majority of fans do like it. Despite all the "excitement" and "drama", last year's was the 2nd lowest rated chase in its 11 year history (2012's chase ratings were slightly lower). Without the fights at Charlotte and Texas, it probably wouldn't have even done that good. I think a lot of fans saw the 2014 changes to the chase as NASCAR's Jump The Shark moment.

I'm predicting a tank in attendance and ratings for 2015.
Im predicting a spike because fans want to see Gordon before he leaves. And then chase fans will blame the points system for higher ratings & attendance.

All I can say is "It is, what it is." Love it, hate it, or don't pay any attention to it --- your call.

Me, I'm just going to enjoy each race and let others chase their tails about the Chase.

Sounds like most everyone is getting, or has, cabin fever. Bring on a race!

This will be my approach. It will be a lot less stressful watching a race for what it is, entertainment purposes.

With Gordon removed from the equation, I could give 2 craps about who gets in and who wins the championship or how.

You speak of berating while using ridiculous over the top assumptions to proactively berate those who would dare disagree . A very convenient way to shut off addressing the misrepresentations.

The points were never over with by Indianapolis.

A schedule has never consisted of purely 500 mile events, and the only complaints I have read is with wanting to fit a TV prescribed time block, or reducing current 500 mile races.

Nobody has insisted that you invest the time to watch the full distance, you can even DVR and watch only the last hour. As one that likes to think of himself as a purist that seems to be a better way.

Better than reducing the event to accommodate a phantom market, as in attracting more casual new fans. Which does impose it's will on those who were already happy and would suffer the loss of laps.

The assumption that the purist or those opposed to the eliminations do not like good racing is bull****.

I tried not to berate, but there was no other way to address your false accusations. I only address the falsehoods presented point by point, nothing personal.

Damnnnnnn.

Im predicting a spike because fans want to see Gordon before he leaves. And then chase fans will blame the points system for higher ratings & attendance.
Gordon retiring should help, he has a lot of fans who will be watching his farewell tour. But as you say, I'm sure any spike in ratings will be attributed to the new format by the pro-chasers.

Only it doesn't seem the majority of fans do like it. Despite all the "excitement" and "drama", last year's was the 2nd lowest rated chase in its 11 year history (2012's chase ratings were slightly lower). Without the fights at Charlotte and Texas, it probably wouldn't have even done that good. I think a lot of fans saw the 2014 changes to the chase as NASCAR's Jump The Shark moment.

I'm predicting a tank in attendance and ratings for 2015.

You know, I once read somewhere how the guys who started the IndyCar racing series way way way back in the early 20th century thought that Bill France Sr.'s idea of stock car racing was silly and that it would never take off. Seems like even in it's early days, people have been all doom and gloom about NASCAR. :rolleyes:

You know, I once read somewhere how the guys who started the IndyCar racing series way way way back in the early 20th century thought that Bill France Sr.'s idea of stock car racing was silly and that it would never take off. Seems like even in it's early days, people have been all doom and gloom about NASCAR. :rolleyes:
Not saying NASCAR is going anywhere, but this chase format might if things don't improve in the next couple years. We know Brian has no problem changing it.

too bad fox & nbc execs were in tha dark on all that.
guess those idiots signed a " jump the shark 10 yr $ 8.2 billion contract " ? :oops:.................:D

too bad fox & nbc execs were in tha dark on all that.
guess those idiots signed a " jump the shark 10 yr $ 8.2 billion contract " ? :oops:.................:D
FWIW, they signed their contracs several months before this chase format was announced. I'm not sure how much they knew about a possible format change, but I don't think they'll be too happy if the ratings keep declining.

FWIW, they signed their contracs several months before this chase format was announced. I'm not sure how much they knew about a possible format change, but I don't think they'll be too happy if the ratings keep declining.

fwiw.......fox / nbc ' 10 yr contracts prolly needed 10 yr biz plan from nascar too .
so yeah ...they knew of new format ....... prolly helped formulate it.
performance clauses included.

as they monetize new mobile markets ......old tv ratings won't be a good reference anyway.

Obviously Fox Sports can give a chit about NASCAR, they have preempted so many NASCAR events that I have tried to watch with meaningless no name college games, preseason NFL games, Barrett Jackson Car Auctions, and just recently a stupid soccer game that I am just sick of it. FS1 stands for FOX SUCKS #1

Back
Top Bottom