Don't shoot the messenger

David has done a wonderful job keeping this alive. There's been a ton of moving parts. JGR has wanted one thing, then said another...Barney Visser has wanted one thing, then said another...Toyota has wanted one thing, then said another...sponsors are all pretty much tied to specific drivers at this point (it's not like they can just freely move money & logos around between different cars) - it really has been difficult...probably more so than it should have been. David has been the glue that has kept all these parts from breaking off. EVERYONE involved wants it to happen. The process has worn out many.

I have tremendous respect for David. As a long time TRD man, he cares deeply about his company and Toyota. He will have many signatures on his tenure as President, but I think one of the most significant will be his willingness to become involved in retaining talent for Toyota teams. David has had tremendous vision, and now Toyota is viewed as the model for developing talent. I appreciate your post, and best of luck moving forward. I absolutely love having Furniture Row in the Toyota family, and I am looking forward to watching it grow.

Have you guys ever seen a fan wearing a Jeffrey Earnhardt shirt? Yeah, me neither.

His name is Earnhardt. If he were any good, he would be driving something a little better than the 32 car for Frank Stoddard. I really don't see any Dale Jr fans flocking to Jeffrey once Jr retires. If Dale Jr isn't a fan of Jeffrey, why would any of Jr's fans become fans of Jeffrey?

Have you guys ever seen a fan wearing a Jeffrey Earnhardt shirt? Yeah, me neither.

His name is Earnhardt. If he were any good, he would be driving something a little better than the 32 car for Frank Stoddard. I really don't see any Dale Jr fans flocking to Jeffrey once Jr retires. If Dale Jr isn't a fan of Jeffrey, why would any of Jr's fans become fans of Jeffrey?

No, I haven't. Of course, they don't have any JE shirts available.

Don't know where you get this hate for Jeffrey . What can you tell us about him that we should know ? I don't think Dale Jr . dislikes him at all . He and Kellie have put him in their cars in the past , I believe . What am I missing ? He's not a top ten driver , I get that .

Misandrist!
Right @ted@economy !?

Don't know where you get this hate for Jeffrey . What can you tell us about him that we should know ? I don't think Dale Jr . dislikes him at all . He and Kellie have put him in their cars in the past , I believe . What am I missing ? He's not a top ten driver , I get that .

No hate, just calling it like I see it. Dale has said Jeffrey didn't take racing seriously and that Jeffrey thought he could get by just on his name. Which is why it took Dale a long time before he ever agreed to give Jeffrey a shot in one of his cars. And how long did that last?

Kerry Earnhardt was also a big souvenir Seller so I understand all the big hopes here for Jeffery......

Was at Loudon all weekend. Here's some scuttle that was floating around the garage. THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS, but rather things I heard from multiple people, so don't bother debating me on any of it. I have my personal opinions on all three, but I'll keep 'em to myself ;)

1) Dale Jr will (eventually) retire because of the concussion risk. It might not be today, or even this season...but when he retires, it will likely be sudden, and this will be why. While his concussion symptoms are very real (this isn't some ploy), it does provide him a very nice, neat, easy way to say goodbye. No guilt, no fanfare, no victory tour, no pressure from NASCAR, no one second guessing him or upset by his decision...just a sudden, emotional press conference, and that's that...which, quite frankly, Dale would prefer. Just rip off the band-aid and be done with it. This is the perfect "out."

2) There is a very real possibility of Paul Menard and the Menards sponsorship going to Penske next season. Three car team. Paul will drive for another season or two, then retire...Ryan Blaney will pick up the sponsorship moving forward. Will it happen? Who knows. But, talks have happened, and it's a real possibility. (Remember, the two have an Indy relationship).

3) Cole Pearn has apparently been trying to recruit people to Denver. A second FRR car looks like it might be pretty close to happening. Most assume for Erik Jones. I heard a few specifics about the possible sponsors, but would rather not disclose.

Is RCR prepared to stay at 3 cars if they lose the Menard's sponsorship? I was under the assumption they were trying to get back up to 4 cars, but that would seem quite difficult in this scenario.

Is RCR prepared to stay at 3 cars if they lose the Menard's sponsorship? I was under the assumption they were trying to get back up to 4 cars, but that would seem quite difficult in this scenario.

No way they could I would imagine they could get Yuengling, Bass Pro and an assortment of Sponsors for Ty. What happens to Brandon Jones if they have to move all their sponsors to Cup just to get the Dillon boys on track? If Gaughan retires and Menards leaves their Xfinity program could vanish...

I think once they move Ty to cup they will shut down their xfinity series racing.
I also think their cup series will be 2 cars and only a 3rd team if they can keep Menard.

Yeah I mean when you think about it, they have nobody else to develope once Ty gets to Cup. Richard doesn't care about anybody else besides his grandkids as evidenced by the way he turned on Harvick once those kids were making a splash into the top 3 series.

Yeah I mean when you think about it, they have nobody else to develope once Ty gets to Cup. Richard doesn't care about anybody else besides his grandkids as evidenced by the way he turned on Harvick once those kids were making a splash into the top 3 series.

Brandon Jones and Kaz Grala... I think.

Rumors have been going around that Childress has been I. Talks with John Hunter Nemechek as well.

Honestly, I hope not.

I think Richard is all about helping his grandkids, nothing wrong with that, but JHN is still lacking the most important thing.

A sponsor and I don't know how the hell no one has sponsored him yet.

Well, RCR and HMS are probably the biggest possible poachers for him. Jr even said he wants him at JRM, but like Josh Berry they lack the money needed.

Honestly, I hope not.

I think Richard is all about helping his grandkids, nothing wrong with that, but JHN is still lacking the most important thing.

A sponsor and I don't know how the hell no one has sponsored him yet.

Well, RCR and HMS are probably the biggest possible poachers for him. Jr even said he wants him at JRM, but like Josh Berry they lack the money needed.
I see what you are saying, I don't necessarily agree though. Childress is a racer. He has room for more than two. He has put a lot into Brandon Jones. He is trying to keep Newman and Menard for now. I doubt he will go down to two teams. He will have room for JHN. Who else does?

I see what you are saying, I don't necessarily agree though. Childress is a racer. He has room for more than two. He has put a lot into Brandon Jones. He is trying to keep Newman and Menard for now. I doubt he will go down to two teams. He will have room for JHN. Who else does?

I disagree with you on Newman, I think Newman will be shown the door come November. Ty to the 31 seems very likely.

Does Brandon Jones have money to bring to Cup?

I was thinking about this.

When Dale Jr hangs it up for good, will we see Jeffrey Earnhardt suddenly become the most popular driver in Nascar? The Earnhardt fan base is by far the largest in the sport, and I don't see them abandoning the family name as long as there is a driver out there with it.
I've been an Earnhardt fan literally since I started watching the sport. And there is no way in he'll I would jump behind Jeffery Earnhardt just because of his name.

I disagree with you on Newman, I think Newman will be shown the door come November. Ty to the 31 seems very likely.

Does Brandon Jones have money to bring to Cup?

He has Menard money???
Sounds like CAT wants Newman only?

I read it the same way . That`s not to say that if they can`t find a sponsor for Ty , RC might go to CAT and do some major arm twisting .

It really has to be tough for Childress to be in this position to have 2 out of your 3 drivers contracts up and to have your grandson ready to move to cup.. not saying I wouldn't rather deal with these problems in my career than what I do but still it has to be stressful

Was at Loudon all weekend. Here's some scuttle that was floating around the garage. THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS, but rather things I heard from multiple people, so don't bother debating me on any of it. I have my personal opinions on all three, but I'll keep 'em to myself ;)

1) Dale Jr will (eventually) retire because of the concussion risk. It might not be today, or even this season...but when he retires, it will likely be sudden, and this will be why. While his concussion symptoms are very real (this isn't some ploy), it does provide him a very nice, neat, easy way to say goodbye. No guilt, no fanfare, no victory tour, no pressure from NASCAR, no one second guessing him or upset by his decision...just a sudden, emotional press conference, and that's that...which, quite frankly, Dale would prefer. Just rip off the band-aid and be done with it. This is the perfect "out."

2) There is a very real possibility of Paul Menard and the Menards sponsorship going to Penske next season. Three car team. Paul will drive for another season or two, then retire...Ryan Blaney will pick up the sponsorship moving forward. Will it happen? Who knows. But, talks have happened, and it's a real possibility. (Remember, the two have an Indy relationship).

3) Cole Pearn has apparently been trying to recruit people to Denver. A second FRR car looks like it might be pretty close to happening. Most assume for Erik Jones. I heard a few specifics about the possible sponsors, but would rather not disclose.

This is being confirmed on Raceday this morning. They also talked about 3-Hour Energy as a potential sponsor. Nice work Allenbaba!

A driver ? A sponsor ? No team yet ? The most important part is yet to come .

• Second Furniture Row team next year with Erik Jones?Fox Sports' Kaitlyn Vincie reported on NASCAR Race Day Sunday morning that Furniture Row Racing is close to adding a second team next year. She says she spoke with Furniture Row Racing General Manager Joe Garone and he said the pieces were coming together but nothing is confirmed. Regarding speculation that Erik Jones would be the driver, he said Jones would be a good fit for the team but nothing is finalized. The second team would be headquartered in Denver, Colorado with the #78 team of Martin Truex, Jr.(7-31-2016)

• Second Furniture Row team next year with Erik Jones?Fox Sports' Kaitlyn Vincie reported on NASCAR Race Day Sunday morning that Furniture Row Racing is close to adding a second team next year. She says she spoke with Furniture Row Racing General Manager Joe Garone and he said the pieces were coming together but nothing is confirmed. Regarding speculation that Erik Jones would be the driver, he said Jones would be a good fit for the team but nothing is finalized. The second team would be headquartered in Denver, Colorado with the #78 team of Martin Truex, Jr.(7-31-2016)
#77 would be cool, hopefully they go with that.

I haven't really noticed that. He did pick up some bandwagon fans, but every team or athlete that wins a title gets their fair share of those for the year after they win.

Loved is strong. I guess not hated like he was before. Don't hear the boos you used to.

Jayski saying that Suarez may be the driver. Taking too big of a chance of letting Jones get away.
No, Sporting News is saying 'Suarez is also an option'. That's just their way of covering all bases. It's Jones; take that to the bank.

the reason suarez is an option is because he brings sponsorship with him. kinda like the mexican version of paul menard.

No, Sporting News is saying 'Suarez is also an option'. That's just their way of covering all bases. It's Jones; take that to the bank.

So then it's all but assured of Suarez to the 20 then once Matt retires.

the reason suarez is an option is because he brings sponsorship with him. kinda like the mexican version of paul menard.
That is a cheap shot and it is not a valid comparison, not even close. Menard has sponsorship because he is the son of a wealthy man. Suarez has sponsorship because he earned it by his talent, his accomplishments on the track, and his potential to advance further up the ladder. A better comparison would be Suarez to Erik Jones. Jones attracted Toyota financial backing in exactly the same way Suarez attracted Telmex backing. Both Jones and Suarez have no family wealth, no connections, just an ability to race proven on track.

No way in hell that seat is for Suarez. He will be the third car at FRR a couple of years down the line IMO. Erik Jones is NASCAR's prized possession--not just Toyota's.

No way in hell that seat is for Suarez. He will be the third car at FRR a couple of years down the line IMO. Erik Jones is NASCAR's prized possession--not just Toyota's.

I doubt FRR will go to 3 cars any time soon. The next Toyota spot to open up will be the 20 for sure. It depends on timing to see who will fill it. If Matt retires after next year that spot is Suarez's no doubt. He'd be the most accomplished 'yoda development driver at that point. However if Matt sticks around another 2-3 years and William Byron continues his tear in the trucks and xfinity series then some hard decisions have to be made.

I doubt FRR will go to 3 cars any time soon. The next Toyota spot to open up will be the 20 for sure. It depends on timing to see who will fill it. If Matt retires after next year that spot is Suarez's no doubt. He'd be the most accomplished 'yoda development driver at that point. However if Matt sticks around another 2-3 years and William Byron continues his tear in the trucks and xfinity series then some hard decisions have to be made.

11 Byron
18 Busch
19 Edwards
20 Suarez
77 Jones
78 Truex

Hamlin to Hendrick
Kenseth Retired

meh I like to speculate

Back
Top Bottom