Which racetrack do you want off the cup schedule?

The problem with tracks like Indy and honestly most 1.5 mile tracks, is that they were built for IndyCars. They were built for cars with high downforce, which a stock car is not. That's why races at Indy, Kansas and Texas are so boring.
The funny thing is Indy doesn't even race at most of those places now. The IRL was boring and is dead and now IndyCar has a schedule almost perfectly balanced in thirds of ovals/road courses/street circuits.

I don't get much out of watching stock cars racing at big, banked ovals but I can still appreciate them at Indy to a certain degree because of how difficult flat tracks are, especially in those clunkers.

Not only did moving away from IRP to Indy piss me off in terms of the racing product, but they actually let the race winner kiss the bricks. So Brad Keselowski wins the Indy 250 JV race and gets to kiss the bricks. Smfh.

NASCAR is run by an inbred management team.
A trust fund prince that might as well have had his Nascar Hall of Fame guaranteed spot noted on the birth certificate.

He Ramroded the Xfinity /Nationwide event to Indianapolis in spite of the history of excellence at IRP. A signature corporate ass move.
One of the career low life's most dispicable moves.

When one watches them run at Indianapolis the hate should flow.

I'd get rid of Indy or Atlanta. Atlanta was realllly bad this year. If it wasn't so close to me I'd say Dover.

I never understood the hate for the plate tracks. If cars going 200mph 3-wide 6 inches apart from each other isn't exciting, I don't know what is. Even the long green flag runs are entertaining with different packs and grooves.

A trust fund prince that might as well have had his Nascar Hall of Fame guaranteed spot noted on the birth certificate.

He Ramroded the Xfinity /Nationwide event to Indianapolis in spite of the history of excellence at IRP. A signature corporate ass move.

The Pacers get better attendance than the Indy 250 does. :)

I'll be honest, I think Talladega should be removed from the schedule. I mean, is there any real discernible difference between a race at Daytona and a rage at Talladega? I mean they're both super speedways where it used to be tandem racing, but now it's pack racing and moving to the front is totally dependent on drafting.
Daytona was more of a driver's track than Talladega was. Less width and less turning radius. It was slicker and bumpier too, so drivers still had to lift sometimes.

And then they had to repave it.

Here's a good article with some comments from drivers back when it was being discussed after the pothole incident in 2010: http://jacksonville.com/sports/raci...ed-plan-repave-daytona-international-speedway

I'd get rid of Indy or Atlanta. Atlanta was realllly bad this year. If it wasn't so close to me I'd say Dover.

I never understood the hate for the plate tracks. If cars going 200mph 3-wide 6 inches apart from each other isn't exciting, I don't know what is. Even the long green flag runs are entertaining with different packs and grooves.

I could put up with it better if it wasn't for the BS elimination chase crap as in last October's Talladega.
That alone was very damaging, many chase contenders would not risk actually racing for fear of being in the big one.

The place also has real Lemans 1955 potential. If anything like it ever happens with multiple casualties it would be the biggest problem Brian has ever known. He would have to deal the tragedy of a press and media that he couldn't control with fines and blackballing tactics.
God help us, cause if it is bad for Brian then it must be for us all. God save the Queen.

Daytona was more of a driver's track than Talladega was. Less width and less turning radius. It was slicker and bumpier too, so drivers still had to lift sometimes.

And then they had to repave it.

Here's a good article with some comments from drivers back when it was being discussed after the pothole incident in 2010: http://jacksonville.com/sports/raci...ed-plan-repave-daytona-international-speedway

I would never want the Daytona 500 changed or even Saturdays 300 the day before.
The place has history, even the old term Permatex 300 still means a lot.

Outside of the Daytona 500, I'm just not a fan of plate racing. Just like some people aren't a fan of the short tracks, it all comes down to preference. TBH, the only reason I wouldn't get rid of the Daytona 500 is because of the significant history behind the annual race.

None...I like all of the tracks. Each one of them has it's own character.

People complain too much about the plate tracks, some of the greatest finishes I have ever seen have taken place at Dega or Daytona. In terms of 1.5ers... I like the high speed tracks of Texas and I like the technical nature of Kentucky, but Kansas would have to go. Or maybe reduce the constant stops at 1.5ers. I've been asking for more road courses for a while for the halo series. If they would give Road America and somewhere I have seen footage of the NOLA Motorsports Park looks awesome, but it might be for the lower tiers.

I like the idea of it being close to the French Quarters. All the beignets you can eat...

The thing is, many of these tracks only exist because they have two events. Only having one event per year at these tracks would probably end them.

But if I were to remove the second events, Kansas, Texas, Dover, and Pocono would be at the top of my list, replace them with a road course or unique short track.

LOL............ The pack racing separates the men from the boys...... takes ****loads of talent and nerves of steel to do that.........
Maybe, but when one of the boys screws up, lots of the men pay the price. Not even at short tracks are so many others affected by one driver's mistake.

And in spite of Nascar's PR machine a Brickyard win, will never equate to a 500 win. The Nascar PR machine just sounds like a desperate attention whore when they spew such idiocy

I assume you mean a Southern 500 win. :cool:

Seriously, it depends on the driver. Indy means more to Stewart, and probably more to Gordon too. Speaking of Gordon, he'd probably value a Kentucky win most this year. Richmond means more to Hamlin, and probably the Sadlers and the Burtons. Vegas is top of the list if your last name is Busch. Kansas is the big win if you're Edwards or Bowyer. How many times have you heard drivers say they'd really like one of those Martinsville clocks? I'm sure they'd all like to win at Daytona, but for some of them not any more so than at any other track on the circuit.

As to the PR machine, it's in overdrive for the Daytona 500 as much as it is at Indy. Look at the list of Indy winners. Excluding McMurray and Menard, they're all future Hall of Famers. You can't say the same about Derrick Cope, Jimmy Spencer, Trevor Bayne, maybe Michael Waltrip, or a bunch of other D500 winners.

In my case, there's too many chances someone will accidentally take out half the field. Too many rules that apply only at the plate tracks, even more than at the road courses. Too much reliance on who your buddies are instead of how good your individual team / car is. Too much opportunity for some back marker to steal a win through sheer dumb luck.

Just one twit's opinions.

The place has history, even the old term Permatex 300 still means a lot.
TBH, the only reason I wouldn't get rid of the Daytona 500 is because of the significant history behind the annual race.
History, schmistory. To me, the weakest reason to not even consider changing something is, "Well, that's how we've always done it."

If they would give Road America and somewhere I have seen footage of the NOLA Motorsports Park looks awesome, but it might be for the lower tiers. I like the idea of it being close to the French Quarters. All the beignets you can eat...
Isn't NOLA getting Indy or Rolex this year?

1 from dega, 1 from Michigan

I assume you mean a Southern 500 win. :cool:

Seriously, it depends on the driver. Indy means more to Stewart, and probably more to Gordon too. Speaking of Gordon, he'd probably value a Kentucky win most this year. Richmond means more to Hamlin, and probably the Sadlers and the Burtons. Vegas is top of the list if your last name is Busch. Kansas is the big win if you're Edwards or Bowyer. How many times have you heard drivers say they'd really like one of those Martinsville clocks? I'm sure they'd all like to win at Daytona, but for some of them not any more so than at any other track on the circuit.

As to the PR machine, it's in overdrive for the Daytona 500 as much as it is at Indy. Look at the list of Indy winners. Excluding McMurray and Menard, they're all future Hall of Famers. You can't say the same about Derrick Cope, Jimmy Spencer, Trevor Bayne, maybe Michael Waltrip, or a bunch of other D500 winners.

No I mean a Brickyard win or a cup win at Indy will never equate to an Indianapolis 500 win.

Hence a four time Brickyard winner hasn't accomplished something on par with to winning 4 Indianapolis 500 races.

All of my roots, loyalties you name it, is with Nascar I think it is the better of the two series. It isn't even debatable, the quality is far better.

But Indianapolis is the exception . Nascar doesn't put on a comparable show. They look second rate there, and out of their element. The only reason to stay there while they could be putting on a better race has to be for money and vanity.
But it is at the cost of putting on the best quality events.

It should righteously bite them in the ass.
And the empty seats if the fulfillment.

I think everybody and their little dog knows that Nascar at Indy doesn't compare to the Indy 500. The talking heads talk about the track being historic and the racers and fans enjoy that aspect. Nascar has raised itself to that level. It didn't used to be even close, open wheel was the king. Not so much now.

No I mean a Brickyard win or a cup win at Indy will never equate to an Indianapolis 500 win.
Thanks for the clarification. I see your point, and can agree with it to some extent. I was born in Indianapolis, still have family there, and have been to the Brickyard a couple of times. To me, the race there is a lot like Pocono - long straightaways and flat corners. Between them there are three similar races in too short a period of time.

If NASCAR never returned to Indy, it wouldn't bother me much. I don't think it would bother the track much either. I swung by the museum there last summer. 1 stock car, and it wasn't even one that had run there. Not a lot of love for their second biggest (?) draw.

The funny thing is Indy doesn't even race at most of those places now. The IRL was boring and is dead and now IndyCar has a schedule almost perfectly balanced in thirds of ovals/road courses/street circuits.

I don't get much out of watching stock cars racing at big, banked ovals but I can still appreciate them at Indy to a certain degree because of how difficult flat tracks are, especially in those clunkers.

I agree 100% with FLRacingFan....I love the technical challenge that is Indy. Driving those brutes with finesse. So cool....and that track.....iconic.

Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Chicagoland....I don't know which out of that group I'd choose, because they are all the same to me.

Other than the 1.5 mile cookie cutters, I've always hated Michigan races. Just one of those would be fine.

I used to say California, but its been better lately.

I would probably take off Kentucky and ditch every second date at every single 1.5 to make room for more short ovals, road courses and maybe a couple dirt shows.

These are three that NEED to be on our schedule:

Iowa
Road America
Eldora

kansas and loudon, I don't think it was a good idea to double up kansas, doesn't the attendance kinda suck there too?? used to be california but that track is actually putting on great races the last couple years. I really wish darlington had 2 races again thats the first change I would make.

Kansas ticket sales are usually awesome because it's the only track in a big racing area. People come from all over the midwest from Colorado, Oklahoma, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin... just not many races in this area.

Glad they don't race anymore in Quebec.
whistling_zpsyw21ksmk.gif

Now in days it is. It's considered a "marquee" win for a driver along with Daytona 500, Southern 500, and Coca-Cola 600. Also, it's one of the larger purses on the schedule.

That's a great point. I really wish we called them "majors"

These races deserve that tag.

Don't hold back Greg, tell us how you really feel! :D

I too miss the Bush, Nationwide, Xfartity, or what ever the hell it is now, series at IRP as well, was the best race of the weekend. I never have been a fan of the brickyard 400, but, hey, I guess a lot of folks do. But no matter, I will spend my fun dollars on live racing at the tracks I do like.

Back
Top Bottom