Who finishes better? Busch/Indy 500 or Montoya/Brickyard 400

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Sure, two completely different races but which one of these two has the better finish?

I'm going with Montoya @ the Brickyard 400. Albeit a different car than he got out of with the car and rule changes but I think that experience will prevail.

I'd have to agree with that. I'm hoping they both do well though and I'll sure be watching both races.
BTW downunder we spell Beter Better :p

I'd have to agree with that. I'm hoping they both do well though and I'll sure be watching both races.
BTW downunder we spell Beter Better :p
Damn! Spelllcheck turned offf!

You need to pick one. Do be so diplomatic. Probably most all of us will be watching both of these races. That's why I'm asking for you to choose.

My money would be on Montoya. He has a lot of recent experience in stock cars, whereas Busch has no experience in Indycar.

Damn! Spelllcheck turned offf!

You need to pick one. Do be so diplomatic. Probably most all of us will be watching both of these races. That's why I'm asking for you to choose.
Ok Kurt.
He has too much raw talent. :cool:

...Happy? :D

Montoya. Kurt has virtually zero experience in open wheel, JPM had seven years in stock cars.

Kurt at the 500.

Smaller field, Montoya never showed any promise in stock cars, Dem Busch brothers want to win. JPM has been on vacation since like 2004.

I have high hopes that Kurt will drive a safe and smart race and walk away with a respectable finish. Also hope he doesnt dabble with Indy cars anymore, the whole thing makes me worry about his safety

Hmmm. I'll go out on a limb here. Kurt keeps his Indy Car clean and actually scores a decent finish in the 500. He's a hell of a racer.

Montoya has experience in stock cars but takes risks consequently DNFing.

I have high hopes that Kurt will drive a safe and smart race and walk away with a respectable finish. Also hope he doesnt dabble with Indy cars anymore, the whole thing makes me worry about his safety
Agreed 100%. I hate to sound negative, but that was my first thought when I originally heard that Kurt wanted to run the Indy 500. It's also why I wish Montoya had stayed in NASCAR and why I'm glad Danica came over to NASCAR.

I'll be cheering for both but I think Montoya will have the better day. I've been a fan of drivers trying other types of cars. The 24 Hours of Daytona used to be a more interesting race when drivers from other series competed together - I'd like to hear some stories those guys told each other.

Outside of a 9th last yr. and a 2nd his rookie year, Montoya is been pretty lousy at Indy in NASCAR. Toss up - Ill take Kurt

Agreed 100%. I hate to sound negative, but that was my first thought when I originally heard that Kurt wanted to run the Indy 500. It's also why I wish Montoya had stayed in NASCAR and why I'm glad Danica came over to NASCAR.

Kind of interesting that I share your feelings about all three drivers, those Indy cars are killers IMO

Rooting for Kurt but think Montoya with the experience will do better. Tough to do a one off in any major series.

If I had to bet I'd go with Montoya but will be rooting for Busch as I don't really care of Montoya races or not.

I think Andretti is going to go all out on Kurt, whereas JPM will get the worst of the Penske equipment .Has the focus will still be on Logano and Kez. Despite experience JPM did nothing in a stock car. I have to go with Kurt.

Outside of a 9th last yr. and a 2nd his rookie year, Montoya is been pretty lousy at Indy in NASCAR. Toss up - Ill take Kurt
You're forgetting he absolutely dominated Indy a few years back but got screwed by NASCAR with a pit road speeding penalty.

A lot of people are acting like Montoya was Timmy Hill during the time he was here. He wasn't great in NASCAR, but he wasn't THAT bad. As long as his Penske ride isn't built from the scrap heap of the 2 and the 22, I think he may do quite well at the Brickyard.

You're forgetting he absolutely dominated Indy a few years back but got screwed by NASCAR with a pit road speeding penalty.
You're right I totally forgot about that! I actually felt kind of bad for him that day. This is proof that stats don't tell the whole story.

A lot of people are acting like Montoya was Timmy Hill during the time he was here. He wasn't great in NASCAR, but he wasn't THAT bad. As long as his Penske ride isn't built from the scrap heap of the 2 and the 22, I think he may do quite well at the Brickyard.
Penske hasn't won the 400 yet. They'll do everything in their power to give him a chance to win there.

I think Andretti is going to go all out on Kurt, whereas JPM will get the worst of the Penske equipment .Has the focus will still be on Logano and Kez. Despite experience JPM did nothing in a stock car. I have to go with Kurt.

Montoya ....I don't think Penske has any "bad equipment " to give him . His only disadvantage is lack of time with his crew chief , but that is the same for Kurt . I think the Penske stuff is better equipment than Montoya has ever driven.

Do you has the actual data to verify that JPM wasn't speeding or got screwed (as something more than a convenient denial by JPM)?

I disagree with some things Nascar does, but I am not buying that they would have intentionally slapped him with a contrived penalty.
I also am thinking the timing lines are electronicallys monitored, if a set tolerance is villolated it automatically triggers the steward to issue a penalty. I don't think it is a subjective thing.

I realize JPM made an emotional oath that he wasn't guilty, but I think the simple fact of the matter was that he was guilty.

Besides I had JJ picked that day and needed him to win, and it was the right thing to do, I swear to it :)

Montoya in the Penske Ford is going to do well. Going to watch every lap of the indy because Kurt is in it, one of the few Americans in the field these days. I'm pulling hard for Kurt. He is a big underdog but is representing Nascar talent. So more is riding on his race if you ask me. I think if Kurt can keep his car clean and not get caught up in a wreck, he will be there at the end. Got to remember Villeneuve is racing in the 500. Hope he wears his glasses and pulls his head out.

Kurt is in a new place. It's difficult to excel in a new environment.
Montoya will be mediocre in the Cup Series, as he's always been.

Do you has the actual data to verify that JPM wasn't speeding or got screwed (as something more than a convenient denial by JPM)?

I disagree with some things Nascar does, but I am not buying that they would have intentionally slapped him with a contrived penalty.
I also am thinking the timing lines are electronicallys monitored, if a set tolerance is villolated it automatically triggers the steward to issue a penalty. I don't think it is a subjective thing.

I realize JPM made an emotional oath that he wasn't guilty, but I think the simple fact of the matter was that he was guilty.

Besides I had JJ picked that day and needed him to win, and it was the right thing to do, I swear to it :)
There no in-car recorded stats from the race but why even take the chance of speeding on pit road during a green flag pit stop when he had that large of a lead and that dominating of a car? Play it conservative and easy win. Just doesnt add up imo

This is a great question. I don't know if I can call it, honestly. Montoya has more experience in the opposite discipline.. Certain drivers have stellar performances in the 500... I wouldn't be shocked to see them both run well... I guess if I HAD to choose, I'd say Montoya in Penske's badass 2014 Cup car.

There no in-car recorded stats from the race but why even take the chance of speeding on pit road during a green flag pit stop when he had that large of a lead and that dominating of a car? Play it conservative and easy win. Just doesnt add up imo

I agree that he should have played it conservatively, but pushing tolerances and gaining hundredths of a second in small bytes is part or winning.
With electronic monitoring I am more inclined to believe it was a human err (JPMs imo). I could be wrong but I would really be surprised if the electronics
failed.

I also fail to see any motive for Nascar to selectively punish JPM. His demographics and a Nascar Brickyard win would have been postive PR, not negative.

I hate seeing a pit road speeding penalty effect the outcome but the rules are the rules.

I agree that he should have played it conservatively, but pushing tolerances and gaining hundredths of a second in small bytes is part or winning.
With electronic monitoring I am more inclined to believe it was a human err (JPMs imo). I could be wrong but I would really be surprised if the electronics
failed.

I also fail to see any motive for Nascar to selectively punish JPM. His demographics and a Nascar Brickyard win would have been postive PR, not negative.

I hate seeing a pit road speeding penalty effect the outcome but the rules are the rules.
Yep. What you said. Agree A-Z.

The whole conspiracy thing. Why would anyone waste their time watching this sport if they thought any of it is fixed for or against any driver? There's a lot of time devoted to being a fan of this sport in front of the television, at the track, reading about or listening to, posting about, discussion, etc..... Why would any of us devote that much time to this sport if we thought the outcome is being predetermined. What can NASCAR possibly have to gain by handing out a penalty to JPM for speeding on pit road? All of that BS gets old.

The race was a complete snoozer. NASCAR needed an excuse to cause drama

Back
Top Bottom