Who is this mystery driver?

97forever

Team Owner
I wonder whatever happened to him?

This photo is circa 1994.
allen.jpg

97, ain't it strange?

Just this past week I was thinking about Alan Kulwicki and the fact that Bristol is coming up and he lost his life in that air crash.

And I was trying to remember who they put into the car after Alan. I remember that Felix was helping to run the team and there was a dispute with the sponsor as to who would drive the car. Loy Allen's name came to mind but who was the other driever? He was from Virginia and I just can't remember his name at the moment and it is driving me nuts!

Anyone remember that whole story about the team after Alan's death.

mm...can't get the name...wasn't Chuck Bown, was it? Or did he drive for Bobby Allison? :wacko: Now it's driving ME nuts! :lol:

Hensley drove the #7 after Alan passed away. And Loy Allen Jr. won a Daytona 500 pole in that #19 car, if I recall. The biggest question is where either of those drivers are now?

When Loy Allen won the pole at Daytona it was in a Tri-Star Motorsports car with Hooters as the sponsor.
After Alan's death, Jimmy Hensley did drive the #7 car for awhile with Alan's father acting as executor of the estate and the assistance of Felix Sabates. The sponsor was not Hooters but the Family Channel. The president of Hooters son was killed inthe crash with Kulwicki and Hooters dropped from the scene for a short time frame.

At the Atlanta race of 1963, the brand Naturally Fresh salad dressing owned by Hooters was the sponsor on Loy Allen's car but the car was owned by Loy Allen, Sr..

During the winter break between '93 and '94, the Kulwicki team assets were sold to Geoffrey Bodine with Exide as the sponsor.

Not sure where Loy Allen is now but Jimmy Hensley retired to his home in Horse Pastures, VA, near Martinsville, after several years of successful racing in the Craftsman Truck Series.

Back
Top Bottom