Why Chase round no longer have names

OMG they really do think all fans are so stupid that they can't understand named rounds.
I thought it was easy as I had a Q card for each segment and a discription. This year I am dumbfounded as I can't find an explanation for round of 16, round of 12 and round of 8.

Does this refer to how many times the same explanation gets repeated in the booth??

OMG they really do think all fans are so stupid that they can't understand named rounds.
I thought it was easy as I had a Q card for each segment and a discription. This year I am dumbfounded as I can't find an explanation for round of 16, round of 12 and round of 8.

Does this refer to how many times the same explanation gets repeated in the booth??
What's a 'Q card'? Googling the term didn't return anything that seemed to apply.

I knew the rounds had names, but I couldn't keep track of which name applied to which round. Of course, that may well be because I just didn't give a rodent's posterior what the rounds were called.

Glad to see them gone.
Same here, the names were dumb so I never made an effort to memorize which name went with which round.

In College Football, the Big Ten did something similar a few years ago when they called their divisions "Legends" and "Leaders". On top of being incredibly stupid, people had a hard time keeping track of who was in which division, so those names were scrapped for a more simple "East" and "West" a couple years later.

Same here, the names were dumb so I never made an effort to memorize which name went with which round.

In College Football, the Big Ten did something similar a few years ago when they called their divisions "Legends" and "Leaders". On top of being incredibly stupid, people had a hard time keeping track of who was in which division, so those names were scrapped for a more simple "East" and "West" a couple years later.

LOL and the B1G has 14 teams.

LOL, they dropped the names. I knew that would happen. I actually forgot about those stupid names... I forgot what name pertained to what round all the time, also.

I had no idea they had names.

Teh marketing machine didn't go big enough.

I agree that this shows how out of touch NASCAR is. Some things require research. Knowing that Defender, Contender, Eliminator, Eradicator or whatever the Hell else is less clear than "Round of 12" doesn't.

Jill Gregory, who was named NASCAR's chief marketing officer last month, said it's about simplicity. "At the end of the day, we need to make the sport accessible and easy to consume, and sports fans, whether motorsports, NASCAR, stick and ball, they're familiar with a certain vernacular, and we wanted to keep it simple," Gregory, the guest on this week's NASCAR on NBC podcast, said in the Wednesday episode. "Sometimes, you can out-clever yourself." ... "It's very easy to understand Round of 16, Round of 8, so we wanted to make it as easy as possible for fans to engage with it," Gregory said.
Now I understand. As usual, it took a woman to point out the obvious.

Marketing likes to name everything. I recall a fan survey about that (I couldn't name the rounds). Being new to playoffs they wanted names like the college basketball rounds.

March Madness has alliteration going for it (Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4). Challenger 16 or whatever it was was just stupid.

The other difference is (I think) those names were organic. They grew over time because the alliteration was cool. I don't think some NCAA corporate suites ever sat down and came up with "Final Four."

I would be lying if I said I am going to miss the names for each round, I too thought they names were on the stupid side.

Sad and tragic news, I am devastated, the loss of the names just ripped mine and the nations heart out.
Much worse than the North Wilksboro Ghost Town blues will ever be.

After practicing up on, how say it is the "challenger round baby" and the other rounds "baby," as obnoxiously as Dick Vitale could ever, I just feel cheap and used now.

I'm waiting for double points on the last race.

That would be downright evil.
It works for IndyCar, but over there points still matter. At Homestead, they don't count for beans, at least as far as the championship goes. Relative finishing position is the only thing.

These seemed less caustic after some consideration of "Fat" and "Slow."

I'm waiting for double points on the last race.

That would be downright evil.
Assuming the Chase doesn't exist I wouldn't be opposed to NASCAR's "crown jewel" races being worth double points, including doubling bonus points for winning. Daytona 500, Coke 600, Southern 500, Brickyard 400, Bristol night race, and the season finale.

The names were dumb, the chase is even dumber and Brain Fart is the dumbest of them all.

Back
Top Bottom