Wood Brothers Considering Moving Race Shop

T

TonyB

AJC Notes

After racing out of Stuart, Va., for more than 53 years, the Wood Brothers Racing Team is considering moving its shop to the Charlotte area.

"We're looking at a lot of options to make our race team better, and moving to the Charlotte area is definitely one of the things we'll have to look at," said Eddie Wood, who runs the team with his brother Len and sister Kim. "That's where everything is; all the technology is there."

Wood said the family likely will make a decision by the end of the year. He also said the team would like to field two cars, but getting the No. 21 Ford back in Victory Lane on a regular basis is its first priority.

"Whatever it takes to make our race team better, that's what we're going to do," he said.

Even if the Woods move their shop to the Charlotte area, they'll still have a presence in Stuart, their home- town.

"The museum and the business part will always be in Stuart even if the cars and the teams are somewhere else," he said.

Very encouraging to see the Wood Bros. still have the desire to reach victory lane. As unlikely as it may have seemed just a few seasons back,this team still could regain a bit of the glory it once had.

Richard Petty once commented when asked about his own famous car number, replied with true Petty humility that the REAL car number with a lot of history was the number 21!

It would be great to see these guys regain that winning form! :cheers:

After Living here in Concord for a Year I could understand Why they would want to move here! Everything needed to build/manufacturer race cars is right here! In the long run that may help the team! It is also nice to have 3 weekends more a year at home! with the 3 races at Lowes Motor Speedway!

More importantly is the fact that they'll be closer to Roush. I wonder if they would build in the same industrial park that the Roush shops & MB2 are in?

I never understood why the Woods and the Petty's insisted on being so far away from Charlotte. Charlotte is were all the talent is. You are not gonna get the good talented people to move away from Charlotte to just to work for back markers like the Woods and especically the Petty's

There is some new Buildings going up just behind the Rousch facilities; although I have no idea who is moving in there. Richard Petty used to have a race shop in Kannapolis, NC. Randleman isnt all that far from Concord. about an hour and 15 minute drive!

If you look at a map, Stuart, Va. is just over the state line from Mt. Airy, NC. Not really all that far from Charlotte.

It wasn't all that long ago that the race shops were located all over the countryside, not all bunched together in the Charlotte area.

Jr. Johnson was in Rhonda, NC, the Petty's over in Randleman, the Woods Bros. and Morgan McClure in Va, the Elliott's in Dawesonville, Ga. and others from Mass. to Fla. to Alabama to California and just about everywhere in between.

Only in the last ten or so years have the teams all moved into the area surrounding Charlotte.
When the teams made the move, the talent they employed moved along with them if they wanted to keep their jobs.

Originally posted by rajflyboy@Oct 20 2003, 03:47 PM
There is some new Buildings going up just behind the Rousch facilities; although I have no idea who is moving in there. Richard Petty used to have a race shop in Kannapolis, NC. Randleman isnt all that far from Concord. about an hour and 15 minute drive!
I know Roush is building new headquarters and a museum. Could possibly be the building that is currently going up. I'm guessing they'll want to move the #16 closer to the other four teams & possibly move the truck teams there also.

Nascar Research Center is right across the street as well! Hendrick and Jeffy Gordon Shop is right down the road as well!

Where is the NRC in realtion to the shops? I don't think it was built when we were down there. (May '02)

I remember from Hendrick, we drove back by Lowe's, headed north on I-85 & got off the next exit. (I think?) Headed west for a bit & then south until we had to turn east into the industrial park that Roush is at. I know the Concord Airport was behind Matt & Kurt's shop.

The Nascar building is across the street from Roush! Not on the airport road; its across the main road from Roush! You will see the Nascar sign on the building. I'm not sure if anyone is allowed in the building. I haven't tried to get in there.

Johnny Benson and Jerry Nadeau Shops are behind the Roush Complex. They actually allow you to step into the actual race shops. They have carpet beyond the door. Only rule is that you must stay on the carpet. Go there the next time your in town! Beats the heck out of the Jeff Gordon Jimmy Johnson shop. You can't see anything there! Nice building. thats about it!

Joe Gibbs in Huntersville is still my favorite. They have a huge window in the building looking down on the entire race shop. What an impressive place!

DEI shop is unreal as well. Off of Rt 3 in Mooresville. Plenty of trophy's in the place and the racecar collection is interesting as well! Can't see into the actual race shop though!

Dang! Wish we would have gone into MB2. I liked J Gibbs & Roush the best. Hendrick's musuem was nice & we could actully view a lot of the #25 shop. Yeah, JJ's & Jeff's shop wasn't worth it. Could only see the front end of a row of cars though a hockey ring, but seeing Jeff's trophy display was neat. DEI is a just tribute to his ego. I'm guessing the portable potties cost twice as much as my home. :D We also went up to Brett Bodine's. Those were the only guys actually working their butts off!

Check out the MB2 next time.

Where is the Brett Bodine shop?

BBR is north of Mooresville. I can't remember exactly where, but I got all the directions and addy's from a link off of Jasyski before we went down.

I want to get down soon for the 600, we were down just for the Winston. Especially now, just to check out Roush's new digs.

Concord and Mooresville is certainly the place to be if you Love Nascar racing. I have even heard a rumor that IRL cars are manufactured here in Concord!

Back
Top Bottom