Young Guns

The Long Shot

Crew Chief
Cole Custer's win this weekend is just the latest high point in what has been a fantastic year for the young drivers of our sport. Because of this, I thought I'd create a thread regarding the young guns, specifically those that do not have threads solely related to them (though you can absolutely talk about guys like Larson in here if you wish).

I guess to start it off, I'll ask this question: what do you think of Cole Custer so far? IMO, he's been a very overlooked prospect for a considerable while. Lots of success in the East and West Series.

I don't pay much attention to any of them that much until they get into the trucks. It is his seventh time I believe in a truck, and i thought at first that Gene Hass must have seen something in him to put him in a truck. but he wasn't doing that great until this last race, so I am not ready to say he is a hot shoe, one race does not make one so to me anyway. He needs more top fives racing hard for a win, hope he does get there though, I'm a fan of Gene Haas, they make the best in the world CNC machines.
I have been touting and watching Chris Beucher in Nationwide. Tougher place to make a name for yourself. He drives a really smart race for a rook. Reminds me of David Pearson, he is there at the end.

Custer showed me how good he is at canada a few weeks back. Was leading when a loose tire on a pit stop forced him to have a drive thru penalty. Then he drove his way back into the top 5 and had a chance to win until Tag dumped him. Then there's his dominance this week. I think Custer, Bubba Wallace, Erik Jones, and Ryan Blaney will all succeed at the cup level.

Custer showed me how good he is at canada a few weeks back. Was leading when a loose tire on a pit stop forced him to have a drive thru penalty. Then he drove his way back into the top 5 and had a chance to win until Tag dumped him. Then there's his dominance this week. I think Custer, Bubba Wallace, Erik Jones, and Ryan Blaney will all succeed at the cup level.

Not to mention he won the pole at Gateway (I think that was where it was, anyway). I'd also expect him to be really competitive at Phoenix. He dominated the West finale there last year until Gray Gaulding dumped him on the final lap, and then dominated and won the season opener there this year.

Erik Jones is under-appreciated. Assuming he takes over the #54 truck after Wallace moves up to Nationwide, he's immediately the championship favorite in my eyes.

Kyle Larson is the one that has impressed me the most, seeing the 42 car up near the front this year is really strange. Never seen a driver like Larson, 110 percent ALL the time, its been a real joy watching him race and mix it up with the old pros.

Eric Jones is another one, I am glad Kyle Busch got a hold on this kid. I see a truck championship in the future for KBM

It's good to see these young kids have the success they're having. About 5 years ago, the well was pretty dry when it came to young talent. That's why we had guys like Kevin Conway and Andy Lally winning the Sprint Cup ROTY. With many of the current Sprint Cup superstars getting long in the tooth, it's nice to see that enough new talent is coming along to replace some of those guys.

A shame to see Ryan Truex lose his ride at BK Racing. I've had it with these impatient back marker Cup teams. They keep ruining these young guys careers. First Kligerman gets shafted by Swan Racing expanding when they had no money. Now BK puts 3 rookies in there cars and gives up on them after less than one season.

A shame to see Ryan Truex lose his ride at BK Racing. I've had it with these impatient back marker Cup teams. They keep ruining these young guys careers. First Kligerman gets shafted by Swan Racing expanding when they had no money. Now BK puts 3 rookies in there cars and gives up on them after less than one season.

In fairness, it's not as if Truex did much to keep his job. Bowman and Whitt have been consistently outrunning him all year. But yes, I was absolutely pissed when Kligerman lost his ride. Luckily he seems to be getting his career back together again, albeit in open wheel instead of stock cars.

Back
Top Bottom