your favorite track and why??

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
mine is Darlington the cars run right up close to the wall, the pavement in the past was wore out. The racing groove is the funkiest I have ever seen. your probably going to hit the wall or someone else at some point. The wall is painted old school. before they paved the place when jeff gordon won it with no water in the radiator and they had to run shaker screens it might as well have been a dirt track. The history of the track. It needs a second race, the rebel 500 of course.

Are we referring to tracks we have been to, or tracks we enjoy watching on TV?

Been to Charlotte ,Pocono ,Dover and ,um,Loudon (few times )
Favorite track ? Martinsville or Bristol .

I have never watched a race in person at darlington, anyone that has been is this a very good place to watch a race?? How is the view of the track?? Right now if I could go watch a race anywhere it might be darlington but I don't know how good of a truck it is to watch a race live at.

I used to love Talladega but since the pave job and the tandem and all that bs I just grew to even hate it a little.

Oh and yeah there is that bit of Gordon not making it to the finish in one piece.

I'd say favorite track now is Atlanta.

I have never watched a race in person at darlington, anyone that has been is this a very good place to watch a race?? How is the view of the track?? Right now if I could go watch a race anywhere it might be darlington but I don't know how good of a truck it is to watch a race live at.

I've sat on the front straightaway and in turn 4. The front straightaway seats were crap, couldn't see. Turn 4 seats were excellent. Could see the entire track no prob. I highly recommend Darlington for a cup race. One of my favorite tracks on the cup series schedule. Check it out someday if you get the chance.

I would have to say Darlington also, the current back stretch was the front stretch when I was there.

I'm torn between Bristol, and Daytona. Both for sentimental reasons.

Daytona for being "the birthplace of speed" and for the special feeling it invokes in all race fans. It was the first live race and track I'd ever been to. I'm lucky enough to own a condo only 20 mins down the road in New Smyrna beach so I get to go every year. The feeling I get when I'm driving down Int Speedway blvd never gets old.

Bristol because the first real short track race I saw was the night race and I was literally in awe seeing all 43 cars on the track battling. I've been hooked ever since.

Btw awesome thread idea, I love hearing others opinions on this stuff. Part of the reason I love NASCAR so much is the diversity and character of the tracks.

Richmond, Darlington, Martinsville, Bristol.

They are unique and are guaranteed to put on a good show.

Try to sit in a turn at Darlington. I'd say turn 1, closer to the front stretch to see the cars coming off pit road.
It's difficult to see the cars are on your side of the track when you're sitting on a 'straight' straightaways, verses a straightaway that has a dog-leg like Charlotte.

I used to always try to get seats in the turns at tracks like Mville, Darlington, and Dover because of their straight straightaways.

Talladega and Daytona for me, I love plate racing.

As for "normal" tracks with out restrictor plates, Charlotte is my other favorite because of the speed there, and its only about 25 mins away from me.

Somona. Gotta Love turning right and left!
Yep. I like almost all the tracks other than Daytona and Talladega, but if I had to choose, I'd say Sonoma is my favorite too, with Martinsville coming in at a very close 2nd. Both provide the close quarters beating, banging, and battling that I like to watch.

For the most part, any track where driver skill plays more of a role than aero is okay by me.

great advice from some people that have been to darlington thanks. I love the track and tonight it didn't disappoint. man what a funky way they have to run through 1 and 2. enter the turn on the brake then on the gas all the way then off the gas on exit, basically a real turn 1 and 2 not a combined turn like everywhere else. then just as you are fully into turn one its like the track pinches you cars side by side almost slam into each other. I guess thats why they say yield to the inside car and let him have the spot if that happens entering one

I've sat on the front straightaway and in turn 4. The front straightaway seats were crap, couldn't see. Turn 4 seats were excellent. Could see the entire track no prob. I highly recommend Darlington for a cup race. One of my favorite tracks on the cup series schedule. Check it out someday if you get the chance.

I concur. I sat in turn 4 and was about 3/4 of the way up and could see the whole track. Great view, great race, great track.

Darlington. This place can eat veteran drivers. The cars seems to slide around more and I just like the layout and how difficult it is to drive plus there are no restrictor plates!

Darlington never disappoints, but I also have a soft spot for Bristol and the plate tracks. I also like the road races, they're generally very exciting :)

Richmond is a different track from what it was when I saw my first big time race there – in 1958.

Darlington, my first big time race at a big time track – 1963.

Honorable mentions and my respect to Martinsville and Bristol. Great tracks.

Said over and over time after time. Darlington. track changes, passes are plentiful, action all day/night. Its old school and new at the same time.

Said over and over time after time. Darlington. track changes, passes are plentiful, action all day/night. Its old school and new at the same time.
Better watch out tonight Bama. I've got this one.

Been to Loudon 1994 &5 when it was the Slick 50 300. No one mentioned Dover. First time at Daytona you will never forget.

Favorite as a spectator: Bristol. I love the race, LOVE the atmosphere, love the town, love the fans, and there's not a bad seat in the house. Plenty of good viewing options from grandstands, to small personal suites, to bigger community suites like the Bud Tap room. The only bad place to watch a race is the bar on top of the building in the infield of turn 4. Darlington/Martinsville runner ups.

Favorite to do hospitality: Richmond. Great race, great seating options for guests, good active garage area, not a very big place (so getting guests around is easy) night races...so we're never in a rush trying to fly through an itinerary, close to a city (gives us options other than racing). Kentucky runner up.

Favorite to conduct business: Indy. Giant garage, driver and owner coaches right there, actually an interesting place to walk around and kill time between meetings (things to do right outside garage - midway, fan zones, beer, etc) flying in and out (even if just for one day) is easy with lots of flight options, and right near a real, "walking" city like downtown Indy (where everyone stays), so there's lots of things to do. If you ever want to people watch a who's who in NASCAR, St Elmo's Steak House is the place to be the night the circus gets to town. Make sure you have a reservation weeks to months in advance.

Least favorite track: Daytona, and it's not even close. For everything I want/need out of NASCAR, it's awful. First of all, I hate live pack racing. Here they come! Aaaaaaaaand, look at your phone for :45 seconds. Wait, here they come! Repeat. Also, plate racing is the only kind of racing that rules on TV. It's the only race that TV can actually do justice. So, why not take advantage of that from the couch! From a business standpoint, my Daytona choices are either 1) 500: which everyone and their brother wants to attend so I'm constantly managing requests, massive hype, crowded, teams all new, everyone getting a feel for new things, EXPENSIVE, huge track, tough to get around with a group, people who run track are absolute jerks, most of the teams have been there for two plus weeks, so they're all miserable and sick of the place by the time race weekend rolls around. OR 2) July 4th race: See most of the above, add HOT AS HELL, and have to travel and leave my family on a holiday weekend while they're all gathered at my beach house. I really, really, really don't like Daytona. The only consolation to Daytona is that I can leave the track after the green flag drops, and be watching the race from a beach side bar in less than 25 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom