‘idol' Before Iraq

P

PenskeGirl

Just last week one of the news channels was talking to a woman who's due to have her baby any day now and her husband was just shipped out. She said that the only way that they can get the news to him is through the red cross. How many guys that were deployed have a loved one that's deathly ill ?? This just doesn't make sense to me..... :headshake

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/67422.htm

‘IDOL' BEFORE IRAQ

By BRAD HUNTER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW HEAR THIS:
Singing Marine Lance Cpl. Josh Gracin's audition tape was played on last week's "American Idol" on WNYW/Channel 5. He'll appear again this Wednesday.

January 26, 2003 -- As thousands of Marines are preparing to ship out to the Persian Gulf within the week, one leatherneck is making his mark on "American Idol" instead.
Lance Cpl. Josh Gracin, 21, was slated to be deployed with his unit in Kuwait in the coming days.

But his mother said that when he got his big break to appear on the popular Fox show, Marine brass made an exception for him.

Brenda Gracin, of Westland, Mich., said "higher authorities" intervened on behalf of her singing offspring to delay his posting to the Mideast hot spot.

" 'American Idol' had to work with Washington to get Josh out of the deployment," Mrs. Gracin told a source.

But she added that her son was not shirking his duty and "once his stint on ‘American Idol' is over, Josh will be sent to Kuwait."

Gracin is slated to appear on the show Wednesday night.

The delay deployment may turn into a musical minefield.

As the nation gears up for war in Iraq and families are split, Gracin's apparent exemption could hit a sour note with veterans, military personnel and other patriotic Americans.

"We're under strict instructions not to say anything," Brenda Gracin told The Post yesterday. She said she didn't know how long the Marine's deployment was deferred.

"But I'll tell you one thing: we're very proud of him."

The singing Marine came to the attention of the show's producers when they played his audition tape on national TV Wednesday.

More than 25 million people watched as Gracin sang the Frank Sinatra chestnut, "All or Nothing at All."

He even got a thumbs up from Brit bully Simon Cowell, one of the judges. Known for his caustic comments targeting untalented contestants, Cowell heaped praise on the Marine.

The show received about 70,000 entries for this year's program that aims to turn nobodies into pop stars.

Neither show officials nor the Marines returned calls from The Post yesterday.

Gracin joined the Marines two years ago and is assigned to Camp Pendleton, Calif. Already, 200 of his fellow Marines have been deployed in Kuwait and Qatar. An additional 2,100 leathernecks from his base are slated to be in harm's way in a week.

His father, Mario, said the Marine has been studying finance and accounting at the base, where he is "in charge of" supplies.

Gracin has always had a song in his heart, according to his father who revealed he played saxophone in the John Glenn HS band in the late 1990s.

He later switched to guitar and began performing at community events. In 1997, he even put out a country single called "She Loves Me."

Gracin's story stands in stark contrast to Harlem couple Lateef and Claudia Bost.

Lateef was doing five months of basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., and Claudia was still doing her stint at Fort Jackson when her husband was called to active duty.

Claudia finished training last week and came home. Lateef Bost hopes to see her and son Lateef Jr. before he's shipped overseas.

Taht is strange that they only can contact him through Red Cross. I know two AF members over there and they have email. Of couerse is medical situations as this pregnant woman, I guess the Red Cross is the first POC.

Originally posted by paul
good to see you back PG, have a nice vacation? :)

LOL, I wish my time away had been pleasurable. I've been quite miserable at my job for a few months now and it's become unbearable. Unfortunately the job market isn't the best so I've had a rough time finding something. But FINALLY some good luck came my way and Tue is my last day at my current job. I'm going to spend the rest of the week in SC enjoying friends & family. It's nice to know that people notice you're gone. Nice to see ya'll again.

:)

I was wondering where you have been. Good luck with the new job.

Special priveledge is always going to have it's consequences. How do you think his platoon mates will recieve him when he is done playing music boy?

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin
Special priveledge is always going to have it's consequences. How do you think his platoon mates will recieve him when he is done playing music boy?

I thought about that very same thing. I'm sure life for him isn't going to be easy. There's going to be ALOT of animosity....

Hiya Lap3 & Tab, thanks for the well wishes...I'm sure this job can't be as miserable as my last one has been!!

Back
Top Bottom