“It was fast. I mean fast, fast,” Montoya said.

Joniki

Team Owner
Contributor
MIS tore most of the grandstands out of turn four. They apparently sold them to Watkins Glen. :eek:

untitled.png

http://www.mlive.com/autoracing/index.ssf/2012/04/sprint_cup_drivers_near_215_mp.html

BROOKLYN – Two-time Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth said the one thing many would think you would never hear from a race car driver, even if it was a little in jest.
“I think we were going too fast,” Kenseth laughed during a break in Wednesday afternoon’s tire test at Michigan International Speedway.
Kenseth, along with four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Busch and Juan Pablo Montoya all participated in the two-day test, which began at MIS’ two-mile superspeedway on Tuesday.

I hope they don't though. If Kenseth wants to whine like a little girl about speed, he can go rent a bando car somewhere in New England.

215 mph, that alone or in a drafting situation? 200 mph is the magic number, there will be a rule change.

Gordon said Michigan has always been fast, and the speeds generated over the past two days were about 6 to 8 mph more than what cars generated on Michigan's old surface or at its sister facility, Auto Club Speedway in Southern California. Drivers saw close to 210 mph at both those 2-mile venues, Gordon said. The fact that drivers still have to lift out of the gas at Michigan, and can't stay in the throttle all the way around, makes him comfortable with the speed.

Thank you Jeff. Maybe Goodyear will listen.

They won't even consider using plates. Also those are top speeds and not average lap speeds.

If I understand correctly their Reaching top speeds of 210-215 mph not running lap averages of 210-215 mph?

Why not put a plate on it. It might fill the grandstands. Even-though, I still won't brave the heat wave, or torrential rain storm.

Speeds at MIS and AAA have been over 200MPH at the end of the front straight for many years!

GADD got it right. If they have to lift to make it thru turn one, it's all good.

But you can bet that a harder tire is on the way.
One that has less lateral grip, forcing the drivers to further reduce speeds in the turns.
Drivers will bicch and moan about having to actually drive their racecars - again...

That's exactly what I think they ought to do for the Destructor Plate Tracks!

If I understand correctly their Reaching top speeds of 210-215 mph not running lap averages of 210-215 mph?

Yes, top speeds of 210-215. I don't think NASCAR would even consider a restrictor plate at this time. They're not flat footing it and it sounds like they have quite a bit of throttle control.

Geez, I hope Montoya didn't take out any of the guys tearing down the grandstands.

The market is moving towards the $1000 rv parking spot. The turn 4 grandstands at MIS suck anyhow. You can't see the start finish line, pits, and parts of the tri oval

The turn 4 grandstands at MIS suck anyhow. You can't see the start finish line, pits, and parts of the tri oval
I sat in turn #1 with similar type problems not being able to see pit road and other areas of the track. Personally, I prefer tracks a mile and under for viewing. I still go to others and enjoy it but I still like the smaller tracks.

The market is moving towards the $1000 rv parking spot. The turn 4 grandstands at MIS suck anyhow. You can't see the start finish line, pits, and parts of the tri oval

I hope they give you a campfire hooker for that price.

$1,000? Are you serious?

That's what I heard last year at the Graves campground around a fire sipping white lightning. OOPS, did I just get honest there. Shame on me. I can't be trusted. ;)

Reality is this, the turn 4 grandstand ticket prices are minimal. And the buyers of those tickets are casual fans. People who don't make much money. And people who lost their jobs in Michigan. There are lots of those. A company from Montana came to Flint and hired hundreds of people to move. It's happening all the time. Guys riding unemployment for two years. Then they leave.

The secret to the motor home flat is this. The people who have those $500,000 motor homes don't want to park on the infield. And $1000 is chicken scratch to them. And, the comeback rate is much better than "BOB and SUE from Flint who are watching their town degrade with them. Or other people who are subject to the hard financial times.

Michigan campsite in the infield are $200 trackside and decrease in amount as you move further in down to $160. The average Joe, or below average Joe, like me, camps further away from the track for as little as $100 for the week. You can certainly pay more if you want a premium site but I wouldn't expect otherwise. Personally I don't think those prices are bad at all.

Michigan campsite in the infield are $200 trackside and decrease in amount as you move further in down to $160. The average Joe, or below average Joe, like me, camps further away from the track for as little as $100 for the week. You can certainly pay more if you want a premium site but I wouldn't expect otherwise. Personally I don't think those prices are bad at all.

Is that per night or for the weekend?

Graves campground has a shower and bathroom complex that is new only to GRAVES. All the others, you just wash with a rag I think. I paid 180 for the week.

Is that per night or for the weekend?
For your entire stay.

Graves campground has a shower and bathroom complex that is new only to GRAVES. All the others, you just wash with a rag I think. I paid 180 for the week.
Plenty of options @ Michigan Speedway to take advantage of. Not sure about the rag thing that you are talking about. I have a shower in my trailer and use that. Water is available to refill my tanks when needed. If you stay in a tent, shower houses are also available throughout the property.

Plenty of options @ Michigan Speedway to take advantage of. Not sure about the rag thing that you are talking about. I have a shower in my trailer and use that. Water is available to refill my tanks when needed. If you stay in a tent, shower houses are also available throughout the property.

I got a tent. The wife wants a trailer. She needs a good car first. Anybody want a 93 camry with 186,000 on it?

All of the campgrounds that MIS lists all have access to.....

- Access to showers
- Portable restrooms
- Fresh water
- Dump station
- Convenience store

Also, there are others that are cheaper than what you are currently paying that have tent camping. Brooklyn Trails Campground is $135 for the weeks worth of activities and opens the Monday before race weekend.

All of the campgrounds that MIS lists all have access to.....

- Access to showers
- Portable restrooms
- Fresh water
- Dump station
- Convenience store

Also, there are others that are cheaper than what you are currently paying that have tent camping. Brooklyn Trails Campground is $135 for the weeks worth of activities and opens the Monday before race weekend.

Huh, the folks working the Graves site are stupid, or they lied.

I remember the first year I went. The campground was packed. Two years later, tons of open spots. But no open spots for the hookup section. 300 bucks a week and sold out. So sold out that a guy with a giant RV coach deal rented the spot behind me. Backed it right up to my spot, and let the diesel roll. Between that guy and the dude with wet wood across the aisle from me, and the LOUD generator next to me.

I would be much more willing to go back if I could camp in the woods. To damn hot for a tent. And too loud with the generator next to me.

RV, you are my salvation. I would pay the 300 for the hookup spot if I had an RV. That would be worth it to me. AC, it's a difference maker.

Huh, the folks working the Graves site are stupid, or they lied.

I remember the first year I went. The campground was packed. Two years later, tons of open spots.

I would be much more willing to go back if I could camp in the woods. To damn hot for a tent. And too loud with the generator next to me.

RV, you are my salvation. I would pay the 300 for the hookup spot if I had an RV. That would be worth it to me. AC, it's a difference maker.
Michigan onsite camping link.

There are plenty of offsite camping options as well.

Whether it is just my wife and I or if it is our family of four going to the races, we always go to a non hookup site and use a Honda 3000 generator. Very little noise and powers everything that we have including the AC.

Michigan onsite camping link.

There are plenty of offsite camping options as well.

Whether it is just my wife and I or if it is our family of four going to the races, we always go to a non hookup site and use a Honda 3000 generator. Very little noise and powers everything that we have including the AC.

The guy behind me to the side had one. Those are the whip. Quiet as a mouse. And they don't stink.

The guy behind me to the side had one. Those are the whip. Quiet as a mouse. And they don't stink.
I have one of those 6500 Briggs & Stratton generators too but that thing rattles your teeth when it is running. I only use it to power parts of my house during a power outage.

Back
Top Bottom