1 dead, vehicles damaged after crash

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
DSA_2168.jpg

from vintagefuel.com

Nostalgia Motorsports’ Jim Broome phoned to share that during the NHRA Arizona Nationals first round eliminations Antron Brown’s top fuel dragster crashed shortly before the finish line losing the left rear tire. The tire flew into the crowd instantly killing one woman then leaping over the nostalgia Funny Car teams Powers Steel, Jolly Rogers and Candies & Hughes’s racecar trailers before slamming into Steve Plueger’s hauler. The tire caved in the hauler’s door and smashed out the window before coming to a final rest.

It is reported that the female spectator was pushing another woman in a wheelchair just below the grandstands when she was struck by the tire. NHRA medical and safety crew pronounced her dead on the scene. This is a somber reminder of the dangers involved with any form of racing and our hearts go out to the victim’s family.

from competition plus:

Top Fuel driver Antron Brown was involved in an accident during the first round of the NHRA Arizona Nationals in Phoenix.

About roughly 400 feet into race against Troy Buff, Brown's dragster lost a right rear wheel. The dragster made an abrupt left turn, crossed the center-line and made contact with the left retaining wall, where it rode along the top, before coming to a stop.

Brown exited the car under his own power and walked over to the ambulance.

"I could not drive it," said Brown after being checked out by medical personnel. "The back end just felt like it dropped down on the right side. The car just started pitching end over end. At that point I was upside down and in my mind things were going crazy. I was just hoping I didn't go into Troy or into the other lane. The next thing I knew I hit the wall and I saw a burst of flame come around my head and back. I saw sparks. The Safety Safari guy was right there and the next thing I know somebody was trying to help pull me out of the race car. Thanks to the Safety Safari and all the guys at the track, they do an awesome job.

"It was a crazy ride."

Brown was accompanied by a team member to Chandler Regional Hospital for further observation

from drag race central:

Brown is 4 - 0 against Buff in prior events. Buff with a slight starting line advantage was straight down the groove to take the win. Brown with violent tire shake as soon as he hit the throttle and he pedaled it and the car was still shaking hard. The left rear wheel snapped off and went flying down the track. Brown's car then made quick move left and slammed into the left wall. The front of his car got up on the wall and there was a big fireball. The car was sliding down the wall with the front of the dragster still on the wall and the car on fire. The car came to rest around 660 feet on it's side and the front of the car still on the wall and still on fire. Brown is out of the car and the report from the top end is he is okay.

from http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/24903-antron-ok-after-round-1-accident.html :

My sister in law is there and called and said the slick flew into the stands and continued to bounce into the pits and knocked somebody out and then flipped over the Jegs truck

They reported at the beginning of the final eliminations show on ESPN 2 that she was severely injured and in critical condition.

I have 4 files. PM me on how to get them.

21 minutes of broadcast- sunday + monday
720x480 159 MB
368x240 40 MB

3 minutes of amateur footage from youtube + slowmo (I downloaded before removal)
720x480 33 MB
320x240 14 MB

Back
Top Bottom