$10,000-to-win 'Spring Thaw 100' scheduled March 2-3

kelloggs5TLfan

Team Owner
$10,000-to-win 'Spring Thaw 100' scheduled March 2-3 at Volunteer Speedway

BULLS GAP, Tenn. -- The $10,000-to-win Ninth Annual Spring Thaw 100 at Volunteer Speedway is scheduled for Friday and Saturday, March 2-3. A strong field of dirt Late Model competitors are expected to be in action on the high banks of "The Gap" ... hoping to pocket the Spring Thaw 100 winner's purse of $10,000, with the event paying $700-to-start.

Defending Spring Thaw 100 race winner Scott Bloomquist, of Mooresburg, Tenn., headlines the list of early pre-entries as he will be present to defend his title.

"Over the years I've run many laps at Volunteer Speedway, and we've been fortunate enough to win a lot of races too ? I guess you could say it's my home-track," said the many time dirt Late Model national champion from his race shop Thursday night. "With all the traveling I do racing all around the country, it sure is good anytime to be able to race close to home before all of of my local fans who have watched me race since I moved to East Tennessee several years ago. It's also good to be able to sleep at home in your own bed instead of being out on the road. I really like running at 'The Gap,' and with the special-event schedule Joe Loven has put together for 2007 it looks like we'll be running there at least four times.

"We had a clean-sweep last year at Volunteer Speedway, winning both the Spring Thaw and the Scorcher, and there was no way I could pass up coming back to defend my title. We really had an outstanding overall season last year, winning a lot of big-purse special events at tracks all over the country. But you can't just look at what you did in the past, because the caliber of talent competing today in dirt Late Model racing with good equipment means you've really got to be innovative with your racing program. We work hard at the shop to be prepared for when we show up at the track, because we race to win. I've got good guys helping on the crew and they want to win just as much as I do. We started our season off on a good note, winning a Southern All-Stars event at Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick, Ga., on our way down to Tampa, Fla., where we then captured a Lucas Oil Late Model Series victory in the 'Winternationals' at East Bay Raceway. We look forward to running well in the Spring Thaw, and hopefully we'll be able to get us a win in front of the local fans."

On Friday, March 2 the Super Late Models will qualify and run heat races, along with Crate Late Model, Open Wheel Modified and Renegade Pure Stock (FWD/RWD) features. Adult grandstand admission on Friday is $15, with pit passes and backside tier-parking $20.

Highlighting the Saturday, March 3 night of racing will be the $10,000-to-win Ninth Annual Spring Thaw 100. Kicking off the racing program will be last chance consolations to complete the 24-car starting field for the 100-lap main event. Also racing will be Hobby Stock and Mini Stock. Adult grandstand admission is $25, with pit passes and backside tier-parking $30.

The pit gate will open each day at 3 p.m., with the grandstands opening daily at 5 p.m. Hotlaps are tentatively scheduled to begin each evening around 6:30 p.m., followed by qualifying and then feature racing action.

For more information, contact the track at (423) 235-5020, track office at (423) 378-5942, visit the Web site at www.volunteerspeedway.com ... or Public Relations Director Robert Walden at (423) 928-9644.

Oh Kelloggs I guess your man Bloomer has already rented the track for practice?

Weather calling for rain/snow showers on Saturday.

Oh Kelloggs I guess your man Bloomer has already rented the track for practice?

Weather calling for rain/snow showers on Saturday.

:bazooka: directed at you.

I don't know if I'm going or not. Depends on the weather. My brother is going, but not racing.

Back
Top Bottom