107th Indianapolis 500 RACE Thread

question about the rogue wheel.

Is this something to worry about? As in will there be changes to prevent this in future?
They have wheel tethers that are supposed to prevent that, something about that impact sheared it off. I'm sure they will inspect it and make needed changes.

They have wheel tethers that are supposed to prevent that, something about that impact sheared it off. I'm sure they will inspect it and make needed changes.
TKs KKF
didnt know about wheel tethers,
Do sprints and midgets have these as well?

I'm thinking of going to Iowa and bringing my 2 year old son, but gosh Iowa in middle of the day in that July heat is a huge deterrent. I dunno how I would do and more importantly how he would do in that heat in his first race. But its been so long since I've been to an IndyCar race, I got the itch to go for sure.

Apparently people thought Jewel's national anthem was disrespectful? I thought it was beautiful and wonderfully done

They need a do not cross while racing painted line before pit road. Sooner or later they going hook up while snaking and blocking the draft just before the entrance to pit road and take the carnage to the pit crews.
I was thinking the same thing. Or worst, they'll hit the attenuator...

Lots of spills and thrills in this one. Glad they didn't end under yellow/checker.
Agree with others though, JN swirving into pit entry to brake the draft can't be allowed next year.

I'm thinking of going to Iowa and bringing my 2 year old son, but gosh Iowa in middle of the day in that July heat is a huge deterrent. I dunno how I would do and more importantly how he would do in that heat in his first race. But its been so long since I've been to an IndyCar race, I got the itch to go for sure.
With our kids when they were that young , I started them out on low budget Saturday nite local tracks. We usually would park on the fence
in case they wanted to nap. IMSA road courses were good for little kids cause there would be a playground to go to at some point in the day
plus the car was close. When they get 4-6 years old they will be a little more mobile and you can see if they are excited to go see the races or not.
If you have a young child out past their bedtime ,you can guarantee you will be carrying them to the car, with your backpack and cooler. Stollers are tricky in a crowded grandstand setting, not too bad if you find a couple open rows to spread out with.
Headphones are a must for the little ones. I got the point where I keep packs of ear buds in my back pack to give to kids and new first timers
who would cover their ears every time the cars came by.

Well Ross is still at it I quess. :XXROFL:

Ross at Indy.jpg

I will take a green finish over a yellow finish for any race.

Are tickets still $230 or is your 2 y/o such a big Ed Sheeran fan?

4.92 million people watched the race, a slight increase from last year's 4.84 million.
Viewership peaked at 5.8 million.

Good. It is like they are getting a second chance to get this right. The odds of the tire barely missing a grandstand launched from that part of the Speedway are slim.

I visited my mom today who didn't see the race or really understand the close call. I told her it would have been as devastating as a fired cannon ball, and I don't believe that is an exaggeration.

Seems like mixed messaging compared to the series statement that the tether didn’t fail. Or am I interpreting it wrong?

We’re going to look at that, but I guess the shear (force) from when (Rosenqvist’s) car was sitting, (Kirkwood’s car) went over and just that shear force tore that tether. Because we have tethers on there, and I’ve never seen a wheel come off.

This is the most extreme still imagine I could find of the “dragon” on the final restart. At the very least they have to keep these guys above the dashed line.

IMG_1621.jpeg

What a jerk. Threatening to put another driver into a wall… dude drives over his head, touched the dirt, barely controlling his car and yeah with less than 10 to go, the guy your racing does not want to leave the door open for you into a corner at the Indianapolis 500.

This is the same guy (pato) that dove-bombed Dixon out of contention earlier this year too.

Now its ok to say you will put another guy into the wall (while possibly racing at over 200+)?!

Pato, stick it!!!

What a jerk. Threatening to put another driver into a wall… dude drives over his head, touched the dirt, barely controlling his car and yeah with less than 10 to go, the guy your racing does not want to leave the door open for you into a corner at the Indianapolis 500.

This is the same guy (pato) that dove-bombed Dixon out of contention earlier this year too.

Now its ok to say you will put another guy into the wall (while possibly racing at over 200+)?!

Pato, stick it!!!

When you make moves like he did at Long Beach and Indy you have to be able to live with both the good (vs. Dixon) and the bad (vs. Kirkwood and Ericsson). You can’t just send it into a turn and think it’s always going to wind up your way out the other side.

Pato left the move so late Ericsson was already committed. At worst it was just a bad deal. This is the kind of thing that happens when you line them up with nose to tail with 10 laps left in the only race that matters. The desperation up and down the field was so intense we were lucky it wasn't worse.

When you make moves like he did at Long Beach and Indy you have to be able to live with both the good (vs. Dixon) and the bad (vs. Kirkwood and Ericsson). You can’t just send it into a turn and think it’s always going to wind up your way out the other side.
Tbh, i looked at it as a racing deal when it took place. Its the indy 500 and both wanted/needed that track position…

It just infuriates me that Pato is so easy to say he’d dump Marcus and “introduce him to the wall”

Just doesn’t sit well with me as I read his words. So Im throwing the hot take out there this morning…

I don't know, Pato is starting to come off as a little bit entitled to me.

Any given week, he's rolling out of the paddock in the best car on the grid, and it feels like he expects everybody to just part the seas for him.

Poor Ms. Matthews will now become a Donald Davidson trivia question! I loved her attitude. She was a really good sport about it.

Compared to the lawsuits they could have potentially been hit with had this gone really bad, a new car is pennies for the speedway.

I don't know, Pato is starting to come off as a little bit entitled to me.

Any given week, he's rolling out of the paddock in the best car on the grid, and it feels like he expects everybody to just part the seas for him.
He's already got F1 attitude, meaning "I can do no wrong."

Backing up, I've never seen Dixon criticize another driver, but after Long Beach he was clearly miffed at Pato. Pato wasn't backing down over it, when it was essentially a very late move and if there was anyone to blame I'de say it was 60/40 on him. Then Pato goes apesnit at Ericsson when it was just a 50/50 deal. When you jam a car into a gap at the last instant after the other guy is committed, it doesn't always go your way.

Pato would have done well both times to say "We'll talk about it and it will be fine." I don't like seeing this kind of animosity in a sport that can get you killed.

Check out the crowd reaction.

Flying-Tire.jpg

That is definitely and OH SH!T moment.

I have a friend that use to own a Race Super late Model that his son drove. We were sitting with him one night at a race and a tire came off a street stock and into a mostly empty section of grandstand, he told me, never walk with your back to the oncoming cars and since then I never do.

Back
Top Bottom