1985...and a racing legend is born.{or how a Georgia hick conquered Na

97forever

Team Owner
1985.A long time ago now.Must seem almost like the dark-ages to the young fans that have found Nascar WC racing since young Jeff Gordon and Earnhardt JR. came along!

But older fans will remember it as a transitional year on the circuit.A year that would produce one of Nascar's biggest ever superstars.And one of Nascar's most 'legislated'drivers of all time.

Bill Elliott had been around a while,winning his first race two years earlier,and 3 in '84,Elliott and his team were still getting the feel of the most dynamic racing vehicle stock car racing had ever seen:The still-new and awkward looking Ford 'aero'T-bird.

Easy to forget these days but this car pioneered the modern-era aero-design.[maybe with a nod to the winged and swept late sixties fords and mopars].If I am remembering correctly only a handful of Ford's even competed in Nascar WC at that time.

Chevy and their Bowtie brigade,led IMO by Darrell Waltrip at that time,were not used to outside-of -GM competition.Mopar was gone and only Ford with a small handful of cars stood between an all GM Nascar.But ol' Ford-lovin Bill was about to change all that.In a real big way.

The '85 t-bird Bill drove was only a couple of years into the design.Round and sleek,detractors would compare it to a 'jellybean'.And whether you loved the look or hated it:it was different.A stark contrast to the boxy GM cars that competed at the time.

With this new sleek design-and to the cries and protestations of the GM camp-Bill and engine builder and brother Ernie literally took Nascar by complete surprise.By the end of the year,Bill had won 11 times in his 'jellybean't-bird.Ford smashed Chevy and ended up with 50% of the wins that year....against ALL the GM brands combined.14 total wins for the T-bird and 11 of those by Bill!
And while Bill let the big prize,the title,slip thru his grip that year,he still made a huge impact.It is well documented elsewhere how he made amazing runs that year.Coming from laps down,becoming the first REAL superstar of the eighties.The poles and the wins were pretty impressive alone,but the way he just decimated the field was even more so.

I remember the interviews and debate in racing publications back then.Believe me,Gordon fans,Jeff has never been scrutinized like Bill was back then!And not just by the other drivers:Nascar itself spent much time and money taking Elliott's motors apart-and always coming up empty.To this very day,and if anyone knows please correct me,not ONE explanation was given by Nascar as to how excactly Bill managed this.How!How did this hillbilly so rattle the mighty GM stranglehold on Nascar....

Ironically,the best answer came from within the Chevy camp itself from Waddell Wilson,top Chevy engine builder.Car 'shape'[aero terms were still crude in 85]Wilson reasoned.The powerful but boxy Chevy's would fly down straightaways on the un-restricted superspeedways...and almost slam the brakes in the turns!Remember,these were shoe boxes by today's standards:wide open was more theory than practice.Until Bill and the t-bird.Waddell finally noticed that Waltrip had as much speed as Bill-until the corners approached.Darrell/Chevy would run almost as good as the 'bird...but would lose a ton of ground in the corners.Enough ground to give the 'Bird,and Bill quite an advantage.This was the theory that Wilson had anyway,and how valid it is I frankly don't know.Or really care.

Because when the year was over an old hurting Ford fan like me saw the GM guys sweat for a while.Bill had 11 wins and that seemed like it mattered a lot more from a fan perspective than the title did.Nascar searched and sought...and found nothing.Bill and his T-bird had kicked the Generals butt....and a legend really was born.
All of this is just my opinion,of course,but the facts and records for Bill stand.Nascar would stop his domination of course...couldn't have a Georgia hillbilly "a-stinkin'up th show"could we!lol

Most of the newer people to nascar have no idea just how great Bill has been in this sport. I ain't no Elliot fan but I have great respect for what he has done.:beerchug:

Nicely done 97.

The Elliotts were the designated NASCAR phenom of 1985 without doubt. It is very doubtful that we will ever see the dominace the #9 Thunderbird displayed that year again. The ability of the Elliott to accomplish this without significant input or support of Ford makes it even more impressive.

Some of things I remember hearing to explain the perfomance edge were stunning. Everything from moveable weight distribution systems to nitrous. One theory offered up the suggestion that the chassis had mercury concealed within the tubing and somehow the G forces relocated this weight as the car circulated the track and gave it a signifcant cornering advantage.

Don't ask me to explain exactly how that would work, cause I can't.

Very well said 97,

Those days are long gone in NASCAR though. :(

Teams today can't as much as use a different bolt it seems without NASCAR crying foul!

For the most part NASCAR is trying to keep it as competitive as posible but it sure would be nice to give the teams more flexibility to bring some of that innovation back!

I remeber in my younger days in the mid 80's each race it would always be Bill Elliott or Dale Earnhardt that would be the ones that everybody would be watching to see who would run good and win the race. Those where some great races to watch.

Boy oh boy, does that bring back good memories:loveya:

It also kind of hurt when they stopper the T-Bird and started with the Taurus.

NEVER:( have liked street fords since 19?? and the Merc Zephyr I bought died within warranty and Ford told me to shove it.

Still love AWESOME BILL:D :) :D :)

Great replay 97...of couse folks paying attention knew something was there a couple years earlier. Right?

Kat,

I told you, you've never driven one of my Fords...

Once Harry Melling and Coors lent their support to the Elliotts, the handwriting was on the wall. The team was good and would make their mark.

Still no one expected the explosive burst to national prominence that 1985 brought, not even the Elliotts. The other teams were so desparate to keep up with the flying bird that if you check the stats at the speedways for 1985, I'm betting that you'll an unusually high record of engine failures.

Windsor, you being an engine and Ford guy you may recall this.The legend in north Georgia where the Elliotts shop was located is that Ernie was so concerned that no one pass his secrets on, during certain phases of his engine building the engine room was off limits to everyone. That included everyone from his father George to the feller sweeping the floors.

I think your thinking of the small port cross sections that Ernie liked. It's evolved to todays standard NASCAR intake configuration...with a little help from Mr Yates. Take a look at our intake runner. Only 2.050 x 1.550 and flows 383cfm at 28" with a 2.150" valve on a 4.250 fixture...my how times have changed...with a few tweeks works at the Drag Strip too!

...I know, I know...gotta get a new avatar now....give me a day or two. Tomorrow is a party for my Daughter's Gymnastics team...

Nice!!

Wouldn't ya love to crawl around in Yate's brain for a day or two!

The thing that has always impressed me with Ernie's engines is the reliability. Don't have any stats, but just from memory not many of his mills go south even now.

He seems to be struggling with the MoPar though. Not from reliability, but I'm not convinced they are making the power that was expected.

Back
Top Bottom