2014 ABC Supply Milwaukee 250 at Milwaukee IndyFest

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
Long race name is long.

Schedule Of Events (all times local, CDT)
Friday 8/15

9:00AM-5:00PM Track Open (Grandstands open for complimentary viewing)
10:00AM-11:00 PM IndyLights Practice Session
11:15 AM -12:15 PM Pro Mazda Practice Session
1:45 PM- 3:15 PM IndyLights Practice Session
3:00 PM- 5:00PM Pro Mazda Practice Session

Saturday 8/16
7:30AM-9:00PM Track Open
9:00AM-9:45AM IndyLights Practice Session
10:00AM-11:00AM IndyCar Practice Session
10:30AM-9:00PM Coors Light Beer Garden Open [kev's note: now I know when to show up]
11:15AM-11:45AM Pro Mazda Practice Session
12:30PM-1:15PM IndyLights Practice Session
1:30PM-2:30PM IndyCar Practice Session
2:45PM-3:30PM Pro Mazda Qualifying
4:05PM-4:45PM IndyLights Qualifying
5:00PM-6:15PM IndyCar Qualifying
6:30PM-7:30PM Pro Mazda Race (100 laps)
7:30PM-8:30PM IndyCar Teams Pit Stop Challenge [kev's note: I went to this last year and it was a blast]

Sunday 8/17
7:30AM-7:00PM Track Open
12:00PM-1:00PM IndyLights Race (100 laps)
2:45PM-5:00PM IndyCar Race (250 laps)

Last edited:
Got this in the email. Who let Hinch and Newgarden on the flight deck of a 747?

-------------------

Skip work and bring the kids to meet James Hinchcliffe and Josef Newgarden at David Hobbs Honda, 6100 N. Green Bay, Glendale, WI.

This Friday Verizon IndyCar Series drivers James Hinchcliffe and Josef Newgarden will visit with fans at David Hobbs Honda-Official Dealer of Milwaukee IndyFest-from 2-4PM. Meet these two great (and funny!) young drivers in person before seeing them in action at IndyFest August 16-17!

Also get all your Honda merchandize at special discounted prices for this special event!

For Honda fans, we've got a special section of seats just for you! Join the H-BLOCK to sit with other Honda fans and free Honda SWAG with your purchase: http://bit.ly/1qDIoq4

Reactions: JW1
I should also email my Verizon PR guy and ask if/where Power will be around. He usually does autograph sessions at like 4-5 Verizon stores in the area.

The more I think about it, the more I think that pic with Hinch and Newgarden was the space shuttle and not a Boeing 747.

Sounds like you are having a great time. I hope you are. I wish I could be there with you. I am only about 5-6 hours away and I would like to scratch that race off of my bucket list. But, I am still recuperating from my trip to the St. Pete and Indy races. So, maybe next year. Hopefully I can hit the Detroit races, too. Have a great time. And to anyone else who are going!!

Did you know that the 1912 Vanderbilt Cup / American Grand Prize race (precursor to the United States Grand Prix) was held in Milwaukee?

MilwaukeeVanderbiltCup_1000.jpg

More racing at the Mile in 1937. Wasn't paved until the 1950s.

10599532_703646356338460_5185850701108341903_n.png

Midget race in the early 1960s

midgetsatMilwaukeemile.jpg

Ward Leed at the Milwaukee Mile in an IndyCar, 1960

Milwaukee1960.jpg

1962 race... what would you call these? Modifieds? For a while after it was paved, there was a quarter-mile dirt track bullring set up in the infield as well.

B80[1].JPG

IndyCar Race at the Milwaukee Mile (then called USAC Champ Car) in 1965. Parnelli Jones won. AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Al Unser, Gordon Johncock, Johnny Rutherford and others were in the field.

russlake_story2.jpg

Even stock cars were allowed on the Mile. USAC Stock Car race from 1970. NASCAR Nationwide would race there from 1984-2009 until a dispute over unpaid sanctioning fees led to Road America getting the Mile's date.

27f9a1970_milw_253.jpg

Gordon Johncock at the Mile 1980.
Billie_Harvey_Milwaukee_6-80.jpg

I wanna go to the Big Car Race!

aj+foyt+milwaukee+mile+1960+program.jpg

Two legends of the USAC stock car division in that 1970 photo. Roger McCluskey (1) and Don White (3) won two championships each in the series. Of course, open-wheel fans who are history buffs (or old enough to remember that era) probably recognize McCluskey's name.

Two legends of the USAC stock car division in that 1970 photo. Roger McCluskey (1) and Don White (3) won two championships each in the series. Of course, open-wheel fans who are history buffs (or old enough to remember that era) probably recognize McCluskey's name.
Yeah, I know McCluskey's name from watching old Indy 500s on YouTube. I think when Mario had his bad accident at LeMans, McCluskey stopped his car and pulled Mario from the flaming wreckage.

IndyCar Race at the Milwaukee Mile (then called USAC Champ Car) in 1965. Parnelli Jones won. AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Al Unser, Gordon Johncock, Johnny Rutherford and others were in the field.

every one of these drivers now would be called bullies and ringers crossed over and also raced in Nascar which at the time wasn't the big dog like USAC was. Foyt raced 34 years in Nascar. I didn't realize he ran for that long. Looks like a big Offy 4 banger in the 4 car.

Yeah, I know McCluskey's name from watching old Indy 500s on YouTube. I think when Mario had his bad accident at LeMans, McCluskey stopped his car and pulled Mario from the flaming wreckage.

Spot on, sir.

The first automobile race held at the Milwaukee Mile was on September 11, 1903. (Almost) 101 years ago! William Jones set the first track record at 72 seconds.

In 1907 and 1908, the Mile hosted 24-hour endurance races (!), in addition to the aforementioned 1912 running of the Vanderbilt Cup / United States Grand Prize.

Former winners of the IndyCar race at the Milwaukee Mile include a literal "who's who" of the history of open-wheel racing:

Rodger Ward
AJ Foyt
Jim Clark
Parnelli Jones
Gordon Johncock
Mario Andretti
Al Unser
Bobby Unsner
Johnny Rutherford
Wally Dallenbach, Sr.
Rick Mears
Michael Andretti
Al Unser, Jr.
Nigel Mansell
Greg Moore
Paul Tracy
Jimmy Vasser
Juan Pablo Montoya
Sebastien Bourdais
Ryan Hunter Reay
Dario Franchitti
Sam Hornish, Jr.
Tony Kanaan
Scott Dixon

Did you hear about the merger between Carpenter and Sarah Fisher racing next year? Carpenter announced it in his interview during qualifying. A Honda and a Chevy team, wonder how that is going to work?

The track was sunny and hot all day yesterday except during like a 15 min window when clouds blocked the sun and everything cooled down for a bit all the fast times were set.

My pick to win today is Montoya. Dark Horse is Newgarden. If Kimball or Rahal win I'm running down Greenfield Avenue naked.

It rained overnight so should be a mostly green race track for the race today. There is IndyLights at noon but I don't think the tire compounds are compatible.

Last edited:
The track was sunny and hot all day yesterday except during like a 15 min window when clouds blocked the sun and everything cooled down for a bit all the fast times were set.

My pick to win today is Montoya. Dark Horse is Newgarden. If Kimball or Rahal win I'm running down Greenfield Avenue naked.

It rained overnight so should be a mostly green race track for the race today. There is IndyLights at noon but I don't think the tire compounds are compatible.
Yeah, right!! And after I pick Pagenaud, he says he hates this track and can't win. Just my luck!! :D

Now they say RHR is staying with Andretti. What a relief for Andretti, right?

Dominant weekend by Power, exactly what he needed.

I wish they had shown Newgarden getting past Briscoe on the final lap.

Good for Will Power. I sure hope he wins the championship. He has had such tough luck over the years. 1st and 2nd for Penske. It is great that Newgarden did so well, too. What a wonderful race. I truly enjoyed it!!

"excitement " racin god musta been on vacation this weekend.
1st....michigan.......then this.
most boring indy race this yr.........hello sonoma !

or have i just been spoiled....w/ road / street courses ? :D

Back
Top Bottom