All times above are listed in LOCAL Time

PRACTICE & QUALIFYING
Dates / Times / TV coverage

(times in eastern time)
  • Practices:
    Friday, March 14, 12:00 - 1:30 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Saturday, March 15, 9:00 - 9:50 am/et, TV-FS1
  • Happy Hour 'Final' practice: Saturday, March 15, 12:00 - 1:00 pm/et, TV-FS2
  • Qualifying: groups for positions 1-36, Friday, March 14 at 4:35 pm/et, TV-FS1, no re-air scheduled.

Qualifying: groups for positions 1-36, Friday, March 14 at 4:35 pm/et, TV-FS1, no re-air scheduled.

Figured qualifying was worth mentioning a second time. If you can't watch it live then set the DVR..... This one is more than likely 'Must See TV'.

How about some good race recon reports from those of you going this weekend?

I'm quite bummed leading into this race. First Bristol race that we've not gone to in a long, long time. :( We are taking at least this year off of going to Bristol for some family related events. Even though it's a major PITA to get the RV outta the snow and ice to go to what is normally our first race of the season, it's always been worth the time spent.

For those of you going, have a great time!

Always an interesting read for those that like the history of this sport.....

Highlighted some of the standouts from today's active drivers. A lot of history made at this track by today's field of drivers.

Bristol News & Notes:
• Groundbreaking for Bristol International Speedway, as Bristol Motor Speedway was originally known, took place in 1960. The track was an exact half-mile in length.
• First NASCAR Sprint Cup race was July 30, 1961; Jack Smith won the event (with relief from Johnny Allen).
• In the fall of 1969, the track was reshaped and re-measured to .533-miles.
• The name changed to Bristol International Raceway in 1978.
• The first night race was held in the fall of 1978.
• The surface was changed from asphalt to concrete in 1992.
• The name changed to Bristol Motor Speedway in May 1996.
• The track was resurfaced between races in 2007, and the turns were ground down in 2012 to eliminate part of the progressive banking.
• There have been 106 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Bristol Motor Speedway since the first race in 1961, two races each season.
• All races have been scheduled for 500 laps, except for both races in 1976 and the second in '77, which were 400 laps.
• 423 drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Bristol; 295 in more than one.
• NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Bristol with 60. Terry Labonte leads all active drivers with 58 starts.
• Fred Lorenzen won the inaugural Coors Light Pole with a speed of 79.225 mph.
47 different drivers have poles at Bristol, led by Mark Martin and Cale Yarborough with nine each. Martin swept both poles at Bristol in 2009.
• The race winner has started from the pole 22 times, the most productive starting position. The last driver to win from the pole was Carl Edwards, in the night race of 2008.
• Four drivers have won from the pole position multiple times: Bobby Allison (1972 twice), Cale Yarborough (1973, 1977 twice, 1980), Darrell Waltrip (1981 twice, 1982) and Rusty Wallace (1991, 1993, 1999, 2000).
• 10 different drivers have posted consecutive poles at Bristol Motor Speedway; Mark Martin is the only of the 10 to win four consecutive poles at Bristol: Fireball Roberts (swept 1962), Fred Lorenzen (swept 1963), Richard Petty (1967-'68), Bobby Allison (swept 1972), Cale Yarborough (swept 1973; swept 1977; swept 1980), Darrell Waltrip (swept 1981), Geoff Bodine (swept 1986), Mark Martin (swept 1995-1996- all four races; and swept 2009); Rusty Wallace (swept 1998) and Jeff Gordon (swept 2002).
Jeff Gordon leads (active drivers) the series in average starting position at Bristol with a 7.476.
• 41 different drivers have won at Bristol, led by Darrell Waltrip (12). Kurt Busch, Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch each have five wins, the most among active drivers.
• Junior Johnson leads the series in car owner wins at Bristol with 16; Rick Hendrick, Roger Penske and Jack Roush are tied among active car owners for the most wins at Bristol with 10 each.
• 12 drivers have won consecutive races at Bristol led by Darrell Waltrip with seven consecutive victories from 1981-1984. The other 11 are Fred Lorenzen (1963-1964 sweep), David Pearson (1968 sweep), Bobby Allison (1972 sweep), Cale Yarborough did it twice (1974 sweep and four straight from 1976-1977), Richard Petty (1975 sweep), Dale Earnhardt also did it twice (1985 sweep and 1987 sweep), Alan Kulwicki (1992 sweep), Rusty Wallace (2000 sweep), Kurt Busch (2003 sweep and 2004 spring race), Kyle Busch (2009 sweep), and Brad Keselowski (2011 fall-2012 spring).
• Eight different manufacturers have won in the NSCS at Bristol; led by Chevrolet with 43 victories; followed by Ford with 33. Toyota is ranked fifth among Manufacturers with six wins at Bristol.
• 85 of the 106 (80.1%) races have been won from a top-10 starting position; including 53 from the first four spots.
• 35 of the 106 (33.0%) races at Bristol have been won from the front row: Pole position (22 wins); second-place (13 wins).
• Five of the 106 (4.7%) races have been won from a starting position outside the top 20.
The deepest in the field that a race winner has started was 38th, by Elliott Sadler; in 2001.
• Richard Petty leads the series in runner-up finishes at Bristol with 10; Kevin Harvick and Terry Labonte lead all active drivers with four each.
• Darrell Waltrip and Richard Petty lead the series in top-five finishes at Bristol with 26 each. Terry Labonte leads the series among active drivers with 19 followed by Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin (16).
• Richard Petty has 37 top-10 finishes, more than any other driver. Terry Labonte leads the series among active drivers in top-10 finishes with 33; followed by Jeff Gordon with 23.
Kyle Busch leads the series (active drivers) in average finish at Bristol with a 9.889.
• Seven of the last nine races have ended with a Margin of Victory of less than a second at BMS.
• There has been three green-white-checkered finishes at Bristol - all three were the spring race: 2007 (500/504); 2008 (500/506); 2009 (500/503).
• Two of the 106 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Bristol Motor Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions; the most recent was the event on 3/31/1996.
• Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Motor Speedway three times; most recently August 25, 2012.
Kurt Busch posted his first series career win at Bristol (2002), and Joey Logano won his first pole at Bristol (2010).
• All 15 active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers who have won at Bristol Motor Speedway participated in at least two or more races before visiting Victory Lane - among the active winners Kurt Busch won in the fewest starts (third) at Bristol.
Jeff Burton competed at Bristol Motor Speedway 28 times before winning (2008 spring race); the longest span of any the 15 active winners. Burton is the only active driver to have made 20 or more attempts before his first win at BMS. Kasey Kahne, who won in the spring of 2012 made 18 previous starts before his win at BMS.
Bobby Labonte leads the series (active drivers) with the most NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts at Bristol without visiting Victory Lane with 42.
• Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol was the 3/25/2007 race won by Kyle Busch with a MOV of 0.064 second.(NASCAR)(3-11-2014)

Last edited:
Alright! It's time for some short track racing! Bumping and grinding, temper flaring, helmets flying! It's going to be great!

This will rock. Lets hope the front markers dont collide with a slower call during qualifying

I hope to see NASCAR implement a 'No Tape' policy this week for Bristol's qualifying. If that is all it takes to keep these cars cooler than do it.

Odds to win the Food City 500 – 2014 Food City 500 – Bristol Motor Speedway – Sunday, March 16

Kyle Busch 6/1

Brad Keselowski 7/1

Jimmie Johnson 7/1

Matt Kenseth 7/1

Kevin Harvick 7/1

Kasey Kahne 8/1

Dale Earnhardt Jr 8/1

Joey Logano 12/1

Jeff Gordon 12/1

Denny Hamlin 12/1

Ryan Newman 20/1

Clint Bowyer 20/1

Carl Edwards 20/1

Kurt Busch 25/1

Tony Stewart 30/1

Martin Truex Jr 40/1

Greg Biffle 40/1

Brian Vickers 50/1

Ricky Stenhouse 100/1

Austin Dillon 100/1

Jamie McMurray 100/1

Paul Menard 100/1

Kyle Larson 100/1

Aric Almirola 300/1

Marcos Ambrose 300/1

Casey Mears 500/1

AJ Allmendinger 500/1

Justin Allgaier 500/1

Danica Patrick 500/1

Field (Any Other Driver) 500/1

No, that's just Slice and Fender bumpin and grinding over that Logano fellow. I don't think there's anyone that wants to witness that. I think I'm safe in saying that I speak for the entire racing-fourms member association. ;)
YEP.

I can't wait to see if the new height rules and the new spoiler help make the racing at Bristol more competitive.

It used to be my favorite track, but the past few races there have been brutal. The new rules/packages have made racing a lot better so far this year than last so I hope that continues here.

Kurt is 25/1

I have to work until 4:45. I will miss 15 minutes, probably closer to 30 minutes. sigh
You'll be good. I've realized that Bristol is a lot like plate racing now due to how fragile these cars are. Everyone wants to keep their cars clean for 3/4 of the race & stay in one groove. With 50 laps to go you'll see some serious ****

You'll be good. I've realized that Bristol is a lot like plate racing now due to how fragile these cars are. Everyone wants to keep their cars clean for 3/4 of the race & stay in one groove. With 50 laps to go you'll see some serious ****

I'm sorry, I meant for qualifying. I will miss some of qualifying. I think it will be so exciting.

ya cant handicap this race..its sooo unpredictable. I find it more than a plate track. A driver can get caught in anothers mess easily.

This track seems to agitate drivers...helmets get thrown..etc....wonder why?

Kurt is 25/1

I have to work until 4:45. I will miss 15 minutes, probably closer to 30 minutes. sigh
Considering Kurt's record at Bristol, those odds seem a bit long. Might be a good bet for the gambling types.

ya cant handicap this race..its sooo unpredictable. I find it more than a plate track. A driver can get caught in anothers mess easily.

This track seems to agitate drivers...helmets get thrown..etc....wonder why?

Why ?" That slow son-of-@#$!& won't get out of my way. " thats the general attitude by the end on sunday.

Why ?" That slow son-of-@#$!& won't get out of my way. " thats the general attitude by the end on sunday.

Are these cars really as fragile as people say? I remember the 80s when you could beat and bang on a cars bumper all day without problem...

Are these cars really as fragile as people say? I remember the 80s when you could beat and bang on a cars bumper all day without problem...
They also weren't running the speeds that they are today. With speed comes aero importance. A lap @ Bristol in the mid 80's was probably 15 or 20 mph slower than that of today. That being said, they still get some pretty sad looking vehicles turning laps at the end of the day @ Bristol.

They also weren't running the speeds that they are today. With speed comes aero importance. A lap @ Bristol in the mid 80's was probably 15 or 20 mph slower than that of today. That being said, they still get some pretty sad looking vehicles turning laps at the end of the day @ Bristol.
Kinda like Kasey Kahne's car a couple of years ago?
2012_bristol_march_nscs_race_kasey_kahne_back_on_track.jpg

Is it wrong to like a race where there is lots of contact? Sometimes I feel that we as lovers of the sport that is racing jump all over folks who like a little contact. I am not a wreck lover, But something to be said for some contact and a driver that can fight through it.

Someone correct me,...there was a race..dont remember the spot...I think it was between Terry L and Dale SR...they crashed into each other all through the last lap and right until over the finish line.....neither driver wrecked but darn..it was exciting!

We frown upon those who watch racing for the wrecks, but everyone likes to see a little rubbin. Short track racing at it's finest.

It was at Bristol, I believe it was '96 when Terry smacked the wall as he took the checkered flag. That race was legendary.

I was wrong, it was '95...

And I believe it was '97 or '98 when Earnhardt "rattled his cage" and stole the win from Terry

Back
Top Bottom