2015 IndyCar Aero Kits

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
http://racer.com/indycar/item/107241-honda-2015-aero-kits-will-surprise

Honda seems pretty pumped about them. I thought they would just add a widget here or there but sounds like the two manfacturers will look radically different.

I think it might end up being a deal like the Prototype classes in Tudor where they have kind of a similar overall look but individually look very different.

"When you see what the aero kits look like in person, you're going to be surprised how open the rules are," he said. "The target of having distinction between a Chevy car and a Honda car is going to be achieved because it's so open on the rules that you're going to see quite a bit of variation between the cars.

"I think you'll end up in a sports car situation where people are going to be looking at all the little details on the car, and it's going to generate quite a bit of interest."

I've been looking forward to them ever since they started running the new chassis. It'll be interesting to see which manufacturer can get a leg up on which configurations.

I hope they will be a bit more(okay a lot more) aesthetically pleasing than the current chassis, while maintaining the amazing quality of racing we have seen the last couple years..

I hope they will be a bit more(okay a lot more) aesthetically pleasing than the current chassis, while maintaining the amazing quality of racing we have seen the last couple years..
I like how the current cars look!

I like how the current cars look!

They've grown on me a bit but the rear pods don't do a damn thing when another car hits them at speed. It will still rain Indycars.. Fix that or those got to go... And I still don't like the sidepod fins... The cars look sick from above, not so from right next to them.. Jmo.

I like the short oval and road course/street course bodies.

If one aero kit works significantly better, teams will abandon the other brand and we will be back to one manufacturer.

If one aero kit works significantly better, teams will abandon the other brand and we will be back to one manufacturer.
It sounds like they get to submit a certain number of new parts for homologation each year so that shouldn't be an issue.

The contract between Honda, Chevy and IndyCar say that they can only supply engines for a certain percentage of the field. Back when it was Chevy, Honda and Lotus, one manufacturer could only supply engines to 40% of the field. It's different now that Lotus has dropped out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 60%.

I remember when Honda and GM (Olds Aurora brand) were competing and everyone went to Honda. I don't remember for sure but I think there were two chassis at the time too and Dallara survived.

I remember when Honda and GM (Olds Aurora brand) were competing and everyone went to Honda. I don't remember for sure but I think there were two chassis at the time too and Dallara survived.
It didn't really happen like that. Chevrolet and Toyota left the series. The Hondas were the best at the time but Chevrolet and Toyota bailed rather than rework their programs.

Anyone think these aero kits will entice some other manufacturers into the series. The unique looks of each car and the popularity of the Indy 500 makes me think companies like Mazda, Audi and Nissan may want to take a chance going forward.

Anyone think these aero kits will entice some other manufacturers into the series. The unique looks of each car and the popularity of the Indy 500 makes me think companies like Mazda, Audi and Nissan may want to take a chance going forward.

I don't think so, full bodied stock cars do that. The benefit from a series like Indycar or F1 is the name on the engine.

NASCAR went to a common aero template to keep the brands equal. I think aero kits for Indycar is a bad idea, one will be better.

One thing that I found really interesting about going to that IMSA race at Road America last Sunday was how many people still love cars, brands, uniqueness. The reason I bring this up was how different the crowd was for the Indy race at Milwaukee yesterday. I would sacrifice the great racing we have now for innovation because I think that would bring back those fans (IMSA fans) that probably jetted this series as soon as it became a low horsepower spec series.

Indy was popular because it was about pushing the envelope. Will aero kits save it? No, of course not. But at least it's something.

When I was a kid I only liked race cars that looked like something from the showroom. As I got older and started to appreciate open wheel cars as they did away with the bodies to make the cars go faster. Once aspect I like about F1 is that the teams design their bodies/chassis so they have unique looks. But that would be expensive for Indycar to do. I think the problem these days is how to balance a good show (the race) with technical promotion from manufacturers.

The series is in the final stages of revising the development plan for aero kits to allow manufacturers more flexibility in the way they are permitted to introduce updates. Under the original rules, once the aero kits had been homologated, the specification would have remained fixed until an update window opened at the end of the year. However, with the kits expected to deliver a substantial performance upgrade, the series is looking at options to allow the same degree of change over a broader window of time.

As the accompanying images show, the "boxes" that are open for aero kitdevelopment are substantial. Any change to the update schedule will come at the request of the manufacturers, and will act as a safety net in the event that one manufacturer's kit proves to be at a measureable disadvantage when they are first rolled out.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/107537-indycar-could-open-up-aero-kit-rules

Chevy looks noticeably different so far, especially the front wing with its new elements.

AK_Screengrab_2-4057-640-450-80-c.jpg

AK_Screengrab_1-4056-640-450-80-c.jpg

AK_Screengrab_3-4058-640-450-80-c.jpg

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/109869-indycar-chevy-aero-kit-breaks-cover-at-cota

Chevy and Honda submitted their aero kit designs for homologation Sunday night, completing an intense process that first came to light in 2010. With their proverbial homework now handed into the Verizon IndyCar Series, taking a break to catch their breath would be a welcome change, but in reality, the Jan. 18 homologation deadline wasn't a stopping point – it was a brief moment to lift off the throttle before powering onto the next task.

"We're on track from that standpoint," Chevy IndyCar program manager Chris Berube told RACER. "In fact, we were intending to submit a couple days early so that we had some time to react if there were any issues."

Honda Performance Development vice president Steve Eriksen says every available minute was used to solidify their aero kit design.

"If we had more time, we would use it from the standpoint of it's the typical aero story: You use every last moment you can because every day, on average, you find something," he added. "Yeah, if we could, we'd continuously develop just like we did on the ARX sports car program in the heyday of the Acura sports car program.

"It was nonstop development and then you'd be implementing parts continuously. But given the openness of the aero kit rules – which, as our Wirth Research friends tell us are more open than Formula 1 – is a daunting prospect because, well, how much money do you have to spend?"

Eriksen has been a proponent of establishing a homologation table akin to the system used to govern IndyCar's annual engine upgrades. With specific items allowed to be modified at different intervals – some items each year, and others every two or three years – it keeps the costs under some semblance of control.

The concept wasn't ratified by the series, so for now, Chevy and Honda will press ahead with their homologated aero kits and look to update the areas that remain open for optimizing after the kits debut at Round 2 in St. Petersburg.

Full article: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/1...for-homologation_112620?showall=1&limitstart=

The racing quality will never be what it was the last three years. With that said, without innovation this sport just stays as a GP3. Now they may be able to attract sportscar fans, new manufacturers, etc..

This is exactly the direction IndyCar needed to go.

It will be interesting to see how the aero wars will pan out. But I'm concerned that one package will dominate and domination tends to cause manufacturers to leave.

I don't think there will be domination. Tracks are not cookie cutters like F1 so there will be opportunity to be better at one end of the track and give up something at the other at most of these street circuits.

Back
Top Bottom