2016 Adu Dhabi Grand Prix

Get That 88 Up There !!

Love United Hate Glazer
image.jpeg
Haven't done one of this threads in a while, but since it's the last GP of the season I decided to do one.

It was over three years ago when I watched the Monaco GP which got me back into F1. The winner of that race, Nico became my favorite after that and I have supported him since then and I hope on Sunday he will become World Champion, it would be very satisfying.

Red Bull strategy made no sense. They could have kept Ricciardo out many laps longer in clean air, and with Verstappen ahead of Rosberg holding him up, Ricciardo could have come out in second.

Should still be interesting. Lots of pressure on Rosberg.

This would be a completely different race if Red Bull strategy for Ricciardo was sensible and not just downright bizarre. They qualify on the harder tire to give him a longer initial run and potential one stop strategy. Then they end up pitting twice quicker than anyone else.

This would be a completely different race if Red Bull strategy for Ricciardo was sensible and not just downright bizarre. They qualify on the harder tire to give him a longer initial run and potential one stop strategy. Then they end up pitting twice quicker than anyone else.
Ricardo would most likely be in the lead, it didn't make any sense

Is Hamilton now trying to slow down and back Rosberg up into the Red Bull cars?

Glad Hamilton didnt get the championship, especially with the stunt he tried today.

Glad Hamilton didnt get the championship, especially with the stunt he tried today.

I don't think it's unprecedented in this environment. He was expected to do it to some extent, much to the chagrin of his team. As far as I'm concerned, with Mercedes having both titles easily locked up, there was no reason to issue team orders. Hamilton tried everything he could but didn't resort to anything dumb or truly dishonorable like force contact and see what happens. Rosberg withstood the challenge and is a deserving champ.

I just hope the new regulations next year result in the cars being more closely matched, because it's kind of silly to watch the leader of the race putt around as slow as he can and still nobody else can really challenge him.

Glad Hamilton gave Mercedes the bird, never seen such blatant disrespect and treatment of one of the greatest drivers ever. He should come to NASCAR

Glad Hamilton gave Mercedes the bird, never seen such blatant disrespect and treatment of one of the greatest drivers ever. He should come to NASCAR

That would be great, I would love to see him competing against more than one car for the championship. Seeing him getting his ass kicked routinly would be a great thing to watch.

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed that race somewhat. It was interesting to watch the different strategies play out. As some of y'all said, Red Bull's strategy with my man Ricciardo made absolutely no sense. Hamilton's shenanigans at the end kept things interesting, and I'm glad he disobeyed the team orders. I was hoping Vettel would make a little more noise than he did, but it was cool to see him charging up through there at the end.

I hope the new rules enable the other teams to get their act together next season.

Can somebody explain the whole "backing up the field" concept to me? Was he just running slower to allow 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc to catch up and get grouped together just to then take off and run normal speed and leave those guys to race amongst themselves?

Can somebody explain the whole "backing up the field" concept to me? Was he just running slower to allow 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc to catch up and get grouped together just to then take off and run normal speed and leave those guys to race amongst themselves?
That was the plan, yes - to get everyone bunched up so that Rosberg would have to fight off everyone else and would potentially lose spots in the process. By that point in the race, it was pretty much Hamilton's only shot at winning the title.

For Hamilton to win the championship, he had to win and have Rosberg finish fourth or worse. If he would have simply driven off into the distance, he would have effectively conceded the title. He was slowing the pace to slow Rosberg in second and allow the other cars to pressure him and perhaps pass him. It was his only chance.

It may seem to be questionable tactics from a sporting perspective, but I sorta think all's fair at this level short of wrecking someone. It's not like Hamilton wasn't trying to win the race. It has happened many times before, and Senna and Schumacher both pulled crazier antics in the '90s in final race championship battle situations.

Makes sense. Thanks guys! I meant to watch this one but totally spaced in thinking it was next weekend.

Makes sense. Thanks guys! I meant to watch this one but totally spaced in thinking it was next weekend.
Yeah, I was looking for it on TV last weekend. :lol2:

I don't normally watch F1, but I've been playing the video game, which has gotten me into it somewhat.

Aww yeah too bad Hamilton didn't feel pressured by team orders and laid down like a chump. Aren't you tired of this in NASCAR? You want more of the same on other series? Stick with NASCAR then.

Aww yeah too bad Hamilton didn't feel pressured by team orders and laid down like a chump. Aren't you tired of this in NASCAR? You want more of the same on other series? Stick with NASCAR then.

He was intentionally slowing down his teammate. I would have liked to seen him walled for the stunt.

He was intentionally slowing down his teammate. I would have liked to seen him walled for the stunt.

He was intentionally slowing down the guy he was racing against for the championship. Seems like racing to me. Nothing dirty about it, um like intentionally running wide forcing someone off the track to avoid an overtake...

35E8D6E600000578-3672357-image-a-71_1467555528215.jpg

He was intentionally slowing down the guy he was racing against for the championship. Seems like racing to me. Nothing dirty about it, um like intentionally running wide forcing someone off the track to avoid an overtake...

This is no worse than what the NASCAR boys do on pit road. Always slowing down to get lane restart preference.

By my count Rosberg crashed Hamilton twice this year. One from the picture you posted and the other one in China when he took them both out.

Back
Top Bottom