2017 All Star Race Format

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...board-for-event-charlotte-motor-speedway.html

The race format is as follows:

• The race will feature four stages (20 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), totaling 70 laps, an ode to the 1992 edition of the same distance.

• The goal for all competitors: Earn a spot in the final 10-lap, 10-car stage.

• The winner of each of the first three stages will lock up a spot in the final stage, as long as they remain on the lead lap after the third stage.

• The cars with the best average finish in the first three stages will make up the remaining spots needed to fill the 10-car final stage.

• The remaining 10 cars will be lined up by average finish of the first three stages and given the option to pit. Exit off pit road determines starting order for final stage.

• The winner will be awarded $1,000,000.
Crew chief strategy has been at a premium throughout this season, and that won't change in the All-Star Race thanks to a unique opportunity granted each team: A coveted set of softer tires. Each team will have one set of these tires available to use at their discretion. A softer tire provides the car with more grip and, thus, speed. In other words, it's a game-changer. But there's a catch: Teams that choose to put on their softer tires to start the final stage must start behind those that choose regular tires.

Crew chief strategy has been at a premium throughout this season, and that won't change in the All-Star Race thanks to a unique opportunity granted each team: A coveted set of softer tires. Each team will have one set of these tires available to use at their discretion. A softer tire provides the car with more grip and, thus, speed. In other words, it's a game-changer.

Forget the rest of the format, this really is a game-changer. We haven't had multiple tire compounds within a race since the tire-wars of the 1990's.

I wonder if the option tire is an experiment for the regular season.

I thought that too, but then I remembered Goodyear hasn't even signed an extension for next season as of now.

I thought that too, but then I remembered Goodyear hasn't even signed an extension for next season as of now.
I think much of that is because NASCAR had so much more on their plate with finding a title sponsor for the past couple of years. If they went with an entirely new tire constructor right now I would be really surprised considering how little time they would have for R&D/testing.

I wonder if the option tire is an experiment for the regular season.
Gods, I hope not. I'm not a fan of multiple tire compounds in other series, esp. when it's mandated that each different one must be used. It won't run me off like expanding plate racing will, but I'd prefer to not see it.

Otherwise, I don't care what gimmicks NASCAR pulls out of its orifice for this year's blivit. I was hoping they'd use this to test the infield, but I guess not.

Last edited:
Bring back the pit crew challenge!
And while you're at it, bring it back to Rockingham!

I spent many a happy late fall, post-Busch-race afternoon watching the pit crew challenge, anxiously waiting to see how many loose lug nuts or leftover gas a team would be penalized for. Good times, man; good times.

Gods, I hope not. I'm not a fan of multiple tire compounds in other series, esp. when it's mandated that each different one must be used. It won't run me off like expanding plate racing will, but I'd prefer to not see it.

Otherwise, I don't care what gimmicks NASCAR pulls out of its orifice for this year's blivit. I was hoping they'd use this to test the infield, but I guess not.
At least there aren't five...mercifully.

Love it! Really happy that they made the final pit stop optional instead of mandatory!

I like they moved "The Open" back to Saturday night before the All-Star race. There always seemed to be a buzz from the drivers and the crowd as they fought to get into the race in front of a bigger crowd. The Friday runnings were flat, no excitement.

Ain’t nuttin’ like way-cool, awesome wrecks ta put butts in the seats ‘n pull higher ratin’s for next year.

Am lookin' forward to qualifying.

The rest sounds like a preview of more gimmicks for the '18 regular season.

I like they moved "The Open" back to Saturday night before the All-Star race. There always seemed to be a buzz from the drivers and the crowd as they fought to get into the race in front of a bigger crowd. The Friday runnings were flat, no excitement.
Me too, my son and I are going to the All Star race, as of this moment, neither of our favorite drivers are in it.

I absolutely love the multiple tire compound strategy potential not only for Charlotte but (hopefully) for 2018. My favorite aspect of F1 is the tire strategy and this could be an excellent addition to NASCAR. Top marks for whomever had the guts to suggest and implement this.

Obviously people will complain but that's nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom