2017 Australian Grand Prix

Get That 88 Up There !!

Love United Hate Glazer
Time once again everyone for the start of the F1 season. Hoping for a great season, and hopefully these new cars can make it a little better. Because of the retirement of Nico, Go Riccardo and Ferrari !!!

261895.jpg

I've been a Ferrari fan since 1963, so I have endured some dry spells along the way. I'm not a fan of the recently departed formula, and not optimistic for the new one, but willing to approach it with an open mind and be convinced. I am encouraged for the longer term by the return of Ross Brawn. I also think ownership by an operating company like Liberty, as opposed to a financial one like CVC, is the right path. We'll see...

Hi guys, usually on the NASCAR board but have a question for yas. I followed F1 pretty seriously in the 90s but have only had a casual view of it since. Being from Canada I've had my interest renewed somewhat by the new of my fellow countryman Lance Stroll being the first Canadian since Villeneuve to compete in the series.

What's the general view of the guy?

Is the Williams a competitive car these days?

Thanks

Don't know anything about Lance but Williams is a midpack team. Last year they finished the manufacturers championship in 5th place behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Force India.

Don't know anything about Lance but Williams is a midpack team. Last year they finished the manufacturers championship in 5th place behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Force India.
Thanks.

DVR set for the first practices. My goal this year is for Haas to get 2 podiums.
Hopefully they can get a start like they did last year. Can't wait to see cars on track.

Never heard of Stroll, but good luck to him.

Hi guys, usually on the NASCAR board but have a question for yas. I followed F1 pretty seriously in the 90s but have only had a casual view of it since. Being from Canada I've had my interest renewed somewhat by the new of my fellow countryman Lance Stroll being the first Canadian since Villeneuve to compete in the series.

Thanks
18 yrs old from Montreal,won F3 championship last year, not sure how good the team he drives for is. As a Canadian I will definitely watch to see how he does in his F1 debut.

Sent from my PLT7100G using Tapatalk

Thanks
His dad has a ton of money and definitely helped him get to where he is. He's won a championship in each of the past three years but he's also had a lot more engineering and testing help along the way. Someone at Williams actually said he's coming into F1 with more testing experience before their debut since Villeneuve himself. He binned a lot of cars during preseason testing so we'll see what he's really made of. Williams are a solid midpack team that have the capability to get on the podium at times.

Ferrari is close, the future is bright.

Grosjean P6, Giovinazzi looked very impressive as well.

:punkrocke

Bottas came to play. He was an actual threat for the pole. He messed up on the last couple of corners. Gave them tires a good smokin'.

I'm a casual fan. I'm hoping for a more competitive season. And I'm looking to see how Haas does in their second season (qualified 6th).

Bottas came to play. He was an actual threat for the pole. He messed up on the last couple of corners. Gave them tires a good smokin'.

He did better than I was expecting. Switching teams takes a little time to settle in from, but he's up to speed pretty quickly.

I don't think we can tell much from today. We still don't know how the cars will race each other wheel to wheel. My suspicion is that with the extra downforce they will disturb each other's air more and that will make following and overtaking more difficult. They will probably have to rely more on DRS, and if they are allowed to chop, block, swerve, and generally drive like little heathens, DRS is useless.

DRS is the easy way to pass, which is why drivers rely on it so much. Unfortunately you can defeat it very easily with a cheap swerve block. Instead of piling on the downforce, I would have rather seen them cut downforce (so they race in cleaner air), keep the big tires (so they have grip), ditch DRS and remove the "one move (swerve)" rule. That way they would have to race for it instead of pushing buttons or blocking.

The big danger of DRS is that it's the only chance you have, so you've got to go for it. The car ahead is defenseless, so he's forced it break the following car's momentum. With the closing rates so high, it's only a matter of time before one of them misjudges it and we have someone running over someone else's wheel at terminal velocity. We very nearly had that last year with Verstappen on Kimmi, though in fairness, the ridiculous rules allow that.

Let's hope it goes better than that though, and the wider tires will allow them to maintain grip in turbulent air. That would normally work, but I'm afraid the bigger downforce will negate that.

Let's hope it goes better than that though, and the wider tires will allow them to maintain grip in turbulent air.

Good post. Agreed on all points.

I didn't watch all the practices but heard them say there were 3 spins and crashes in each of them. Riciardo lost grip coming off of a corner and wiped out all by himself so maybe the wider tires aren't all that grippy? Or maybe its car setup.

That's something to watch out for tomorrow.

Wow these new cars friggen rip! I knew the lap times were going to drop but you can see the difference. They obliterate the corners. Like the laws of physics don't apply.

It's here, finally. Hoping Vettel gets a good start and makes this interesting.

Hamilton got a great start for once. Good stuff.

Vettel is all over Hamilton, wow. This is different.

Shame for Ricciardo.

NBCSN broadcasters trying to tell us that an undercut strategy won't work because these tires take too long to warm up. They're arguing that Vettel's best bet would be the opposite, to wait for Hamilton to pit and gain on him while he's on new rubber. That seems like a stretch to me, and Vettel is reporting that his tires are already going away. I'd still try the undercut, at least it provides an opening and could force Mercedes off strategy.

Back
Top Bottom