2017 Charlotte - Coca-Cola 600 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
NASCAR heads to Charlotte Motor Speedway for Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and NASCAR XFINITY Series events.

Note: All times are ET

THURSDAY, MAY 25:
ON TRACK
— 2-3:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1
— 4-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, FS1
— 6-6:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, FS1
— 7:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FS1

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
— 1:30 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
— 3:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series

SATURDAY, MAY 27:
ON TRACK
— 9-9:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1
— 10:05 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FS1
— 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, FS1
— 1 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Hisense 4K TV 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), FS1

SUNDAY, MAY 28:
ON TRACK
— 6 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coca-Cola 600 (400 laps, 600 miles), FOX

maybe if Pontiac returned race would be better because Pontiac had a different aero body

Outside of the party we have that goes along with this race, there's really not much I get excited about when it comes to the 600. This is the first of three summer weekends that we break out the outdoor big screen to watch the race. The norm is about 30+ to take in this event as well as the 4th of July and Labor Day races. Many of the people that are there are NASCAR fans and others, not so much. Prior to the race we'll write down the car numbers on small pieces of paper and place them into a hat. Everyone pitches in $5 and that entitles them to draw a number from the hat and that becomes their driver for the race. Winner takes all. It's not much money to loose but it's nice when you win. It's made many noon NASCAR fans fans of at least one race during the season. Some much longer than that.

Theres a solid chance this will be the first race Ive ever voluntarily made the decision to skip. If its going to be 600 miles of the ASR, Id rather listen to Ozzy read the dictionary.

From what I read the ASR was sleep inducing so I hope something changes for the 600. Nascar may need to reintroduce the bogus caution flag in order to keep things bunched up and cars on the lead lap

I'm having an all day party/BBQ this coming Sunday for the 500 and 600. Should be a good time no matter what happens in the 600 :cheers:

Same here as I will be at the cottage and that is a guaranteed good time.

Ol lady said she wanted to go to the race, so looks like I'll be there in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the nice thing about Nascar races these days as you don't have to decide months in advance if you are going or not.

Outside of the party we have that goes along with this race, there's really not much I get excited about when it comes to the 600. This is the first of three summer weekends that we break out the outdoor big screen to watch the race. The norm is about 30+ to take in this event as well as the 4th of July and Labor Day races. Many of the people that are there are NASCAR fans and others, not so much. Prior to the race we'll write down the car numbers on small pieces of paper and place them into a hat. Everyone pitches in $5 and that entitles them to draw a number from the hat and that becomes their driver for the race. Winner takes all. It's not much money to loose but it's nice when you win. It's made many noon NASCAR fans fans of at least one race during the season. Some much longer than that.

Awesome idea. I might have to steal it for my party. Thanks in advance :cheers:

I cannot wait! Greatest race of the year! I will watch every damn lap!

I hope each lap is worth watching and if it is I will be doing the same as you and if not the FF button will be used liberally as watching an aero snooze-fest does nothing for me.

Awesome idea. I might have to steal it for my party. Thanks in advance :cheers:
No problem. We've been doing this as long as I can remember. If you want more detail on how to make this game fair to everyone, as there may be multiple picks, just PM me and I can give you details. Everyone that takes part in our game seems to enjoy it, win or lose. Mostly lose.

Curious, does the 600 get the KB Official Real Race Stamp of Approval? Sorry, had to ask.

Race was never called into question, the track was. To your point, yes, this is Kyle's favorite track. Interesting, isn't it? A track he had never won on in a Cup car until Saturday is his favorite. I find that fascinating.

Race was never called into question, the track was. To your point, yes, this is Kyle's favorite track. Interesting, isn't it? A track he had never won on in a Cup car until Saturday is his favorite. I find that fascinating.

In a way it is interesting but DW said he never practiced much at tracks he wasn't that great on but instead practiced on his successful tracks so he could get even better. At first blush it didn't make much sense but after thinking about it for a while it did make sense to me.

When I was a kid my dad and the folks sitting around us would play this game in the Daytona Grandstands, I of course had no idea what they were doing back then.

They're applying VHT to and utilizing a tire-dragging machine over the upper groove. Makes sense considering how sucked to the bottom the field was on Saturday night.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-c...otte-s-track-surface-for-this-weekend-909516/

Whoah time out, there's apparently more to this story:

@jeff_gluck I noticed a stained lower groove during Allstar race. Was informed they applied it there last week. I'll let you ponder that for a moment…

— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) May 23, 2017

So I guess CMS applied the VHT to the lower groove last week and told nobody about it? It makes sense now why everybody was glued to the bottom last weekend. And now they're putting it on the top groove to cover up the mistake. Here's a thought, how about leaving the surface alone and see what happens?

@jeff_gluck I noticed a stained lower groove during Allstar race. Was informed they applied it there last week. I'll let you ponder that for a moment…

So I guess CMS applied the VHT to the lower groove last week and told nobody about it? It makes sense now why everybody was glued to the bottom last weekend. And now they're putting it on the top groove to cover up the mistake. Here's a thought, how about leaving the surface alone and see what happens?
:bsflag:

I am missing this on DJR's twitter, unless it was deleted or I am blind. Probably the latter.

On Gluck's web or twitter the only thing is news about the TrackBite VHT they are putting on there

Back
Top Bottom