2017 - Daytona 500 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series will hit Daytona International Speedway in February for the season-opening Daytona Speedweeks. Check out the full schedule below.

Note: All times are ET; this schedule will be updated with full TV listings

FRIDAY, FEB. 17:

ON TRACK
-- 5-5:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice for The Clash at Daytona
-- 6:30-7:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice for The Clash at Daytona

SATURDAY, FEB. 18:

ON TRACK
-- 12:30-1:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice
-- 2:30-3:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice
-- 8 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Advance Auto Parts Clash at Daytona (75 laps, 187.5 miles), FS1

SUNDAY, FEB. 19:

ON TRACK
-- 3:10 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 Qualifying (single vehicle/two rounds)

THURSDAY, FEB. 23:
ON TRACK
-- Noon-12:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first duels practice
-- 1-1:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series second duels practice
-- 2-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice
-- 4-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice
-- 7 p.m.: First Can-Am Duel race (60 laps, 150 miles), FS1
-- 9 p.m. (approx.): Second Can-Am Duel race (60 laps, 150 miles), FS1

FRIDAY, FEB. 24:
ON TRACK
-- Noon-12:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice
-- 1-1:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 practice
-- 2-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice
-- 3-3:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 practice
-- 4:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Qualifying (single vehicle/two rounds)
-- 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series NextEra Energy Resources 250 (100 laps, 250 miles), FS1

SATURDAY, FEB. 25:
ON TRACK
-- 10:30 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Qualifying (single vehicle/two rounds)
-- 1-1:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 final practice
-- 3:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Powershares QQQ 300 (120 laps, 300 miles), FS1

SUNDAY, FEB. 26:
ON TRACK
-- 2 p.m.: Daytona 500 (200 laps, 500 miles), FOX

Scheduled Race Re-Air Dates/Times:

Monday, February 27 at 3:00am/et on FS1;
Tuesday, February 28 at 6:30am/et on FS1

PRACTICE & QUALIFYING
Dates / Times / TV coverage

(these times in eastern time)​

• Clash Practices:
    Friday, February 17, 5:00 - 5:55 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Friday, February 17, 6:30 - 7:25 pm/et, TV-FS1

• Daytona 500 Practices:
    Saturday, February 18, 12:30 - 1:25 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Saturday, February 18, 2:30 - 3:25 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Thursday, February 23 (Duel 1), 12:00 - 12:55 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Thursday, February 23 (Duel 2), 1:00 - 1:55 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Friday, February 24, 1:00 - 1:55 pm/et, TV-FS1
    Friday, February 24, 3:00 - 3:55 pm/et, TV-FS1

• Happy Hour 'Final' practice: Saturday, February 25, 1:00 - 1:55 pm/et, TV-FS1

• Qualifying: qualifying for positions 1-2, Sunday, February 19 at 3:10 pm/et, TV-FOX, no re-air scheduled.

• Qualifying Races - Can-AM Duel 150's: Thursday, February 23 at 7:00 pm/et, TV-FS1, re-air scheduled for Friday, February 24 at 6:00am/et on FS1.

Awesome to see the D500 commercials during the Super Bowl last night.
You mean the "Daytona Day" ads that featured no racing footage of a race car series? Especially with the finish from last season?

Failure of epic proportions, imo.

You mean the "Daytona Day" ads that featured no racing footage of a race car series? Especially with the finish from last season?

Sorry, I didn't care that there wasn't any footage. Just seeing the promotion pumped me up.

Ready to get the season started. :)

Eye's on the sport, especially as many that were tuned in last night, are a good thing, race footage or no race footage. Chances are the race footage would have consisted of wrecks and flying/tumbling cars anyway.

Eye's on the sport, especially as many that were tuned in last night, are a good thing, race footage or no race footage. Chances are the race footage would have consisted of wrecks and flying/tumbling cars anyway.
Eyes on the sport? It was eyes on a TV spot lol.

Looking at the overall reaction to this year's race format changes, NASCAR will be lucky to have more eyes on the sport.

Im excited for racing to be on as always, but am seriously bummed with the racing format decision. I'll surprise myself if I watch 50% of the races this season.

Looking at the overall reaction to this year's race format changes, NASCAR will be lucky to have more eyes on the sport.

Im excited for racing to be on as always, but am seriously bummed with the racing format decision. I'll surprise myself if I watch 50% of the races this season.
You can't get anyone interested in it if they don't know it exists. A commercial during the Super Bowl is a good thing. Not sure how that can be deemed otherwise.

Last edited:

I just hope to be able to understand what I am watching !!

You can't get anyone interested in it if they don't know it exists.
Are you under the impression that football fans & sports fans in general dont know the daytona 500 is a thing? And havent seen multiple D500 ads on ESPN & FOX?

Are you under the impression that football fans & sports fans in general dont know the daytona 500 is a thing? And havent seen multiple D500 ads on ESPN & FOX?
Are you under the impression that football fans and sports fans in general don't know the GMC Sierra pickup truck is a thing and haven't seen multiple GMC Sierra ads on ESPN and FOX?

Are you under the impression that football fans and sports fans in general don't know the GMC Sierra pickup truck is a thing and haven't seen multiple GMC Sierra ads on ESPN and FOX?
Oh, now I see how it is. You wanted me to stop with common sense just so you could take over?

I didnt say people didnt know it exists :idunno:

I look at promoting the sport as a positive for the sport. I guess I'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

C3_URreUEAEmsWO.jpg:large

I look at promoting the sport as a positive for the sport. I guess I'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
As do I, certainly. But NASCAR has a niche market. An incredibly loyal market that is passed to their next generation that have invested time & money into the sport.

Turning a back to that niche & throwing darts to attract loose outliers hasnt worked, isnt working & will never work.

I heard they will be giving fans calculators & abacuses at Phoenix to figure it all out ;) :p

It disturbs me that I can watch the Tour de France (a 21 day bike race) and completely understand the complex rules and scoring but when I watch the first NASCAR race this year I won't know what the hell is going on !!!

I fear that if it keeps going like this that I will be watching races by myself !!!

omggggggggggggggggggggg is it time???? holly frickin leaping larry lizards!

The only fans that aren't happy are the existing ones that are afraid of change even when the change is good. I think the format and even more so the sponsor change might lure some people in. Monster is a heavyweight brand with a lifestyle feel. The brand will open up a lot of eyes to NASCAR if they advertise well.

As do I, certainly. But NASCAR has a niche market. An incredibly loyal market that is passed to their next generation that have invested time & money into the sport.

Turning a back to that niche & throwing darts to attract loose outliers hasnt worked, isnt working & will never work.

Incredibly loyal, I don't think so. So many "fans" here just bitch and then admit "well I haven't really watched too many races in the last five years anyway...".

I'm sick of the old NASCAR fans. I've been watching the sport for 19 years and I want to see fans latch on that enjoy hard racing and are NASCAR enthusiasts, not perennial whiners.

Incredibly loyal, I don't think so. So many "fans" here just bitch and then admit "well I haven't really watched too many races in the last five years anyway...".

I'm sick of the old NASCAR fans. I've been watching the sport for 19 years and I want to see fans latch on that enjoy hard racing and are NASCAR enthusiasts, not perennial whiners.
Right? At the end of the day I don't give a $#!+ about the points system, or segments, or anything else except maybe shortened races (below 400 miles, Pocono and Dover have greatly benefited from that change). I just want to watch 40 cars hammer it around a racetrack without being afraid that if they bump a guy out of the way, they'll get the 20 to life.

It disturbs me that I can watch the Tour de France (a 21 day bike race) and completely understand the complex rules and scoring but when I watch the first NASCAR race this year I won't know what the hell is going on !!!
I fear that if it keeps going like this that I will be watching races by myself !!!
Seriously, there's rules and scoring? It isn't just 'first one across the line wins'?

As to watching by yourself, if you're watching the Tour de France then I expect you're already used to it. :D

There's rules and scoring? It isn't just 'first one across the line wins'?

As to watching by yourself, if you're watching the Tour de France then I expect you're already used to it. :D

Ha ha ........ actually my oldest daughter is really in to pro cycling and my wife watches as well !! the scenery over there is awesome and they show plenty of it.

I am an old Nascar fan ................. I watch every lap of every race (including practice and qualifying) Some of the changes disturb me but I keep watching ....... there are limits though

Below is the tentative entry list for the Daytona 500 (* denotes non-Charter, open team)

CAR NO. DRIVER TEAM
1 Jamie McMurray Chip Ganassi Racing
2 Brad Keselowski Team Penske
3 Austin Dillon Richard Childress Racing
4 Kevin Harvick Stewart-Haas Racing
5 Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports
6 Trevor Bayne Roush Fenway Racing
7* Elliott Sadler* Tommy Baldwin Racing*
10 Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Racing
11 Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Racing
13 Ty Dillon Germain Racing
14 Clint Bowyer Stewart-Haas Racing