2017 Eldora Dirt Derby Pre Race

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
Figured I'd get this going since it's tomorrow evening. I'm headed down and wondered who else was? Easily the best NASCAR race I've routinely attended, it's like watching a true throwback race.

Only one cupper, Ty Dillon is racing in this one but my money is on Pierce or Bell to take it home

Found a better schedule
NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES single-truck qualifying (5-6 p.m. ET) (FS1)

NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES qualifying races (7:30-9 p.m. ET) (FS2)

NCWTS SETUP (9-9:30 p.m. ET) (FOX Business Network)

NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES Racing (9:30 p.m. ET) (FOX Business

your boy is in the 63:punkrocke Rico and Bell or in good rides, Bell is probably in the best, Rico is in a Thorsport truck they are going to be two to beat. If Pierce beats those two he is doing something.

your boy is in the 63:punkrocke
Great year ....
dance.gif

FS-1
Qualifying:
Two laps, single truck. Keystone Light Pole qualifying is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET on FS1. A random draw will determine the qualifying order. The fastest qualifier will be awarded the Keystone Light Pole Award, but won’t necessarily start first.
The results of qualifying will determine all starting positions for the five qualifying races; the qualifying races themselves set the lineup for the race.
FS-2
Qualifying Races: Five races, 10 laps each, starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on FS2, and only green-flag laps will be counted. Lineup for the qualifying races will be based on speeds from Keystone Light Pole qualifying. The top five trucks from each qualifying race will automatically transfer to the race. Upon completion of the qualifying races, 25 of the 32 trucks in the field will be set for the race.
Last Chance Qualifying Race: This race will be 15 laps, and the lineup for it will be set based on finishing position in the qualifying races. Only green flag laps will be counted, and the top two finishers of this race will fill lineup positions 26 and 27 for the race.

Lineup spots 28-31 will go to the highest-ranking eligible trucks in owner points that haven’t already earned a starting position through qualifying. The 32nd lineup spot will go to the most recent eligible past series champion. If the 32nd position is not filled by an eligible champion, it will be assigned based on owner points.
Fox Business
Race:
Divided into three stages (40, 50 and 60 laps) with competition cautions at the breaks on Laps 40 and 90. Caution laps will not count during competition cautions and positions can’t be improved on pit road. Teams are not required to pit during competition cautions. Those that remain on the track will restart in front of those that pit.

Found a better schedule
NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES single-truck qualifying (5-6 p.m. ET) (FS1)

NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES qualifying races (7:30-9 p.m. ET) (FS2)

NCWTS SETUP (9-9:30 p.m. ET) (FOX Business Network)

NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES Racing (9:30 p.m. ET) (FOX Business
Boy, that's all over the place. Interesting that the Qs are on the sports feeds and the main is over on Bidness.

kick ball is on FS-1. I've been told more people watch that than a Wednesday night dirt truck race. They like to sing too, the trucks would be too noisy to hear themselves sing.

Christopher Bell: Eldora is "favorite race track in the world"

if that doesn’t spell trouble for his fellow NASCAR Camping World Truck Series competitors, nothing does.

Driving for Kyle Damn Busch too.
Oh Oh.
“I grew up running a lot of laps there. I think over my dirt career here, I’ve run more laps at Eldora than I have anywhere in the world,” Bell said.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-t...-his-favorite-race-track-in-the-world-932470/

your boy is in the 63:punkrocke Rico and Bell or in good rides, Bell is probably in the best, Rico is in a Thorsport truck they are going to be two to beat. If Pierce beats those two he is doing something.
I hope he can pull it off, I think he's got a shot. Why can't we get more dirt races? Don't give me it's more special if it's once a year. Any dirt race is going to better than a 1.5 miler

Bell is already talking smack, he won two nights of the King's Royal and came in second the last night. Love this stuff. Pierce is really good but is an underdog, I love pulling for those and he isn't driving for Kyle Damn Busch.

2nd the year before that, he and Bell had a heck of a battle, both of their trucks were beat to hell.

Sucks that the race is on Fox Business because I don't get that channel. And i'm not sure I'm willing to fight for a tv at the local sports bar anymore. Going to the bar to watch NASCAR is such a pain these days since everyone gives you that look like you're crazy.

Sucks that the race is on Fox Business because I don't get that channel. And i'm not sure I'm willing to fight for a tv at the local sports bar anymore. Going to the bar to watch NASCAR is such a pain these days since everyone gives you that look like you're crazy.
I couldn't find it on my provider either, I did a search and I found it. no FS 2 here. If you get UTube on the web, there are a couple of guys there that stream the race. I have both of them subscribed so let me know. I have some other streams bookmarked that might have something.FWIW.

TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Dirt Bias Ply

Set limits: 4 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side -- D-3014 Right-side -- D-3016

Tire Circumference: Left-side -- 85.79 in. (2,179 mm) Right-side -- 88.50 in. (2,248 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front -- 18 psi Left Rear - 18 psi
Right Front -- 22 psi Right Rear -- 22 psi

Notes: This is a brand new tire combination for NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
teams at Eldora . . .
compared to what was run at Eldora last year, there are both
construction and compound changes on both the left- and right-side, with the net
result being the cars having more grip . . .
this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear
test at Eldora on May 15 . . . drivers participating in that test were Christopher Bell
and Stewart Friesen . . . there are three main differences between this tire set-up
and the one that Camping World Truck teams "normally" run on asphalt ovals --
(1) these are bias ply tires, not radials, and are more compliant and able to envelope
the irregularities of the dirt surface, (2) these tires have a block-style tread pattern
to help evacuate the dirt, not a "slick" or smooth tread, and (3) this left-side tire
(D-3014) is significantly shorter to build in more stagger between the left- and
right-side tires . . . teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Eldora.

Last edited:
Good write up, no Larson this year and that is a disappointment.

Christopher Bell – Bell is the defending winner of this race. Other stats include two top fives and two top ten finishes, with a 1.5 average finish. Bell has also competed in some dirt races after Kentucky, picking up a USAC win, an All Star Sprints win and a World of Outlaw Series win at Eldora this past weekend. Oh, and Bell won the Midget Chili Bowl earlier this year. So yeah, expect Bell to be up front.

Bobby Pierce – Pierce is another favorite when it comes to dirt track racing, especially the last few years, even though the results might not show it. In the last two years that Pierce has competed at Eldora, he battled for the win in the late going. In the 2015 race, he came up one spot short and finished second to race winner Christopher Bell. Last year, he was competing for the win with Cup star Kyle Larson, until he crashed on lap 126, ending his day with a disappointing 25th place finish. Will the third time be the charm for Pierce?

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=126034

Kinda weak for Larson not to defend with all of the hoopla surrounding his non asphalt achievements this year...

Unless there was a valid reason.

Kinda weak for Larson not to defend with all of the hoopla surrounding his non asphalt achievements this year...

Unless there was a valid reason.

I think I read that he is doing a tire test at darlington.

edit - just saw the tire test is today I guess.

I really hope Pierce can get it done this year he's been so strong the last couple years.

FOX moving the Eldora Dirt Derby race to Fox Business is the STUPIDEST IDEA EVER!!!!!

FOX moving the Eldora Dirt Derby race to Fox Business is the STUPIDEST IDEA EVER!!!!!

This is total conspiracy theory, but I think NASCAR wants to kill this event. The event is in the middle of nowhere and it is a grass roots dirt event. Fox puts it on the most obscure channels that many people don't have, then complain that nobody watches the race.

NASCAR fans think this is one of the best events of the year and continue to call for Cup cars on a dirt track.
Put the qual races and main on FOX and watch the viewers tune in! But no, American Ninja Boyband Warrior Idoltry is more important on Wednesday night.

This is total conspiracy theory, but I think NASCAR wants to kill this event. The event is in the middle of nowhere and it is a grass roots dirt event. Fox puts it on the most obscure channels that many people don't have, then complain that nobody watches the race.

NASCAR fans think this is one of the best events of the year and continue to call for Cup cars on a dirt track.
Put the qual races and main on FOX and watch the viewers tune in! But no, American Ninja Boyband Warrior Idoltry is more important on Wednesday night.

It isn't Nascar, it's Fox..again. All about the numbers and Fox is a fine one about the numbers

http://beyondtheflag.com/2017/07/02/fox-sports-alienates-nascar-fans-with-trucks-move-to-fbn/
FOX Sports Alienates NASCAR Fans with Trucks Move to FBN

I think I read that he is doing a tire test at darlington.

edit - just saw the tire test is today I guess.

I get it though, he's in a championship hunt, he can take a day off. I like tire changes, more speed definitely helps the cream to rise as it's harder to hold onto

I love how these cars perform actually very similar to a late model car here, dirt late models at the dream are typically around 18 secs a lap, these guys are doing 21 secs roughly in a truck and running multiple lines

i'm a huge dirt late model fan. some perspective:

history of the dirt late model version of the Daytona 500 (it's the trophy, not the money):

https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-major.php?id=8

http://insidedirtracing.com/joey-coulter-compares-dirt-late-models-to-nascar-trucks-at-eldora/

"
Joey Coulter compares Dirt Late Models to NASCAR Trucks at Eldora
Richard Allen July 16, 2017 July 16, 2017NASCAR

Joey Coulter

Joey Coulter is one of only a handful of racers to have steered both a Dirt Late Model and a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series machine around the Eldora Speedway. In 2016, the Miami Springs, Fla. native finished 12th in his heat race and came up short in his bid to make the feature for the prestigious World 100 in his only attempt on the Rossburg, Ohio half-mile clay oval in a Late Model. In 2013 and 2014 the 27-year-old driver scored finishes of 4th and 14th on that same track in a truck.

During the NASCAR portion of his career, Coulter amassed a total of 43 top-10 finishes in the Camping World Truck Series, including one victory at Pocono Raceway in 2012. He finished a career high third in the final standings that season while driving for Richard Childress Racing.

According to Coulter, there have been very few times in which he has been a part of a more electric racing atmosphere than the first time the NASCAR CWTS trucks hit the track at Eldora in 2013.

“The first year, especially, it was great and every year since it is probably one of the most unique races out there right now,” Coulter said in an interview with InsideDirtRacing.com. “The first was just wild because, to us, Daytona is our Daytona, but to those folks who go to that race track it’s their Daytona, it was just neat interacting with the fans. I think a lot of them were really excited, but at the same time, we were looking around and wondering ‘what are we doing here?’.”

Coulter said he and most everyone else was confident that the return of one of NASCAR’s major divisions to dirt would prove to be a success. At the same time, there was a touch of uncertainty. The series will visit Eldora once again this Wednesday night(July 19).

“Everybody thought it was going to work, but nobody knew how,” Coulter explained. “We didn’t know what the racing was going to be like and we didn’t know what the trucks were going to be like. I had started to dabble with the Dirt Late Models and I knew pretty quick that wasn’t going to matter because the trucks are so heavy. They have 700 horsepower on a ten inch tire and that’s not anything like a 1300 Hoosier. The first year was definitely different. It was really unique and it was a good time. We finished fourth the first year running for Kyle Busch Motorsports so we definitely liked it right off the bat and had a pretty good run the next year too. It’s definitely a unique race. I wish some of the Late Model stuff applied a little more but they’re just so different that you almost can’t take anything with you.”

So what are the major differences in the feel of a Late Model versus the truck?

“The biggest thing is that the Dirt Late Model is built to handle that kind of surface with the rear end moving the way it does and all the front travels,” Coulter pointed out. “And being on that extra tire, fifteen inches compared to ten inches, is a pretty big difference as far as contact patches go. And the weight is probably the biggest thing. The trucks are 3,400 pounds and the Late Models are 2,350 pounds. Moving all that weight around and moving it in the right direction is a big challenge for those things because they don’t have the four bars(Dirt Late Model suspension), they have truck arm suspension. That made it interesting, but a lot of fun for sure.”

Another big difference between Late Model racing and NASCAR is that dirt racers are not allowed to use rear view mirrors or spotters. Those are two ‘must have’ components on a NASCAR ride.

“It’s hard to explain,” the World of Outlaws Late Models regular decribed. “In the Dirt Late Model you don’t have spotters and you don’t have mirrors but you can see and hear a lot more than you can out of one of those trucks because you’re so closed in and the seats are bulkier. I think that if they want to make it more interesting there for the trucks, they ought to take away the spotters and radios.”

Coulter’s No. 2 Dirt Late Model

Coulter says that the experience of being involved in the first Camping World Truck Series event on dirt was one of his favorite memories in racing.

“I was really glad we got to be involved in the first one,” he said. “The coolest thing about it is that every year, and they did an amazing job the first year, but Tony Stewart and his crew have made that race better and better every year. The track prep has gotten more dialed in to those trucks. The first year it was all running around the top, there was still good racing and a lot of passing, but the fast groove was up on the top. Every year it seems like the groove is widening out a little more which is going to make it better.”

Coulter’s experience in a Dirt Late Model up to that time proved helpful to his more asphalt oriented truck crew.

“I remember in the heat races I knocked the end of the spoiler in and crunched the quarter panel pretty good,” he recalled. “In between the heats and the feature we were allowed to do a little body work and the guys were working on it but I told them to not bother. We were fighting for about an eight inch strip of moisture up against the wall and the quarter panels are twelve inches behind the tire so something had to give.”

The idea of hoping to find moisture on a race track seems foreign to many NASCAR fans. However, being able to do so can prove to be the difference between winning and losing in dirt racing since moisture provides grip, and grip means traction.

“That’s another thing that’s been so challenging in making the move from pavement to dirt for me,” Coulter admitted. “But for that level of driver to walk into the race track and say ‘this is the new norm’ for a day and a half and to see how a lot of those guys were able to adapt was neat.”

The driver of the No. 2 Rum Runner Racing car says that knowledge of the truck and how it operates is perhaps more important than knowledge of racing on dirt in this one event. That said, Coulter has admiration for a dirt racer such as Bobby Pierce, who has competed so competitively in his Camping World Truck Series races on the Ohio clay.

“It’s just because they’re different,” he said in comparing the two forms of racing. “When it comes down to it, the comfort zone for me at that time was in the truck and now it’s becoming these things. For the truck regulars, that’s where it is. For Bobby Pierce, he had a lot of good people around him who told him this is what we have to work with and this is how they work. And he’s a wheel man to begin with and he’s run there a ton. He kind of has the best of both worlds.”

Having only one race on dirt causes NASCAR CWTS organizations to do a great deal of work that is only used once each season. So, should NASCAR consider finding another dirt racing venue to add to the series schedule?

“I think they could get away with one more,” Coulter declared. “It would need to be some place shaped like Eldora because even at 65-70mph, and when that place slows down that’s about what the trucks are running, it’s still hard to get that kind of weight to stay on the race track. I think they could get away with it, but I would just be afraid that it would take away the uniqueness of it.”

Nothing about the Practice so far on the fox website that is televising the event..plenty of videos o_O

Just checked to see if I have Fox Business and good to go. Can't wait this race is awesome and it's even more awesome to have a mid week race something to look forward to after a work day.

Back
Top Bottom